What makes a successful member of our team? Check out the top traits we are looking for and see if you have the right mix.
Engage Others Motivates and influences others to gain support for ideas, strategies and actions in service to providing superior pharmaceutical products to patients; provides appropriate background so that messages are meaningful with audiences.
Collaboration Establishes productive relationships and partners with others across the organization to ensure common understanding of objectives and achieve shared goals.
Drive for Results Holds self and others accountable for delivering on commitments that align with our short- and long-term goals, never forgetting the end result is to help patients through innovation in medicine.
Strategic Approach Makes sound decisions that are consistent with our mission, values and organizational objectives.
Lead Change Proactively evaluates, promotes, and initiates change that creates value for patients, the organization, and our shareholders.
Self Awareness Seeks feedback from others, modifies self-perceptions and actions based on this feedback, and actively develops skills and behaviors to enhance contribution.
Develop Capabilities Seeks opportunities to develop oneself and others so that we can continue to achieve sustained growth.
Takeda builds strong, borderless and empowered teams through fairness and promoting shared goals. By working together, we optimize energy and can lead the change for a better world.
Takeda implements bold initiatives on a daily basis by striving for continuous improvement and encouraging enthusiasm and creativity. This value speaks to attracting the best minds in the industry that are committed to delivering novel therapies to patients worldwide.
Takeda respects and includes a broad range of people and ideas in its daily operations. Our organization encourages each individual to act with empathy and to apply their unique skills to realize the company’s true potential.
Takeda's drive comes from perseverance, urgency and a strong desire to contribute to patients. We put this passion to work in everything we do and demonstrate courage to fight for ideas and objectives to raise the quality of our solutions, create stronger ties with our stakeholders, and deliver results.
Takeda works to meet its responsibilities to stakeholders on a daily basis. We provide adequate support and challenge to ensure we deliver high-quality solutions that help more people around the world.
Takeda appropriately shares information and promotes honest, sincere dialogue with stakeholders to build trust. This trust enables us to strengthen our relationships with employees and external communities.
Medicine for the World
Inspired by Patients
Corporate Citizenship Activities
News and Events
Takeda's new research facility in San Diego, CA, to open Jan. 2019. "One of the really key features of this building is our intention to make it an external innovation and collaboration hub for San Diego,” said David Weitz, head of the unit. “Our cafeteria and all-employees space is actually outside security purposely, so that we can welcome the community in for events.” - San Diego Union Tribune, June 26, 2017.
One Vision: We aspire to cure cancer.
Takeda Pharmaceuticals is on the cutting edge of innovation, for more information on our latest breakthroughs and discoveries visit our newsroom today!
Recently Takeda California held their annual Tour de Takeda, donating $5 for every mile biked, ran or walked. By covering 3,362 miles, this year’s donation was $16,810! Funds were given to four non-profit organizations: Alzheimer’s Association of San Diego, Torrey Pines High School Foundation Science Department, Rancho YMCA’s Inclusion Program and Elementary Institute of Science.
Takeda has maintained an unwavering dedication to put patients first for more than 235 years while we live our values of Takeda-ism—Integrity, Fairness, Honesty, and Perseverance. We are united by our mission to strive towards Better Health and a Brighter Future for people worldwide through leading innovation in medicine.
We focus our research and development on the core therapeutic areas of oncology, gastroenterology, neuroscience, and on providing vaccines that address the most important infectious diseases. Novel products, especially in oncology and gastroenterology, as well as our presence in emerging markets, fuel our growth.
Takeda California generates highly disease-specific and patient-tailored transformative new medicines aligned with Takeda’s global market strategies through research in Gastrointestinal (GI), Neuroscience and Immunology. Takeda California’s team of experienced scientists and clinicians deliver on the needs of patients by blending its internal capabilities, global Takeda resources, and expertise and technology from best-in-class external partners. In early 2019, Takeda California will open a new 165,000 square-foot building with the intent to make it an external innovation and collaboration hub for San Diego.
Are you looking for a patient-focused company that will inspire you and support your career? If so, be empowered to take charge of your future at Takeda. Join us as a Senior Scientist, Computational and Statistical Genetics in our San Diego office.
Here, everyone matters and you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission. As a Senior Scientist, Computational and Statistical Genetics working on the Computational Biology team a typical day will include:
The Senior Scientist, Computational and Statistical Genetics will be part of a team focused on computational genomics and computational biology support of discovery research and translational science. The Senior Scientist will apply expertise in statistical genetics, computational biology and genomics to analyze biobank, population scale molecular profiling and phenotype data for the identification and characterization of genes, networks and pathways involved in normal and perturbed physiology in support of reverse and forward translation across multiple therapeutic areas of interest of Takeda. This information will be used to understand the molecular basis of disease pathology and the mechanism of action of drugs, and ultimately be used for selection and progression of drug targets and assets.
- Applies statistical genetics analyses to large scale internal and external genetics and genomics data to support or falsify target hypotheses and support patient and indication selection and biomarker development.
- Performs computational analysis of WES, WGS, RNA-seq, other OMICS and real-world data from internal, collaboration and public sources. Applies unsupervised and supervised machine learning and other advanced algorithms to extract novel biologically meaningful information.
- Leads Takeda Computational Biology engagement in external consortia, collaborates with internal and external stakeholders, accountable for success of the platforms; use her/his scientific and technical expertise to lead implementation of pipelines and algorithms
- Integrates genomics, genetics, epigenetics, proteomics and literature data to strengthen understanding of diseases and treatment perturbations.
- Provides analysis and interpretation of data, specifically for the selection of new drug targets and indications
- Writes study reports and presents data effectively in all settings and with participants of all levels of the organization.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- PhD or equivalent in statistical genetics, computational biology or similar area with Post Doc and at least 5 years of working experience after post-doc
- Has a solid background in basic
- cellular and molecular biology with an understanding of a range of disease areas including rare diseases, neurobiology, gastroenterology, immunology and oncology. Exposure to a wide variety of therapeutic areas such as neuroscience, gastroenterology and oncology is a plus.
- Fluent in the use of R, Bioconductor, Python, and/or other languages commonly used for statistical genetics and computational genomics analyses.
- Must be expert in developing novel algorithms and pipelines; expertise in large data handling, HPC/cloud environment and bioinformatics tools and databases
- Must be expert in utilizing of various types of human genetic datasets (e.g. GWAS, CNVs, Rare variants, etc.) and has hands on experience in using public human genetics and epigenetics databases.
- Must be expert in statistical genetics with solid understanding in frequentist or Bayesian inference, Mendelian randomization and polygenetic risk score calculation. Familiarity with genetics epidemiology is a plus.
- Must be expert in sequencing data analysis such as RNAseq, DNAseq, scRNA-seq, WES, etc.
- Must have a proven track record in the analysis of large OMICS data
- Is able to develop creative methods for integration of human genetic, epigenetic, gene and protein expression data
- Must be expert and able to apply advanced machine learning methods such as Hidden Markov Chain, Elastic net, neural nets and deep learning algorithms.
- Must be able to apply methods of unsupervised machine learning algorithms such as WGCNA, K-means, Hierarchical, DBSCAN, and/or Spectral clustering, of dimensionality reduction algorithms such as Non-negative Matrix Factorization (NMF), Principal Component Analysis (PCA), Independent Component Analysis (ICA), Manifold Learning and similar techniques.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for his or her own performance and accepts full ownership of issues, problems, and opportunities, regardless of the source.
- Comfort with initiating analyses without always having a clear direction planned in advance
- Demonstrated creativity and innovation, including ability for divergent thinking and the propensity to question to traditional methods, processes, and products, as well as build on others' ideas.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal sensitivity, and negotiating skills
- Carrying, handling and reaching for objects up to 25 lbs.
- Able to work in a lab environment
- Up to 30% travel, both domestic and internationally may be required.
Empowering Our People to Shine
Takeda is an EEO employer of minorities, women, disabled, protected veterans, and considers qualified applicants with criminal histories in accordance with applicable laws. For more information, visit
Learn more at takedajobs.com.
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.
San Diego, CA
Job ID R0006519
Explore the Area
Check out where you could be
working if you apply.