Senior Scientist, Molecular Genetics Early Target Discovery - San Diego, CA
San Diego, California
Takeda fosters a collaborative and stimulating work environment filled with opportunity and the chance to make a difference in people's lives. It is a workplace driven by integrity, one of Takeda’s long-held values that extends to both the patients we serve and our employees who develop and deliver medicines. Across our company, Takeda employees bring together diverse strengths that together create a stronger whole.
As one of the world’s leading biopharmaceutical companies, Takeda is committed to bringing Better Health and a Brighter future to people worldwide. We aspire to bring our leadership in translating science into life-changing medicines to the next level, in our core focus areas; oncology, gastroenterology, neuroscience, rare diseases, plasma-derived therapies, and vaccines.
Takeda California generates highly disease-specific and patient-tailored transformative new medicines aligned with Takeda’s global market strategies through research in Gastrointestinal (GI), Neuroscience and Immunology. Takeda California’s team of experienced scientists and clinicians deliver on the needs of patients by blending its internal capabilities, global Takeda resources, and expertise and technology from best-in-class external partners. Takeda California has opened a new 165,000 square-foot building which is an external innovation and collaboration hub for San Diego.
We are a passionate team doing important work that impacts patients’ lives. If you are driven to create better health and a brighter future, join us!
What makes a successful member of our team? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Results Driven
- Team Player
Life at Takeda
Medicine for the world
We put the patient at the center of everything we do as we strive towards better health for people worldwide, through leading innovation in medicine.
Research & Development
By focusing R&D efforts on four therapeutic areas and other targeted investments, our aim is to thrive at the cutting edge of innovation that solves unmet medical needs, through internal R&D and in collaboration with cross-industry partners.
“It’s about putting the patient at the center of everything we do. Takeda is very rooted in our four priorities of Patient, Trust, Reputation, Business, or PTRB.”
Chief of Staff
Meet Jen, the Chief of Staff and Head of Gastroenterology (GI) Therapeutic Area Unit General Operations in Boston, Massachusetts.
Bold initiatives, continuous improvement, and creativity are at the heart of how we bring scientific breakthroughs from the lab to patients.
Since 1781, the values of Takeda-ism (Integrity, Fairness, Honesty, and Perseverance) have guided everything we do—from decision-making to interacting with patients.
Our people-first mission extends beyond patients to include their families, communities, and our own Takeda family.
Through trust and respect, you will have genuine support from leaders, managers, and colleagues to do your best work.
A strong, borderless team, we strive together towards our priorities and inspiring mission.
Recognized for our culture and way of working, we’re one of only 13 companies to receive Top Global Employer® status for 2018.
Senior Scientist, Molecular Genetics Early Target Discovery - San Diego, CAApply Now
Are you looking for a patient-focused company that will inspire you and support your career? If so, be empowered to take charge of your future at Takeda. Join us as a Sr Scientist, Molecular Genetics in Early Target Discovery (ETD) at our San Diego office.
Here, everyone matters and you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission. As a Sr Scientist working on the ETD team, you will be empowered to lead target discovery and validation efforts that utilize patient genetics in Neurological and/or Autoimmune disorders or Rare diseases aligned with Takeda's related Drug Discovery Units (DDUs).
The Sr Scientist of Early Target Discovery, based in San Diego, is responsible for leadership of target identification and validation (TIDVAL) efforts in alignment with Takeda DDU priorities and employ cutting edge technologies in the areas of molecular genetics and functional genomics and lead to the initiation of formal drug discovery campaigns by Takeda Research. The Sr Scientist coordinates the ETD’s TIDVAL efforts leveraging patient genetics in Neurological and/or Autoimmune disorders or Rare diseases with Takeda’s related DDU. The Sr Scientist insures that the group is employing the most current, effective and applicable technologies and design methodologies in functional genomics and patient genetics studies, whether internally or externally, to initiate Takeda’s drug discovery programs.
- Coordinates the ETD’s TIDVAL efforts in Neurological and/or Autoimmune disorders or Rare diseases with Takeda’s related DDU.
- Serves as project leader to identify high quality targets in Neurological and/or Autoimmune disorders or Rare diseases leading to initiation of drug discovery programs in alignment with Takeda DDU priorities.
- Proactively builds external relationships and collaborations that supplement the group’s internal capabilities so that the group is best capable to advance and prioritize Takeda’s drug discovery programs through functional genomics and human genetics follow up techniques for TIDVAL, whether internally or externally.
- Leads the identification, evaluation and utilization of new and emerging technologies for rapid TIDVAL based on patient genetics and disease biomarker discovery.
- Works effectively to partner with Takeda research leaders in other functional areas to champion patient genetics for TIDVAL and prioritization of drug discovery projects.
- Supports an overall group culture that is agile, proactive, collaborative, innovative, and external facing
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Ph.D. in human genetics or functional/molecular genomics with publication(s), and a combined 5+ years of postdoctoral and biotech/pharma drug discovery experience. Group leadership experience is a plus.
- MS in genetics and minimum 11+ years of biotech/pharma experience in human genetics. Group leadership experience is a plus.
- Proven track record of applying human genetics and/or functional genomics TIDVAL in drug discovery in one of the therapeutic areas is a plus.
- Proven track record of scientific contributions in human genetics and functional genomics as evidenced by quality and quantity of publications and presentations.
- Experience in GWAS, WES, extreme phenotypes genetics, and/or protective allele discovery is required.
- Professionally represents the group and company more broadly in collaborations, partnership discussions, and external relationships and conferences with the ability to convey ideas in an experimentally detailed yet scientifically concise and effective manner.
- Positive can-do attitude with strong collaboration skills and ability to team effectively with drug discovery scientists.
- Highly motivated and flexible with ability to work in fast-paced environment. Ability to provide novel creative solutions to challenging problems. Desire to learn and tackle new challenges and initiatives.
- Possesses a high degree of scientific discretion/intuition and integrity
- May travel to some domestic conferences or client sites, including overnight trips. Some international travel may be required
- Requires approximately 10% travel
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Program
Empowering Our People to Shine
Learn more at takedajobs.com.
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.
San Diego, CA
Job ID R0000689