Sr. Scientist - ENS Biology
San Diego, California
Takeda fosters a collaborative and stimulating work environment filled with opportunity and the chance to make a difference in people's lives. It is a workplace driven by integrity, one of Takeda’s long-held values that extends to both the patients we serve and our employees who develop and deliver medicines. Across our company, Takeda employees bring together diverse strengths that together create a stronger whole.
As one of the world’s leading biopharmaceutical companies, Takeda is committed to bringing Better Health and a Brighter future to people worldwide. We aspire to bring our leadership in translating science into life-changing medicines to the next level, in our core focus areas; oncology, gastroenterology, neuroscience, rare diseases, plasma-derived therapies, and vaccines.
Takeda California generates highly disease-specific and patient-tailored transformative new medicines aligned with Takeda’s global market strategies through research in Gastrointestinal (GI), Neuroscience and Immunology. Takeda California’s team of experienced scientists and clinicians deliver on the needs of patients by blending its internal capabilities, global Takeda resources, and expertise and technology from best-in-class external partners. Takeda California has opened a new 165,000 square-foot building which is an external innovation and collaboration hub for San Diego.
We are a passionate team doing important work that impacts patients’ lives. If you are driven to create better health and a brighter future, join us!
What makes a successful member of our team? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Results Driven
- Team Player
Life at Takeda
Medicine for the world
We put the patient at the center of everything we do as we strive towards better health for people worldwide, through leading innovation in medicine.
Research & Development
By focusing R&D efforts on four therapeutic areas and other targeted investments, our aim is to thrive at the cutting edge of innovation that solves unmet medical needs, through internal R&D and in collaboration with cross-industry partners.
“It’s about putting the patient at the center of everything we do. Takeda is very rooted in our four priorities of Patient, Trust, Reputation, Business, or PTRB.”
Chief of Staff
Meet Jen, the Chief of Staff and Head of Gastroenterology (GI) Therapeutic Area Unit General Operations in Boston, Massachusetts.
Bold initiatives, continuous improvement, and creativity are at the heart of how we bring scientific breakthroughs from the lab to patients.
Since 1781, the values of Takeda-ism (Integrity, Fairness, Honesty, and Perseverance) have guided everything we do—from decision-making to interacting with patients.
Our people-first mission extends beyond patients to include their families, communities, and our own Takeda family.
Through trust and respect, you will have genuine support from leaders, managers, and colleagues to do your best work.
A strong, borderless team, we strive together towards our priorities and inspiring mission.
Recognized for our culture and way of working, we’re one of only 13 companies to receive Top Global Employer® status for 2018.
Sr. Scientist - ENS BiologyApply Now
Are you looking for a patient-focused, innovation-driven company that will inspire you and empower you to shine? Join us as a Sr. Scientist - ENS Biology at our recently dedicated San Diego Research Site.
At Takeda, we are transforming the pharmaceutical industry through our R&D-driven market leadership and being a values-led company. To do this, we empower our people to realize their potential through life-changing work. Certified as a Global Top Employer, we offer stimulating careers, encourage innovation, and strive for excellence in everything we do. We foster an inclusive, collaborative workplace, in which our global teams are united by an unwavering commitment to deliver Better Health and a Brighter Future to people around the world.
Here, you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission. As a Sr. Scientist - ENS Biology, you will be empowered to serve on project teams for discovery to development programs.
- Independently designs, develops and executes research assignments contributing to multiple projects, acting as senior scientific consultant or as manager of a matrix project team
- Lead the design, execution, and interpretation of data relating to studies assessing the function of the enteric nervous system (ENS) in support of drug discovery programs and research efforts.
- Apply expertise in ENS biology on discovery project teams, may lead discovery programs, and will oversee junior laboratory staff.
- Drive collaboration with external partners, including industry, CRO, and academic to run functional GI studies and answer key research questions around ENS biology
- Designs and performs ex vivo GI motility studies for the testing of novel therapeutics
- Works independently to develop and optimize methodologies for ex vivo GI motility studies aligned with strategic goals
- Leads a lab-based team of technicians to perform experiments assessing function of the ENS
- Collects, analyzes, interprets and presents data and participates in decision-making in project teams
- Identifies novel drug targets and leads efforts to design and complete studies for recommendation of pursuing a target for drug discovery
- Serves as discovery project team leader and/or team member
- Interacts with external academic and industry partners; lead external collaborations/alliances
- Works cross-functionally with internal teams and external partners to achieve project goals
Technical/Functional (Line) Expertise
- Track record of high impact publication in the field of GI motility and physiology
- Significant expertise in functional ex vivo GI motility methods including organ bath pharmacology, spatiotemporal mapping, and motility assays
- Experience with other functional GI assays such as Ussing chamber, in situ Ca2+ imaging, and electrical nerve recordings
- Ability to develop new methodologies within expertise in order to meet project objectives
- Acts as the recognized scientific expert in ex vivo GI pharmacology and functional motility studies
- Background in in vivo rodent work and in vitro cell culture also a plus
- Demonstrates effective project management skills
- Develops and oversees scientific projects and will manage the work of others directly or in a matrixed structure
- Demonstrated leadership / management experience in lab-based and/or other scientific-based settings.
- Mentorship, talent development, and teaching experience also favorably considered.
Decision-making and Autonomy
- Independently manages workload and expectations
- Scientifically independent and stays abreast of current literature in field
- Demonstrated examples of decision-making that directs project goals and outcomes
- Collaborates with others, and acts as scientific resource for ex vivo functional GI motility studies
- Highly engaged with the external environment, academic field, and technological landscape
- Attends relevant international / national scientific conferences in the field of Gastroenterology and ENS biology
- Receives high level instructions from departmental managers, interpedently determines methods
- Independently identify opportunities for incorporating novel methods and technology, establishing capabilities, and optimizing
- Manages direct reports and delegates effectively
EDUCATION, BEHAVIORAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- PhD degree in a scientific discipline with 5+ years’ experience, or
- MS with 10+ years’ experience, or
- BS with 12+ years’ experience
- WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Learn more at takedajobs.com.
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.
San Diego, CA
Job ID R0015053