Research Associate Scientist, GI Motility In Vivo Pharmacology
San Diego, California
Takeda fosters a collaborative and stimulating work environment filled with opportunity and the chance to make a difference in people's lives. It is a workplace driven by integrity, one of Takeda’s long-held values that extends to both the patients we serve and our employees who develop and deliver medicines. Across our company, Takeda employees bring together diverse strengths that together create a stronger whole.
As one of the world’s leading biopharmaceutical companies, Takeda is committed to bringing Better Health and a Brighter future to people worldwide. We aspire to bring our leadership in translating science into life-changing medicines to the next level, in our core focus areas; oncology, gastroenterology, neuroscience, rare diseases, plasma-derived therapies, and vaccines.
Takeda California generates highly disease-specific and patient-tailored transformative new medicines aligned with Takeda’s global market strategies through research in Gastrointestinal (GI), Neuroscience and Immunology. Takeda California’s team of experienced scientists and clinicians deliver on the needs of patients by blending its internal capabilities, global Takeda resources, and expertise and technology from best-in-class external partners. Takeda California has opened a new 165,000 square-foot building which is an external innovation and collaboration hub for San Diego.
We are a passionate team doing important work that impacts patients’ lives. If you are driven to create better health and a brighter future, join us!
What makes a successful member of our team? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Results Driven
- Team Player
Life at Takeda
Medicine for the world
We put the patient at the center of everything we do as we strive towards better health for people worldwide, through leading innovation in medicine.
Research & Development
By focusing R&D efforts on four therapeutic areas and other targeted investments, our aim is to thrive at the cutting edge of innovation that solves unmet medical needs, through internal R&D and in collaboration with cross-industry partners.
“It’s about putting the patient at the center of everything we do. Takeda is very rooted in our four priorities of Patient, Trust, Reputation, Business, or PTRB.”
Chief of Staff
Meet Jen, the Chief of Staff and Head of Gastroenterology (GI) Therapeutic Area Unit General Operations in Boston, Massachusetts.
Bold initiatives, continuous improvement, and creativity are at the heart of how we bring scientific breakthroughs from the lab to patients.
Since 1781, the values of Takeda-ism (Integrity, Fairness, Honesty, and Perseverance) have guided everything we do—from decision-making to interacting with patients.
Our people-first mission extends beyond patients to include their families, communities, and our own Takeda family.
Through trust and respect, you will have genuine support from leaders, managers, and colleagues to do your best work.
A strong, borderless team, we strive together towards our priorities and inspiring mission.
Recognized for our culture and way of working, we’re one of only 13 companies to receive Top Global Employer® status for 2020.
Research Associate Scientist, GI Motility In Vivo PharmacologyApply Now
Are you looking for a patient-focused, innovation-driven company that will inspire you and empower you to shine? Join us as a Research Associate Scientist, GI Motility in vivo pharmacology in our San Diego, California office.
At Takeda, we are transforming the pharmaceutical industry through our R&D-driven market leadership and being a values-led company. To do this, we empower our people to realize their potential through life-changing work. Certified as a Global Top Employer, we offer stimulating careers, encourage innovation, and strive for excellence in everything we do. We foster an inclusive, collaborative workplace, in which our global teams are united by an unwavering commitment to deliver Better Health and a Brighter Future to people around the world.
Here, you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission.
- Apply advanced in vivo pharmacology technical skills and execute in vivo pharmacology studies in Gastrointestinal (GI) Motility Disorders in the GI Drug Discovery Unit to advance programs while meeting high standards of operational and pharmaceutical excellence
- Design and implementation of effective in vivo screening paradigms for the evaluation of drug leads for modalities including small molecules, antibodies/peptides, and cell/gene therapy
- Provide technical insight into the direction for in vivo studies, including the development and application of new models
- Communicate and collaborate across groups to ensure effective and efficient prosecution of programs
- Design and implement in vivo studies aimed at evaluating assets from early discovery through to support of clinical stage programs in a team environment
- Plan, design, and coordinate internal studies and studies in partnership with external CRO and academic partners
- Receive high level direction from program leaders to ensure in vivo functional support and timely progress of drug discovery programs
- Hands on study execution in particular as it relates to studies assessing cell therapy modalities that require advanced technical skillsets/surgical techniques
- Ensure compliance with good laboratory practices and other regulatory guidelines
- Prepare Research Reports for project advancement and IND/NDA submission
- Contribute to the design experimental strategies to meet research goals in collaboration with discovery project teams
- Present data to senior leadership, scientific collaborators and at relevant scientific conferences
- Participate in project teams, working groups, collaborator meetings, or other teams as a technical representative of the group
DIMENSIONS & ASPECTS:
- Technical expert in design, execution, and interpretation of in vivo pharmacology studies assessing potential drug candidates for GI motility disorders
- Proficiency in small animal surgery and complex surgical models in rodents
- Knowledge and experience of enteric nervous system (ENS) biology and application to animal studies
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in conducting studies assessing function of the GI tract in rodents
- Expertise in GI physiology and pharmacology
- Practical knowledge and experience in transgenic animal generation and breeding
- Provides technical leadership for research project implementation and coordination
- May have experience supervising or mentoring junior laboratory staff
- Excellent communication and multitasking skills and ability to work effectively in a team setting
- Ability to convey ideas and vision to influence at all levels of the organization
Decision-making and Autonomy
- Receives high level guidance on projects and acts to define approach for achieving objectives
- Independently designs experiments, manages workload for self and research group, assigns duties to laboratory personnel, analyses and interprets data
- Ability to independently identify and trouble-shoot problems, change experimental design if necessary
- Exercised independent judgement on methods, coordinating efforts, and evaluating criteria for obtaining results
- Engages with external collaborators and CROs to provide technical expertise and may coordinate externally run studies
- Works cross-functionally ensure alignment and support of projects and initiatives, collaboration to execute complex in vivo studies
- Acts as technical representative project teams including presentation / reporting of data in team meetings
- Ability to identify and implement novel approaches and develop new methodologies to impact the business
- Demonstrated independent thought and scientific creativity
EDUCATION, BEHAVIORAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- MS Cell and Molecular Biology, Neuroscience or related field with 5+ years experience, or
- BS with 8+ years experience
- Relevant travel
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Discover more at takedajobs.com
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.
LocationsSan Diego, CA
Time TypeFull time
Job ID R0029134