Associate Director, Global Media & Executive CommunicationsApply Now Email Me Job ID R0010974 Date posted 07/26/2019 Location: Tokyo, Japan
- The primary role of this position is to plan and execute external communication activities, including management of press releases on global announcements and support on media relations for Takeda Executive Team (TET) members.
- He/she leads the execution of media outreach strategy on global topics, aligned with company vision, mission, and strategy. He/she conducts ongoing relationship building and information sharing with Japanese and global top-tier media.
- He/she coordinates media-related activities by all Business Units and Regions, in partnership with communication leaders, particularly Communications Leadership Team (CLT) members.
- Manage finalization of press releases in partnership with new owners (BUs/Regions)
- Distribute global press releases to press clubs, wire services, etc.
- Build/maintain relationships and share information with Japanese/Global top-tier media as contact person in charge
- Respond to inquiries (questions, requests, etc.) from media
- Educate media by planning and executing explanatory meeting/seminars for media to foster greater understanding of our company, strategy, and news.
- Provide counsel and communications support to CEO/TET members for media briefings, issues management, and critical communication strategies taking into account different cultural contexts between Global HQ (in Japan) and outside of Japan
- Prepare and write key executive communications materials and ensure that they are reviewed and approved for internal and external use in a timely manner
- Support crisis management activities by Crisis Management leaders; support related external communications
CORE ELEMENTS RELATED TO THIS ROLE
- In-depth knowledge of corporate communications, Japanese/Global media
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills to engage with external stakeholders and internal executives
DIMENSIONS AND ASPECTS
Technical/Functional (Line) Expertise
- Proven track record of strategic writing and document creation for C-Suite level executives, with a keen understanding of both Japanese and non-Japanese corporate cultures
- Experience as a communication strategist and counselor for top executives, specifically TET members, and CLT members to align with HQ executive messaging
- Experience managing external PR agencies in alignment with communication/media strategy
- Process oriented with excellent project management skills required
- Proven successful working in multi-cultural, multi-national organizations
- Able to clearly communicate and foster alignment across all levels of the organization
Decision-making and Autonomy
- Ability to deploy solutions and collaborate effectively with a wide, cross-functional team of colleagues
- Able to influence stakeholders in a matrix organization, with ability to ensure delivery of solutions at all levels of the organization
- Ability to analyze problems, collect information and recommend unbiased decisions in a timely manner
- Able to clearly communicate and foster alignment across all levels of the organization, acrossthe globe offices
- Build strong cross-functional relationships with team members
- Strong ability to build external partnerships with industry partners and suppliers
- Exceptional oral and written communication abilities in English. Native-level English language skill is a must, and Japanese language skill is plus.
Innovation(The required level of scientific knowledge, knowledge sharing, innovation and risk taking)
- Generates breakthrough media and communications solutions, and enables others to do the same
- Creative problem-solving: draws on unexpected or seemingly unrelated ways of thinking
Complexity(Products managed, mix of businesses, internal and/or external business environment, cultural considerations)
- Able to present issues and recommended solutions in a succinct manner to Global, Senior, and Executive Management on a frequent basis
- Adept at managing relationships with key external 3rd party venders
- Able to maintain a high level of organizational diplomacy to deal with complex internal stakeholders, specifically C-suite/executive leaders
EDUCATION, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:(List the essential and desirable education and competency requirements to perform the primary responsibilities of the job. Any minimum requirements should be noted.)
- 5+ years' experience in corporate communications and/or any communication-related function. Healthcare industry experience preferable
- Bachelor's degree; concentration in communication, journalism, political science, marketing or business preferred. MBA or other advanced degree highly preferred
- Native English fluency and Japanese fluency required with
- Profound understanding of media relations
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including in oral and written communication
- Clear and deep understanding of Japanese culture (HQ corporate culture) and societal and business norms strongly desired