What makes a successful member of our team? Check out the top traits we are looking for and see if you have the right mix
Engage Others Motivates and influences others to gain support for ideas, strategies and actions in service to providing superior pharmaceutical products to patients; provides appropriate background so that messages are meaningful with audiences.
Collaboration Establishes productive relationships and partners with others across the organization to ensure common understanding of objectives and achieve shared goals.
Drive for Results Holds self and others accountable for delivering on commitments that align with our short- and long-term goals, never forgetting the end result is to help patients through innovation in medicine.
Strategic Approach Makes sound decisions that are consistent with our mission, values and organizational objectives.
Lead Change Proactively evaluates, promotes, and initiates change that creates value for patients, the organization, and our shareholders.
Self Awareness Seeks feedback from others, modifies self-perceptions and actions based on this feedback, and actively develops skills and behaviors to enhance contribution.
Develop Capabilities Seeks opportunities to develop oneself and others so that we can continue to achieve sustained growth.
Takeda builds strong, borderless and empowered teams through fairness and promoting shared goals. By working together, we optimize energy and can lead the change for a better world.
Takeda implements bold initiatives on a daily basis by striving for continuous improvement and encouraging enthusiasm and creativity. This value speaks to attracting the best minds in the industry that are committed to delivering novel therapies to patients worldwide.
Takeda respects and includes a broad range of people and ideas in its daily operations. Our organization encourages each individual to act with empathy and to apply their unique skills to realize the company’s true potential.
Takeda's drive comes from perseverance, urgency and a strong desire to contribute to patients. We put this passion to work in everything we do and demonstrate courage to fight for ideas and objectives to raise the quality of our solutions, create stronger ties with our stakeholders, and deliver results.
Takeda works to meet its responsibilities to stakeholders on a daily basis. We provide adequate support and challenge to ensure we deliver high-quality solutions that help more people around the world.
Takeda appropriately shares information and promotes honest, sincere dialogue with stakeholders to build trust. This trust enables us to strengthen our relationships with employees and external communities.
Medicine for the World
Inspired by Patients
Corporate Citizenship Activities
News and Events
Takeda's new research facility in San Diego, CA, to open Jan. 2019. "One of the really key features of this building is our intention to make it an external innovation and collaboration hub for San Diego,” said David Weitz, head of the unit. “Our cafeteria and all-employees space is actually outside security purposely, so that we can welcome the community in for events.” - San Diego Union Tribune, June 26, 2017.
One Vision: We aspire to cure cancer.
Takeda Pharmaceuticals is on the cutting edge of innovation, for more information on our latest breakthroughs and discoveries visit our newsroom today!
Recently Takeda California held their annual Tour de Takeda, donating $5 for every mile biked, ran or walked. By covering 3,362 miles, this year’s donation was $16,810! Funds were given to four non-profit organizations: Alzheimer’s Association of San Diego, Torrey Pines High School Foundation Science Department, Rancho YMCA’s Inclusion Program and Elementary Institute of Science.
Takeda is a global, innovation-driven pharmaceutical leader with 30,000 professionals working together across more than 70 countries. We have maintained an unwavering dedication to put patients first for more than 235 years while we live our values of Takeda-ism—Integrity, Fairness, Honesty, and Perseverance. We are united by our mission to strive towards Better Health and a Brighter Future for people worldwide through leading innovation in medicine.
We focus our research and development on the core therapeutic areas of oncology, gastroenterology, neuroscience, and on providing vaccines that address the most important infectious diseases. Novel products, especially in oncology and gastroenterology, as well as our presence in emerging markets, fuel our growth.
Takeda California generates highly disease-specific and patient-tailored transformative new medicines aligned with Takeda’s global market strategies through research in Gastrointestinal (GI), Neuroscience and Immunology. Takeda California’s team of experienced scientists and clinicians deliver on the needs of patients by blending its internal capabilities, global Takeda resources, and expertise and technology from best-in-class external partners. In early 2019, Takeda California will open a new 165,000 square-foot building with the intent to make it an external innovation and collaboration hub for San Diego.
Are you looking for a patient-focused company that will inspire you and support your career? If so, be empowered to take charge of your future at Takeda. Join us as a Senior Scientist, Protein Chemistry working together with the Structural Biology & Biophysics team in our San Diego, CA Office.
Here, everyone matters and you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission. As Senior Scientist, Protein Chemistry working on the Structural Biology & Biophysics team, you will be empowered to lead protein production strategies and support drug discovery programs.
The Senior Scientist, Protein Chemistry is responsible for designing the protein production strategy, purifying, characterizing and delivering the recombinant soluble and membrane proteins for crystallography, biophysics studies and enzymatic assays to support internal or external drug discovery programs. This individual will work collaboratively and effectively with other molecular biologists, protein chemists, crystallographers and biophysicists in determining methodologies and strategies that best support Takeda’s internal and external drug discovery programs. This incumbent is responsible for maintaining an awareness of current up-to-date literature and all relevant technological developments is required.
- Determine the expression and purification strategies for challenging soluble and membrane (including GPCR) recombinant proteins and design the expression constructs
- Responsible for the purification, characterization, and delivery of assigned recombinant proteins for crystallography, biophysics studies and enzymatic assays in a timely manner.
- Optimizes the constructs, expression and purification process and enhance the recovery yield and the quality of delivery
- Works with the biophysics and enzymology teams to develop and implement biochemical and biophysical assays to measure the stability and functionality of purified membrane and soluble proteins
- Identifies and experimentally customizes properties of purified proteins when necessary
- Routinely communicates with crystallographers, biophysicists and molecular biologists to optimize work flow and increase productivity
- Manages multiple protein purifications and deliveries concurrently when required
- Proactively performs literature research on assigned projects with emphasis in protein expression, purification, activity and any known interacting small molecules
- Proactively seeks solutions when encountering experimental obstacles
- Develops and contributes to company’s intellectual property domain by ways of patents and/or publications
- Maintains prompt data entries into internal database
- May mentor Research Associates.
- Represent own research to senior leadership. Professionally represents the organization in collaborations, partnership discussions, and external conferences.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Ph.D. in Biochemistry or related discipline with at least 4 years biochemistry experience in a research and/or development environment with thesis, publication(s), OR MS in life science with minimum 14 years of relevant experience and distinguished publication record, OR BS in life science with minimum16 years of relevant experience and distinguished publication record
- High level of professional expertise in modern laboratory and analytical methods.
- Has demonstrated independent thought/creativity in science and technical proficiency.
- Strong method development skills and extensive hands-on experience in soluble and membrane protein expression, purification, and characterization
- Proven track record in timely delivery of high quality proteins for wide variety of drug discovery projects, which have been used successfully for crystallization, biophysical and enzymatic assays and compound screen.
- Proven track record of knowledge and expertise in membrane protein chemistry demonstrated through principal authorship in peer-reviewed publication(s) will b a plus
- High level of professional expertise in modern laboratory and analytical methods
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Highly motivated and flexible with a positive can-do attitude
- Ability to work in fast-paced, collaborative, team-oriented environment
- Ability to provide novel creative solutions to challenging problems
- Desire to learn and tackle new challenges and initiatives
- Primary authorship in peer-reviewed publication(s) on the subject of biochemistry is a plus.
- Working in cold room (4°C)
- Able to lift or move up to 10 pounds on a regular basis in the course of daily work.
- Exposure to hazardous/toxic/dangerous chemicals
- Less than or equal to 5% travel, consisting of one to two relevant scientific meetings and/or trips to meet with collaborators and CROs
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Takeda is an EEO employer of minorities, women, disabled, protected veterans, and considers qualified applicants with criminal histories in accordance with applicable laws. For more information, visit http://www.takeda.us/careers/EEO_Policy_Statement.aspx
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.