What makes a successful member of our team? Check out the top traits we are looking for and see if you have the right mix
Engage Others Motivates and influences others to gain support for ideas, strategies and actions in service to providing superior pharmaceutical products to patients; provides appropriate background so that messages are meaningful with audiences.
Collaboration Establishes productive relationships and partners with others across the organization to ensure common understanding of objectives and achieve shared goals.
Drive for Results Holds self and others accountable for delivering on commitments that align with our short- and long-term goals, never forgetting the end result is to help patients through innovation in medicine.
Strategic Approach Makes sound decisions that are consistent with our mission, values and organizational objectives.
Lead Change Proactively evaluates, promotes, and initiates change that creates value for patients, the organization, and our shareholders.
Self Awareness Seeks feedback from others, modifies self-perceptions and actions based on this feedback, and actively develops skills and behaviors to enhance contribution.
Develop Capabilities Seeks opportunities to develop oneself and others so that we can continue to achieve sustained growth.
Takeda builds strong, borderless and empowered teams through fairness and promoting shared goals. By working together, we optimize energy and can lead the change for a better world.
Takeda implements bold initiatives on a daily basis by striving for continuous improvement and encouraging enthusiasm and creativity. This value speaks to attracting the best minds in the industry that are committed to delivering novel therapies to patients worldwide.
Takeda respects and includes a broad range of people and ideas in its daily operations. Our organization encourages each individual to act with empathy and to apply their unique skills to realize the company’s true potential.
Takeda's drive comes from perseverance, urgency and a strong desire to contribute to patients. We put this passion to work in everything we do and demonstrate courage to fight for ideas and objectives to raise the quality of our solutions, create stronger ties with our stakeholders, and deliver results.
Takeda works to meet its responsibilities to stakeholders on a daily basis. We provide adequate support and challenge to ensure we deliver high-quality solutions that help more people around the world.
Takeda appropriately shares information and promotes honest, sincere dialogue with stakeholders to build trust. This trust enables us to strengthen our relationships with employees and external communities.
Medicine for the World
Inspired by Patients
Corporate Citizenship Activities
News and Events
Takeda's new research facility in San Diego, CA, to open Jan. 2019. "One of the really key features of this building is our intention to make it an external innovation and collaboration hub for San Diego,” said David Weitz, head of the unit. “Our cafeteria and all-employees space is actually outside security purposely, so that we can welcome the community in for events.” - San Diego Union Tribune, June 26, 2017.
One Vision: We aspire to cure cancer.
Takeda Pharmaceuticals is on the cutting edge of innovation, for more information on our latest breakthroughs and discoveries visit our newsroom today!
Recently Takeda California held their annual Tour de Takeda, donating $5 for every mile biked, ran or walked. By covering 3,362 miles, this year’s donation was $16,810! Funds were given to four non-profit organizations: Alzheimer’s Association of San Diego, Torrey Pines High School Foundation Science Department, Rancho YMCA’s Inclusion Program and Elementary Institute of Science.
Takeda is a global, innovation-driven pharmaceutical leader with 30,000 professionals working together across more than 70 countries. We have maintained an unwavering dedication to put patients first for more than 235 years while we live our values of Takeda-ism—Integrity, Fairness, Honesty, and Perseverance. We are united by our mission to strive towards Better Health and a Brighter Future for people worldwide through leading innovation in medicine.
We focus our research and development on the core therapeutic areas of oncology, gastroenterology, neuroscience, and on providing vaccines that address the most important infectious diseases. Novel products, especially in oncology and gastroenterology, as well as our presence in emerging markets, fuel our growth.
Takeda California generates highly disease-specific and patient-tailored transformative new medicines aligned with Takeda’s global market strategies through research in Gastrointestinal (GI), Neuroscience and Immunology. Takeda California’s team of experienced scientists and clinicians deliver on the needs of patients by blending its internal capabilities, global Takeda resources, and expertise and technology from best-in-class external partners. In early 2019, Takeda California will open a new 165,000 square-foot building with the intent to make it an external innovation and collaboration hub for San Diego.
Are you looking for a patient-focused company that will inspire you and support your career? If so, be empowered to take charge of your future at Takeda. Join us as a Director, Head of Biology, CNS Researchin our San Diegooffice.
The Head of Biology for CNS Research acts as the strategic leader for research activities for the Takeda California CNS Drug Discovery Unit and is responsible for all biological activities from target identification through to preclinical translational support for clinical assets up to early proof of concept in patients. The Takeda California team employs enterprise thinking and creative partnerships with internal and external organizations to translate human patient data sets and proprietary bacTRAP data into innovative drug discovery projects that are aimed at transforming the quality of life of patients suffering from neurodevelopment disorders such as schizophrenia and autism.
- Guided by the Global CNS Drug Discovery Unit and Therapeutic Area Unit strategy, sets the local strategy for the Takeda California CNS Drug Discovery Unit group
- Leads the selection of new drug targets and executes efficient preclinical lead optimization and translational biology validation, incorporating target engagement and/or functional biomarkers of drug action
- Expands portfolio to incorporate large molecule therapeutics and collaborates with the Takeda functions and external partners to enable their progression to clinical PoM.
- Develops an innovation portfolio with Takeda partners, CROs and academic collaborators that can test and deliver the next generation of CNS drug discovery concepts
- Seeks, evaluates and proposes preclinical/clinical in-licensing candidates.
- Identifies, engages, and ensures the success of research partnerships across Takeda’s global network and the external scientific community.
- Keeps up-to-date with the latest scientific advancements (e.g. competitive situation, new technologies and partnerships) and is well informed about current regulatory (FDA etc.) requirements and trends.
- Sets departmental scientific and business goals and manages the financial budget and other administrative functions
- Has significant accountability for the performance and results of functional groups or strategic business, scientific or support function
- Leads, coaches, and provides direct scientific leadership to group members
- Works with the leadership team, Translational Research and Early Clinical and Therapeutic Area Unit to allocate appropriate resources to ensure timely achievement of pipeline and technology goals
- Develops talent within the department, providing performance feedback and training opportunities.
- Implements initiatives and best practices to ensure an open and free scientific culture that is rich in diversity.
- Collaborates with senior management to manage company operations, set company-wide policies and ensure compliance
EDUCATION, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- PhD in Life Sciences or equivalent with at least 10 years of relevant experience
- Well informed in all areas of drug discovery from target identification through preclinical research, including biomarker, and PK/PD/Tox assays.
- Track record of accomplishment in research as evidenced by quality and quantity of publications and/or inventions and/or products and clinical candidates.
- Track record of leading complex cross-functional collaborations
- Demonstrated ability to organize the activities of a large team of scientists working in highly diverse scientific areas, including managing relationships with academic collaborators and CROs.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including preparation and organization of data for efficient presentation to any internal or external senior audience or partner.
- Manual dexterity required to operate office equipment (i.e. computers, phones, etc.).
- Ability to sit for long periods of time
- Carrying, handling and reaching for 25 lb. objects.
- Willingness to travel to various meetings or client sites, including overnight trips.
- Some international travel will be required, likely several times yearly.
- Requires approximately 15% or more travel.
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Takeda is an EEO employer of minorities, women, disabled, protected veterans, and considers qualified applicants with criminal histories in accordance with applicable laws. For more information, visit http://www.takeda.us/careers/EEO_Policy_Statement.aspx