Lead, Corporate Reputation and Issues ManagementApply NowEmail Me Job ID R0020665 Date posted 06/29/2020 Location: Tokyo, Japan
Takeda is in the process of creating a more robust global External Communications presence. As part of this, the company seeks to appoint an experienced Corporate Reputation and Issues Management Lead.
As a Corporate Reputation and Issues Management Lead working in the Global External Communications team, you will be responsible for enhancing and protecting Takeda's corporate reputation globally. You will support the development of global external communications strategies, programs and messaging that position Takeda strategically with external stakeholders and will ensure strategic alignment between global and Japan communications. On a typical day as a Corporate Reputation and Issues Management Lead based in Japan, you will:
- Input to and devise global messaging and positioning, tailoring this to the Japanese market accordingly and ensuring messaging alignment between global and Japan communications
- Partner with the Japan External Communications team and Business Unit / Function communications leads to align communications strategies and messaging
- Partner with the Japan External Communications team to align and coordinate corporate reputation programs and activities and issues management to ensure a joined-up approach globally
- Input to and devise global CSR and sustainability communication approaches and messaging, tailoring to the Japanese market accordingly and ensuring alignment between global and Japan communications
- Provide input to the global external communications strategy
- Partner with Japan External Communications team and BU / Function communications leads to ensure alignment with the global external communications strategy
- Partner with other functional areas within Global External Communications to execute globally integrated communications strategies
Corporate Narrative & Messaging
- Provide input to the development and maintenance of Takeda’s corporate narrative
- Partner with Japan External Communications team and tailor Takeda’s global corporate narrative, messaging and positioning to the Japanese market accordingly
- Ensure narrative and messaging alignment between global and Japan communications
- Partner with the Japan External Communications team to align and coordinate corporate reputation programs and activities across BUs/Functions in Japan
- Partner with Japan External Communications team to ensure aligned approaches to issues and crises communications at a global and Japan level
CSR & Sustainability Communications
- Input to and devise global CSR and sustainability communication approaches and messaging
- Tailor global CSR and sustainability communications and messaging to the Japanese market accordingly, while ensuring alignment between global and Japan communications
Team & budget management
- Collaborate with global colleagues on the execution and delivery of key external communications strategy priorities
- Manage budgets as required and monitor and report progress to the Head of Global External Communications
- Identify, brief and manage suitable PR / communications agencies to progress and develop key activities where needed
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- A skilled communications strategy mindset continuously focused on desired and measurable business outcomes
- Can prioritize projects that directly support business objectives and where communications can add clear value
- Demonstrates ability to present unique or complex ideas, strategies, and results succinctly and persuasively at the senior executive level
- Can establish connections that others do not, and generate a wide array of useful solutions to solve problems
- Crafts strategic, high-level company positioning in the market linked to desired reputation and positioning attributes
- Ability to anticipate problems and opportunities, accurately estimate the likelihood of their occurring, and isolate their key drivers to manage them efficiently
- Excellent communication and presentation skills consistently exhibiting professional maturity, confidence and competence
- Global understanding, acumen and the knowledge of how to work in an international structure and varied cultures
- Passionate about and knowledgeable of the pharmaceutical and/or life sciences sector
- Selects messaging style based on the desired stakeholder reaction and modifies it to be channel appropriate.
- Messaging is compliant and consistent with functional, organizational and corporate narratives, and effectively targets behavior change where possible
- Explores sophisticated audience segmentations to review and edit content, materials and messages prior to being sent out for public or broad viewing. Has thorough knowledge of audience’s key values and uses it to achieve external communications goals and objectives
- Has a solid understanding of channel benefits and options and thoughtfully selects the most beneficial channel mix depending on audience and desired outcomes
- Strong interpersonal and partnering skills, and able to work effectively work with multi-disciplinary project teams and within a multinational company
- Ability to work effectively with all levels of management and resolve problems in a timely manner
- Builds constructive relationships across the organization to build trust, rapport and effectively influence external partners
- Confidently engages with senior leaders and provide strategic counsel and feedback
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work with outside business partners, including PR and Communications agencies
- Ability to coach communications colleagues and business partners in core external communications skills, strategies and best practice
- Initiates and maintains work schedule and priorities; must be able to manage workflow and handle multiple projects simultaneously in a high-volume environment, while meeting deadlines and attention to details
- Efficiently uses the full range of technologies required for the role, and remains open to learning and adopting new technologies quickly where needed
- Connects communication activities to behavioral/tactical metrics and measures project success by monitoring all metrics appropriately and effectively to translate findings into recommendations for action.
- Manages budget as required and monitors and reports progress to key stakeholders
- Minimum of 8 years’ experience in a corporate communications, issues or public affairs-related function
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience in healthcare or pharmaceutical industry strongly desired
- Bachelor's degree; concentration in communication, journalism, political science, or business is preferred.
- Expertise in communications campaign planning, development, execution, and measurement in the healthcare industry is necessary
- Demonstrated experience in corporate reputation and issues management at a global scale
- Experience of working with C-suite level executives and proven record of building and maintaining excellent stakeholder relationships – within teams, across the business, with senior leaders and external agencies.
- Experience and understanding of multi-cultural, multi-country/region businesses is preferred
- Fluency in English and Japanese
- Manual dexterity required to operate office equipment (i.e. computers, phones, etc.).
- Carrying, handling and reaching for objects.
- Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time while traveling.