Head, Sustainability IntegrationApply NowEmail Me Job ID R0020353 Date posted 06/30/2020 Location: Tokyo, Japan
Since Takeda's founding in 1781, creating value for society has been an important priority for the company. Today, we have several programs that contribute to a sustainable society while strengthening our reputation. This approach helps to create trust with our many stakeholders while taking into account the long-term viability of our business. Increasingly, investors around the world are recognizing that companies who place an emphasis on purpose-led sustainability deliver better value in the long term, show better resilience, attract better talent, present fewer legal risks and deliver long-term success. This role will lead the development and implementation of a Purpose-led Sustainability strategy to:
- Focus our core assets and capabilities on solving important societal challenges
- Operate in a way that respects stakeholders' needs and expectations
- Enhance the long-term value of Takeda
- Work with key stakeholders, develop a global sustainability strategy and roadmap in line with our purpose, vision and values, and focus on the areas of Patient (sustainable healthcare, responsible innovation), People (employee well being, organizational health) and Planet (climate change). Determine appropriate KPIs with stake holders and be accountable for monitoring progress towards attaining the to-be state.
- Take a leading role in the sustainability governance process (decision making, due diligence, implementation, disclosure). Supervise analysis of current state in terms of sustainability exposure of the current portfolio, and propose actions.
- Engage and be a thought partner to Takeda Executive Team (TET) members regarding sustainability / environment / social /governance (ESG) topics.
- Lead the Takeda Sustainability Network, a cross-functional body with “champions” from different businesses and “partners” from organizations such as Corporate Strategy and Investor Relations, and oversee program management.
- Act as an ambassador for sustainability, and drive awareness among employees.
- Engage with external experts in the field to keep the enterprise up to speed in this evolving field, evaluate sustainability innovations and new ideas, and drive continuous improvement across a wide array of sustainability priority areas.
- Supervise creation of annual Sustainable Value Report and eventual evolution into a creation of an integrated report.
- Review ESG/sustainability indicies in partnership with IR and External Comms, and manage acquisition/maintenance of ratings/indices (Dow Jones Sustainability Indices, FTSE4Good, etc.).
- Manage, coach and develop a team of sustainability professionals.
CORE ELEMENTS RELATED TO THIS ROLE:
- Drive change within the organization to move from “good” to “great” in the area of sustainability.
- Inclusive leadership (good listener, influencer, able to lead from behind)
- Work with a wide array of stakeholders across the globe and shaping the direction of the company.
DIMENSIONS AND ASPECTS:
Technical/Functional (Line) Expertise
- Recognized as an expert or has the passion for the field of sustainability
- Strong business acumen / understanding of the business value chain
- Strong analytical skills
- Capable of setting the vision for an organization, and inspiring team members to strive toward the attainment of goals
- Builds an inclusive work environment, and develops the organization for the future
- Has an enterprise mindset, and capable of focusing on the few priorities that matter
Decision-making and Autonomy
- Capable of making decisions about complex matters – global scale, multiple stakeholders
- Frequent interaction with senior internal (executive-level) and external (agencies, associations) stakeholders
- Needs to be able to influence without authority at a senior level
- Capable of looking / thinking ahead, and proposing innovative solutions
- Needs to be able to share and communicate knowledge / expertise
- Dealing with issues on a global scale, which encompass all parts of the value chain (R&D, manufacturing, supply, commercial, etc.)
EDUCATION, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Strong leadership skills – big picture thinking, focusing on the few key priorities, creating an inclusive environment in which people can thrive, and developing the organization for the future
- High-level relationship building and influencing skills – can gain buy-in for ideas and proposals, and generate consensus among stakeholders
- Strategic/enterprise mindset; capable of creating and articulating a vision
- Program management experience
- Excellent budget management track record
- Quantitative and qualitative analytical skills; data-driven decision making
- Excellent team player
- Fluent in English; knowledge of Japanese a plus
- International work experience would be a plus
- 10~15 years in sustainability or corporate social responsibility