Scientist II - In Vitro Pharmacology Group
San Diego, California
Takeda fosters a collaborative and stimulating work environment filled with opportunity and the chance to make a difference in people's lives. It is a workplace driven by integrity, one of Takeda’s long-held values that extends to both the patients we serve and our employees who develop and deliver medicines. Across our company, Takeda employees bring together diverse strengths that together create a stronger whole.
As one of the world’s leading biopharmaceutical companies, Takeda is committed to bringing Better Health and a Brighter future to people worldwide. We aspire to bring our leadership in translating science into life-changing medicines to the next level, in our core focus areas; oncology, gastroenterology, neuroscience, rare diseases, plasma-derived therapies, and vaccines.
Takeda California generates highly disease-specific and patient-tailored transformative new medicines aligned with Takeda’s global market strategies through research in Gastrointestinal (GI), Neuroscience and Immunology. Takeda California’s team of experienced scientists and clinicians deliver on the needs of patients by blending its internal capabilities, global Takeda resources, and expertise and technology from best-in-class external partners. Takeda California has opened a new 165,000 square-foot building which is an external innovation and collaboration hub for San Diego.
We are a passionate team doing important work that impacts patients’ lives. If you are driven to create better health and a brighter future, join us!
What makes a successful member of our team? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Results Driven
- Team Player
Life at Takeda
Medicine for the world
We put the patient at the center of everything we do as we strive towards better health for people worldwide, through leading innovation in medicine.
Research & Development
By focusing R&D efforts on four therapeutic areas and other targeted investments, our aim is to thrive at the cutting edge of innovation that solves unmet medical needs, through internal R&D and in collaboration with cross-industry partners.
“It’s about putting the patient at the center of everything we do. Takeda is very rooted in our four priorities of Patient, Trust, Reputation, Business, or PTRB.”
Chief of Staff
Meet Jen, the Chief of Staff and Head of Gastroenterology (GI) Therapeutic Area Unit General Operations in Boston, Massachusetts.
Bold initiatives, continuous improvement, and creativity are at the heart of how we bring scientific breakthroughs from the lab to patients.
Since 1781, the values of Takeda-ism (Integrity, Fairness, Honesty, and Perseverance) have guided everything we do—from decision-making to interacting with patients.
Our people-first mission extends beyond patients to include their families, communities, and our own Takeda family.
Through trust and respect, you will have genuine support from leaders, managers, and colleagues to do your best work.
A strong, borderless team, we strive together towards our priorities and inspiring mission.
Recognized for our culture and way of working, we’re one of only 13 companies to receive Top Global Employer® status for 2020.
Scientist II - In Vitro Pharmacology GroupApply Now
Are you looking for a patient-focused, innovation-driven company that will inspire you and empower you to shine? Join us as a Scientist II - In Vitro Pharmacology Group at our recently dedicated San Diego Research Site.
At Takeda, we are transforming the pharmaceutical industry through our R&D-driven market leadership and being a values-led company. To do this, we empower our people to realize their potential through life-changing work. Certified as a Global Top Employer, we offer stimulating careers, encourage innovation, and strive for excellence in everything we do. We foster an inclusive, collaborative workplace, in which our global teams are united by an unwavering commitment to deliver Better Health and a Brighter Future to people around the world.
Here, you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission. As a Scientist II - In Vitro Pharmacology Group., you will be empowered to serve on project teams for discovery to development programs.
The scientist will be part of a team focused on development of in vitro assays and evaluation of assets for drug discovery programs in the therapeutic area of gastrointestinal (GI) diseases. (S)he will apply in vitro pharmacology expertise (in the field of cell and recombinant proteins) to generate key data. The successful applicant will be an energetic team player, self-directed learner with a keen interest in focused, fast-paced research.
- Supports hit identification and lead optimization for small molecule drugs discovery projects.
- Participates in designing in vitro pharmacology strategies for target-based and phenotypic projects. Working with the team, (s)he will develop, optimize, and perform in vitro assays to drive lead identification and SAR using in vitro assays (biochemical and cell based). (S)he will carry out data analysis as well as review and interpret this data for project teams.
- Plans and executes experiments characterizing target expression and cellular function in vitro using a wide variety of cell and molecular biology techniques.
- Contributes to the study of mechanisms of drug action in vitro and provides in vitro proof of concept for novel therapeutic targets
- Initiates investigation of new experimental approaches to specific problems using scientific theory and technical literature
- Identifies, plans and executes well defined scientific projects
- Uses defined practices and theoretical knowledge to perform analysis, Interprets results of complex experiments and determine appropriate action
- Utilizes relevant information, technology and resources, contributing to complex team problem resolution and objectives
- Has at least 5 years of experience working in the field of pharmaceutical industry
- Keeps an accurate, comprehensible, concise notebook in accordance with company policy
- Prepares and presents comprehensive technical or project reports and formal presentations / posters to full range of internal/external audiences
- Performs as a role model supporting Takeda culture and follows policies
- Manages relationships and projects with contract research organizations. This task will include to oversee the quality of the scientific data provided, to ensure that the project timelines are respected and to ensure that data are uploaded in a timely fashion in the Takeda internal database
- Communicates with colleagues effectively & Works with an interdisciplinary team of biologists, medicinal chemists, structural biologists and biophysicists, as well as external partners to deliver on the portfolio.
- Manages a wide variety of tasks, techniques, and projects; integrates these responsibilities to produce quality results with a high level of efficiency; may act as a scientific mentor to others
- Proactively identifies complex obstacles to progress in specific areas; recommends and implements solutions using a diverse set of resources; takes initiative to improve work processes; develops innovative scientific methodologies and approaches to enhance research efforts; regularly adds value to research projects through creative ideas
DIMENSIONS AND ASPECTS
Technical/Functional (Line) Expertise
- Demonstrates theoretical knowledge of discipline
- Keeps current with emerging trends in discipline
- Demonstrated experience with several in vitro assay formats (e.g. FRET, FACS, FP, ELISA, FLIPR, radioligand binding, OCTET, etc.), including troubleshooting
- Experience with cell culture and data analysis systems
- Demonstration of excellent computer, verbal and written communication skills
- Previous experience in multiple target classes (e.g. GPCRs, transporters, kinases, ion channel) in a drug discovery setting
- Knowledge of the overall drug discovery process and associated disciplines such as functional genomics, molecular and cellular biology, protein chemistry, biophysical techniques chemistry
Decision-making and Autonomy
- Independently manages own workload
- Scientifically independent
- Conducts scientific presentations to internal audiences
- Receives high level instructions on all work, determines methods on new assignments, works closely with manager, may manage junior staff
EDUCATION, BEHAVIORAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- PhD degree in a scientific discipline with 2+ years experience , or
- MS with 8+ years experience, or
- BS with 10+ years experience
- WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Learn more at takedajobs.com.
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.
San Diego, CA
Job ID R0015054