Transportation Global Category Manager - Distribution and Logistics Procurment
Takeda fosters a collaborative and stimulating work environment filled with opportunity and the chance to make a difference in people's lives. It is a workplace driven by integrity, one of Takeda’s long-held values that extends to both the patients we serve and our employees who develop and deliver medicines. Across our company, Takeda employees bring together diverse strengths that together create a stronger whole.
What makes a successful member of our team?
We take action and make decisions by focusing on our four priorities in this order:
Putting the patient
at the center
Life at Takeda
To keep delivering new value to patients, we provide growth opportunities for every employee according to their abilities and passions, and together are building a stronger organization.
Procurement Lead, Northern Europe
“Takeda is a unique place to work as there is no ‘every-day routine’ around here – it’s very a dynamic environment where change of plans and adjustments of approach are the constants... This allows for interesting cross-function collaboration and – if you’re up for it - a high degree of influence on your daily job and workplace.”
Regional Head, Europe, Vaccines
“Takeda is a great place to work as the company invests in the continuous development of its employees offering training, coaching, mentoring and open exchanges between all levels of the organization. Also, it is fulfilling to know that, within the Vaccine Business Unit, we are developing and delivering innovative vaccines impacting the lives of millions of people around the world.”
Here, you will feel welcomed, respected, and valued as a vital contributor our global team.
A strong, borderless team, we strive together towards our priorities and inspiring mission.
Bold initiatives, continuous improvement, and creativity are at the heart of how we bring scientific breakthroughs from the lab to patients.
Since 1781, the values of Takeda-ism (Integrity, Fairness, Honesty, and Perseverance) have guided everything we do—from decision-making to interacting with patients.
Our people-first mission extends beyond patients to include their families, communities, and our own Takeda family.
Through trust and respect, you will have genuine support from leaders, managers, and colleagues to do your best work.
Transportation Global Category Manager - Distribution and Logistics ProcurmentApply Now
Are you looking for a patient-focused, innovation-driven company that will inspire you and support your career? If so, be empowered to take charge of your future at Takeda. Join us as a Transportation Global Category Manager - Distribution and Logistics Procurement, in our Zurich office.
Takeda is an industry-leading, global pharmaceutical company with an unwavering dedication to putting patients at the center of everything we do. We live our values of Takeda-ism – Integrity, Fairness, Honesty, and Perseverance – and are united by our mission to strive towards Better Health and a Brighter Future for people worldwide through leading innovation in medicine.
Here, everyone matters, and you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission. At Takeda, you will make an impact on people’s lives – including your own.
- The candidate will be responsible for partnering with Regional Procurement colleagues and functional leads to drive strategic sourcing and supply management.
- The candidate will own and lead medium to larger sourcing projects within a category.
- Specific sub-categories within scope include: Transportation and Shipping Systems. Range of category spend to be discussed. A preferred candidate will have an intermediate knowledge level in both categories; will also have strategic sourcing experience with the various sourcing tools and practices used within a world-class Global Procurement organization.
- The position is generally global relationships within the category. The individual may be required to implement a global sourcing strategy into local market(s). The individual will be required to share category responsibilities with Regional Category Manager counterparts in Americas, EMEA, and APAC to ensure alignment from a global sourcing strategy but also soliciting inputs from unique regional needs.
- The position will also support special procurement projects that are global in nature for Distribution and Logistics.
- The role will need to work closely with the functional business units to create value added category strategies and hold strong sourcing events. The candidate will need to have interpersonal, communications and problem-solving skills. They should display a passion for strategic sourcing, supply management and operational procurement.
Category Management & Delivery (40%)
Identify future procurement projects to management by working collaboratively with stakeholders and through category strategy. Co-develop and execute Sourcing Strategies with the Business, advising and guiding the process to the best-fit approach, tactics and tools (e.g. outcome-based specifications, RFP/RFI/RFQ builds, E-auctions, KPI/SLA development). Contribute to raising standards of vendor management (e.g. Post Contract Management (PCM)), Supplier Relationship Management principles by implementing it with suppliers as segmentation and Ways of Working deem appropriate). Deliver excellence in front-end procurement activities, including market research, demand management, spend analytics, Category Strategy development, negotiation, e-sourcing, stakeholder engagement. Deliver procurement activities, including enabling the Business to self-serve Post Contract Management (PCM), KPI & SLA development and tracking, Stakeholder engagement, Communications, Risk and Supplier Relationship Management (SRM). Utilizes established tools/systems & adheres to all Takeda policies.
Internal Stakeholder Relations (30%)
Focused on a target audience of Operational level stakeholders to gain support & buy-in to executing plans. Engage procurement executives as appropriate. Increase engagement with the Business to improve coverage, especially where Procurement is engaged late or not at all. Understand Business area needs, strategies and priorities, communicate these to line management and service accordingly. Ability to explain procurement practices, benefits to the organization, the value of Supplier Relationship Management participation in this Post Contract Management. Meet regularly with stakeholders to ensure alignment & solicit feedback. Demonstrate Takeda values in all relationships (including suppliers).
Processes, Metrics & Execution (10%)
Contribute to the development of robust metrics, methods and systems and inputs with feedback from stakeholders and integration workstream inputs. Use market research to ensure that Takeda stays abreast of latest market cost/value/innovation developments per category. Ensure compliance to policies and audit remediation. Responsible for the negotiation and contract management process. Responsible with the stakeholders for the timely procurement of contract services required for company operations.
Supplier Relations (20%)
Enable Takeda to get the best out of its suppliers by working in partnership with them for mutual good business. Help the Business conduct Post Contract Management (PCM) and facilitate Supplier Relationship Management (SRM) with suppliers as deemed required through segmentation. Segment the supply base with the latest Procurement Center of Excellence (CoE) tools and with the stakeholder involvement. Ensure Procurement, the Business and Suppliers conduct business ethically, and within the Company’s Anti-Corruption and Takeda Supplier Code of Conduct guidelines. Alert the leadership to any improper practice. Encourage Supplier Diversity and sustainability.
- Be a steward of the global procurement policy and ensure adherence within the category. Establish communication channels to ensure internal alignment.
- Achieve spend, savings, cash flow, invoicing, and payment targets and KPIs within category and sub-categories.
- Create and lead a platform for suppliers to bring innovation and sustainability to Takeda.
- Ensure continuous improvement within the category. Monitor industry best practices. Introduce and leverage digital, automation, and contemporary technology (e.g. AI, big data) and work with Takeda Business Services (TBS) Procurement Operations to implement.
- Create, lead and coach cross-functional global teams through the various stages of Category Management and ensure the resources, information, and template and tools are in place for project execution throughout the category. Provide expert support and guidance where required.
- Implement Procurement CoE-led strategic supplier management, supplier risk management, supplier diversity, and CSR programs within the category.
- Ensure appropriate contractual coverage with latest Takeda standard agreements and clearly defined KPIs.
- Support the global development and standardization of core category management infrastructure (Processes / Systems / Tools) and encourage adoption across global category teams to improve overall Procurement efficiency, performance and compliance.
DIMENSIONS AND ASPECTS
Technical/Functional (Line) Expertise
- In-depth knowledge of Transportation category including freight forwarding relationships, Lead Logistics Provider (LLP) concepts, and shipping solutions.
- Successful track record of designing and implementing complex sourcing and procurement strategies that achieved desired results within the category.
- Deep technical expertise in strategic sourcing and procurement.
- Strong business and financial acumen.
- Demonstrate strategic enterprise thinking to find innovative ways to serve the business in a way that centers on patients and builds trust, reputation, and our business. Trusted partner who expresses and influences opinions by grounding them in recommendations that are best for the enterprise.
- Strategic thinker with solid facilitation ability supported by excellent interpersonal competencies (communication, leadership, influencing).
- Bias for action and ability to establish global category vision/strategies that translate into regional, or local results.
- Creates an environment that inspires and enables people to move the organization forward.
- Leads the organization on a change journey with discipline, transparency and authenticity.
Focuses on the few priorities that matter most and delivers superior results
Decision-making and Autonomy
- Proven capability in negotiation, conflict resolution and stakeholder management.
- Ability to lead and manage effectively in a global, fluid, interactive, matrix environment.
- Demonstrated abilities in high value project/program management of high-performing global teams.
- Leadership experience in team management, governance models, and supplier management, both strategic and operational/day-to-day.
- Knowledge of current and emerging trends in strategic sourcing, negotiating, contracting, strategic supplier management, supply chain, and procurement.
- Knowledge of the latest category trends to enable the function and deliver world class services.
- Creative and practical problem solver.
- Highly complex mix of stakeholders across multiple BUs and/or countries who have both global and local agendas.
- Highly regulated industry
EDUCATION, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- BA or BS required.
- Demonstrated ability of working with cross functional teams in a complex, changing environment to deliver value-added results to the organization.
- 10+ years of procurement experience preferably within Transportation/Logistics
- Pharmaceutical industry highly preferable
- Procurement Certification preferred, CPSM or other.
- Demonstrated ability of Category Management.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate ideas and influence others.
- Indirect functional expertise and role.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver value-added results to the organization by applying financial analysis principles and procurement discipline.
- Demonstrated ability to apply Takeda’s operating philosophy, policies and procedures.
Global travel up to 10%.
All candidates must hold a Swiss Work Visa or an EU Passport
Job ID R0017319