Recruitment Fraud Alert
Takeda has received reports that there are instances of identity thieves posing as Takeda employees in an attempt to steal personal information from job seekers. In these cases, identity thieves visit job-related websites and invite candidates to online chats. During the chat, they press job seekers to provide bank account information and personal identification numbers. If you receive unexpected offers of employment from people claiming to work for Takeda, we suggest you do not correspond with them, do not click any hyperlinks and do not open any attachments.
At Takeda, we will never ask for personal financial information during any step of the interview nor do we charge job seekers fees as part of the recruitment process. Takeda’s recruiting correspondence will be sent by a recruiting representative with an @takeda.com email address – not @gmail.com, @yahoo.com, @hotmail.com or any other email domain service.
If you believe you have been contacted by an unauthorized person, please contact your local law enforcement agency immediately.
Scientist II - NMR
San Diego, California
At Takeda, we strive to provide transformational opportunities for every member of our team, and we empower our people to take charge of their futures. In an environment that fosters lifelong learning and a growth mindset, you’ll have the support you need to thrive — at work and beyond.
What makes a successful team member within Research at Takeda?
- Design and carry out experiments
- Manage multiple projects
- Document data
- Mentor other scientists
Where You Fit In
Our team at Takeda is tackling some of the most challenging problems in drug discovery and development. As the newest member of our Research team, you’ll conduct purposeful, meaningful work on groundbreaking modalities that may lead to breakthrough drugs.
With our deep investment in next-generation technologies, you’ll have the resources and support to do your best work. As a part of our team, you’ll connect with brilliant minds inside and outside of Takeda. We are committed to collaborating with academia and emerging biotech companies to expand our reach and impact in cell therapy, gene therapy and data sciences.
Our team’s wide-ranging expertise includes medicinal chemistry, genomics datasets, immunofluorescence, high content imaging, flow cytometry, transcriptional profiling, multi-step synthesis, multimodal genetics, pharmacokinetics and much more. Whatever area inspires you, your work will support the progression of an innovative, industry-leading discovery pipeline and make an impact that matters to patients and society.
A career in Research at Takeda will give you everything you need to succeed professionally – and make a difference to patients, people and the planet.
Scientist II - NMR
Are you looking for a patient-focused, innovation-driven company that will inspire you and empower you to shine? Join us as a Scientist II NMR at our San Diego Research Site.
At Takeda, we are transforming the pharmaceutical industry through our R&D-driven market leadership and being a values-led company. To do this, we empower our people to realize their potential through life-changing work. Certified as a Global Top Employer, we offer stimulating careers, encourage innovation, and strive for excellence in everything we do. We foster an inclusive, collaborative workplace, in which our global teams are united by an unwavering commitment to deliver Better Health and a Brighter Future to people around the world.
Here, you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission. As a Scientist in drug discovery, you will be empowered to serve on project teams.
We are looking for a collaborative, creative and talented NMR spectroscopist to join our newly created Drug Discovery Sciences (DDS) department. DDS is a multidisciplinary team aimed at exploring and building new technologies in emergent areas of drug discovery - from targeted protein degradation to small molecules targeting RNA- and delivering transformative therapies to patients.
Scientist II-NMR/Biophysics will design, develop, and implement NMR experiments to accelerate drug discovery programs in the areas of Oncology, Neurosciences, Rare and Gastrointestinal diseases. The candidate will lead hit finding and lead optimization efforts and characterize small molecule complexes with nucleic acids and proteins using NMR and other biophysical techniques (e.g. ITC, TSA).
Scientist II-NMR/Biophysics will initiate and lead external collaborators with private and academic institutions to access new technologies and develop novel approaches to accelerate Takeda’s drug discovery efforts.
- Design, develop and implement NMR experiments to support drug discovery projects for hit/lead validation and de novo hit identification strategies.
- Perform FBDD by NMR using Ligand- and/or Protein Observed methods.
- Screening fragments libraries available at Takeda and support de novo assembly of classical and/or focused fragment collections (Fragment selection, QC, mixtures design, testing and analysis).
- Binding validation and characterization by 1D and 2D homo- and hetero-nuclear NMR experiments of lead compounds against biomolecular targets.
- Proactively identify opportunities for NMR and other approaches to investigate novel drug modalities (PROTACs, small molecule targeting RNA etc.).
- Work closely with the Biophysics, Protein chemists and Structural Biologists to develop integrative approaches and address specific challenges and bottlenecks.
- Provide results in a collaborative and effective manner in cross-functional project team settings with other biophysicists, structural biologists, chemists and biologists.
- Operate and support maintenance and basic troubleshooting of NMR spectrometers.
- NMR support to Chemistry and Pharm Sci groups for small molecule structure determination/elucidation, potency determination by qNMR experiments.
- Identify and implement collaborations with partners (academic, biotech and CRO) to enhance in-house capabilities.
DIMENSIONS AND ASPECTS
Technical/Functional (Line) Expertise
- Ph.D.in Biochemistry, Biophysics, or related discipline with at least 2 years of post-doctoral biophysics experience in a research and/or development environment, or MS degree with at least 10 years of biophysics experience, or BS degree with at least 12 years of biophysics experience, and a demonstrated working knowledge of biophysics scientific principles, or equivalent.
- Strong background in NMR spectroscopy and its application in drug discovery ranging from screening of fragment libraries (FBDD) to various approaches for validation and characterization studies.
- Deep knowledge of molecular recognition principles with a focus on reversible and irreversible small -molecules binding to biomolecular targets.
- Basic knowledge and ability to express and purify recombinant un-labeled and isotopically (15N and/or 13C) labeled proteins for NMR studies, including design and characterization of protein mutants depending on the chosen approach and project goals.
- Preferred knowledge of basic principles, applicability and limitations of other biophysical methods (E.g MS, SPR, MST etc)
- Familiar with other structural biology methods like X-ray crystallography and electron microscopy.
- Preferred knowledge of drug-like properties and their optimization in early drug discovery
- Preferred knowledge and experience in Structure-based and Ligand based design
- Demonstrates fundamental understanding of the drug discovery process
- Robust track record for identifying/ developing inhibitors of protein-protein and protein-ligand interactions proved by quality and quantity of publications/presentations/inventions.
Decision-making and Autonomy
- Independently manages own workload
- Scientifically independent
- Conducts scientific presentations to internal audiences
- Receives high level instructions on all work, determines methods on new assignments, works closely with manager, may manage junior staff
EDUCATION, BEHAVIORAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- PhD degree in a scientific discipline and 2y+ experience in industry, or
- MS with 8+ years experience, or
- BS with 10+ years experience
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
This job posting excludes CO applicants.
Effective November 1, 2021, absent an approved religious or medical reason, all US office-based and lab-based Takeda employees who work fully on-site or in a hybrid model (as determined by Takeda) must be fully vaccinated to work at a Takeda site or to engage with Takeda colleagues or anyone else on behalf of Takeda. As of the same date, absent an approved religious or medical reason, US field-based employees, employees must be fully vaccinated in order to continue in their current roles. US employees who work at a Takeda manufacturing facility, and those who work at a BioLife center or BioLife lab, may be subject to different guidelines. Candidates are encouraged to speak with their recruiter to seek further information on the applicable guidelines for the Business Unit/Function for which they have applied.
Empowering Our People to Shine
Discover more at takedajobs.com
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.
Takeda is proud in its commitment to creating a diverse workforce and providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, parental status, national origin, age, disability, citizenship status, genetic information or characteristics, marital status, status as a Vietnam era veteran, special disabled veteran, or other protected veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws, and any other characteristic protected by law.
LocationsSan Diego, CA
Time TypeFull time
I feel especially lucky to be able to work with colleagues across the industry to meet a unified goal. Takeda is paving the way for how research will be conducted in the future.Daniel Scheibe Senior Manager Operations, Systems Engineering, Drug Discovery Sciences
We are operating at the cutting edge of science. It’s exciting to be part of these pioneering efforts – to explore unique targets that may lead to transformative medicines.Sami Bahmanyar Director Computational Chemistry, Drug Discovery Sciences
Our internal research capabilities and external partnerships contribute to an R&D engine that has produced exciting new molecular entities (NMEs) across our core Therapeutic Areas. Check out our pipeline and see how we’ll continue delivering a steady stream of next-generation therapies.Learn More
What We Believe In
Our values of Takeda-ism are Integrity, Fairness, Honesty and Perseverance, with Integrity as the core. These are brought to life through actions based on Patient, Trust, Reputation and Business, in that order.
Our belief in putting people first extends beyond our patients — it includes their families and communities, as well as our Takeda colleagues and their families.
We are committed to embracing our differences, value different perspectives, and foster a culture of respect, inclusiveness and empowerment.
Our embedded Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DE&I) strategy enables us to attract and retain exceptional talent, drives innovation, and helps address systemic inequalities in our communities.
Working at Takeda
Here, you will feel welcomed, respected, and valued as a vital contributor our global team.
A strong, borderless team, we strive together towards our priorities and inspiring mission.
Bold initiatives, continuous improvement, and creativity are at the heart of how we bring scientific breakthroughs from the lab to patients.
Recognized for our culture and way of working, we’re one of only 16 companies to receive Top Global Employer® status for 2021.
Our people-first mission extends beyond patients to include their families, communities, and our own Takeda family.
Through trust and respect, you will have genuine support from leaders, managers, and colleagues to do your best work.
We take action by focusing on our four priorities
- Create an exceptional people experience
- Responsibly translate science into highly innovative, life-changing medicines and vaccines
- Protect our planet
- Unleash the power of data and digital
About our location
San Diego, CaliforniaExpand Map