Medical Associate Director - Rare DiseaseApply Now Email Me Job ID SR0040583 Date posted 09/13/2019 Location: São Paulo, Brazil
Provide a brief summary describing the major role, responsibilities and purpose of the job. Summarize key areas of accountability and budget responsibility, if applicable.
Develop and execute medical strategy for RD products and respective therapeutic areas and contribute to the development of commercial strategies.
Describe the essential job duties. After each, provide an estimate of the percent of time typically devoted to each responsibility (use increments of 5%, all time spent should total to 100% of time allocation). To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Please note the percentage of time spent on each job duty is an estimate for normal operating conditions.
- Develop and execute a medical plan for the respective therapeutic area.
- Manage Medical Affairs related to a disease/product or group of products, in the area of Brazil.
- In conjunction with the Country Medical Head, mdevelop the Brazilian medical strategy, then establish and maintain professional, peer-type relationships with key opinion leaders (KOLs) and other key clients in each of the therapeutic Areas.
- Provide professional leadership for the medical/scientific aspects of Shire HGT Brazil’s symposia, workshops, satellite symposia and other meetings, including speaker contacts, and post-conference publications.
- Coordinate, at affiliate level, medical advice and support for the company’s observational databases (e.g. Fabry & Hunter Outcome Surveys), including interactions with national physician governing boards and database related activities.
- Where appropriate, contribute to the design of Shire HGT sponsored Phase IIIb and Phase IV clinical trials consistent with publication plans.
- Provide medical input to Brazil sales and marketing strategies.
- Review and approval of the medical aspects of Brazil promotional and other materials.
- Review of current literature, providing relevance to our products and markets.
- Contribute to the wider Regional and Global Medical Affairs group ensuring knowledge sharing and optimization.
- Assist with the training of internal personnel on Medical and scientific aspects of the business.
- Provide medical input into Affiliate and, if relevant, regional or global Business Development activities.
- Implementation of and medical approval for appropriate compassionate use programmes.
- Integrate discussion group for external support requests (e.g. IIRs, grants)
Education & Experience Requirements
Include educational requirements or equivalency, required years and type(s) of experience, and necessary licenses or certificates. Specify which are required and which are preferred.
- A Medical Doctor with Specialization degree.
- At least 2 years of experience in Medical Affairs in the Pharma/Biotech industry or in the therapeutic area
Key Skills and Competencies
Describe critical skills needed to successfully perform job, which should be representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- A strong scientific background and scientific curiosity.
- Ability to combine medical experience and knowledge with commercial application.
- Excellent interpersonal skills – confident, with the ability to gain respect and build lasting relationships with KOLs.
- Planning and organizational ability.
- Self-starter, able to set stretch goals.
- Demonstrate accountability and ownership capabilities
- Languages: Fluent in English and Portuguese. Fluency in other relevant languages are an advantage but not essential.
Other Job Components
Complexity and Problem Solving
Describe the decisions made by the incumbents on a regular basis. Include decisions within the incumbent’s authority to make as well as those decisions that must be referred to a higher level.
The person in this position will be responsible for all day to day decisions regarding medical scientific plan and implications for the commercial activities involving a given product or group of products of Shire HGT in Brazil, consistent with agreed global, Latin America and local strategies and within agreed operating expenses. Any deviation from strategy must be agreed in advance with the manager.
Internal and External Contacts
List contacts this job advises, consults and coordinates with on a regular basis. Describe to whom this job is accountable. Indicate each Contact Category (Internal, Vendor, Customer, or Other) and provide examples.
- Accountable to the Head of Brazil Medical Affairs
- Coordinate the work of MSLs alongsinde with the RD MSL manager
- Internal contacts, mainly but not limited to:
- Brazilian Marketing, Sales and Access teams.
- Personnel in Latin America and Global Medical function.
- External contacts, mainly but not limited to
- Key opinion leaders
- Heads of patient organisations
- Access stakeholders
- Health Authorities when solicited to.
List any other job requirements, including domestic travel, international travel, driver’s license, physical abilities required, etc.
- Location: Brazil, Sao Paulo
- Travel: some travel to Latin America, Europe and USA.
Notice to Employment / Recruitment Agents:
Employment / Recruitment agents may only submit candidates for vacancies only if they have written authorization to do so from Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda’s Talent Acquisition department. Any agency candidate submission may only be submitted to positions opened to the agency through the specific Agency Portal. Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda will only pay a fee for candidates submitted or presented where there is a fully executed contract in place between the Employment / Recruitment agents and Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda and only if the candidate is submitted via the Agency Portal. Candidates submitted or presented by Employment / Recruitment Agents without a fully executed contract or submitted through this site shall not be deemed to form part of any Engagement for which the Agency may claim remuneration.