Scientist II - NMR
San Diego, California
Takeda fosters a collaborative and stimulating work environment filled with opportunity and the chance to make a difference in people's lives. It is a workplace driven by integrity, one of Takeda’s long-held values that extends to both the patients we serve and our employees who develop and deliver medicines. Across our company, Takeda employees bring together diverse strengths that together create a stronger whole.
As one of the world’s leading biopharmaceutical companies, Takeda is committed to bringing Better Health and a Brighter future to people worldwide. We aspire to bring our leadership in translating science into life-changing medicines to the next level, in our core focus areas; oncology, gastroenterology, neuroscience, rare diseases, plasma-derived therapies, and vaccines.
Takeda California generates highly disease-specific and patient-tailored transformative new medicines aligned with Takeda’s global market strategies through research in Gastrointestinal (GI), Neuroscience and Immunology. Takeda California’s team of experienced scientists and clinicians deliver on the needs of patients by blending its internal capabilities, global Takeda resources, and expertise and technology from best-in-class external partners. Takeda California has opened a new 165,000 square-foot building which is an external innovation and collaboration hub for San Diego.
We are a passionate team doing important work that impacts patients’ lives. If you are driven to create better health and a brighter future, join us!
What makes a successful member of our team? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Results Driven
- Team Player
Life at Takeda
Medicine for the world
We put the patient at the center of everything we do as we strive towards better health for people worldwide, through leading innovation in medicine.
Research & Development
By focusing R&D efforts on four therapeutic areas and other targeted investments, our aim is to thrive at the cutting edge of innovation that solves unmet medical needs, through internal R&D and in collaboration with cross-industry partners.
“It’s about putting the patient at the center of everything we do. Takeda is very rooted in our four priorities of Patient, Trust, Reputation, Business, or PTRB.”
Chief of Staff
Meet Jen, the Chief of Staff and Head of Gastroenterology (GI) Therapeutic Area Unit General Operations in Boston, Massachusetts.
Bold initiatives, continuous improvement, and creativity are at the heart of how we bring scientific breakthroughs from the lab to patients.
Since 1781, the values of Takeda-ism (Integrity, Fairness, Honesty, and Perseverance) have guided everything we do—from decision-making to interacting with patients.
Our people-first mission extends beyond patients to include their families, communities, and our own Takeda family.
Through trust and respect, you will have genuine support from leaders, managers, and colleagues to do your best work.
A strong, borderless team, we strive together towards our priorities and inspiring mission.
Recognized for our culture and way of working, we’re one of only 13 companies to receive Top Global Employer® status for 2020.
Scientist II - NMRApply Now
Are you looking for a patient-focused, innovation-driven company that will inspire you and empower you to shine? Join us as a Scientist II NMR at our San Diego Research Site.
At Takeda, we are transforming the pharmaceutical industry through our R&D-driven market leadership and being a values-led company. To do this, we empower our people to realize their potential through life-changing work. Certified as a Global Top Employer, we offer stimulating careers, encourage innovation, and strive for excellence in everything we do. We foster an inclusive, collaborative workplace, in which our global teams are united by an unwavering commitment to deliver Better Health and a Brighter Future to people around the world.
Here, you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission. As a Scientist in drug discovery, you will be empowered to serve on project teams.
We are looking for a collaborative, creative and talented NMR spectroscopist to join our newly created Drug Discovery Sciences (DDS) department. DDS is a multidisciplinary team aimed at exploring and building new technologies in emergent areas of drug discovery - from targeted protein degradation to small molecules targeting RNA- and delivering transformative therapies to patients.
Scientist I-NMR/Biophysics will design, develop, and implement NMR experiments to accelerate drug discovery programs in the areas of Oncology, Neurosciences, Rare and Gastrointestinal diseases. The candidate will lead hit finding and lead optimization efforts and characterize small molecule complexes with nucleic acids and proteins using NMR and other biophysical techniques (e.g. ITC, TSA).
Scientist I-NMR/Biophysics will initiate and lead external collaborators with private and academic institutions to access new technologies and develop novel approaches to accelerate Takeda’s drug discovery efforts.
- Design, develop and implement NMR experiments to support drug discovery projects for hit/lead validation and de novo hit identification strategies.
- Perform FBDD by NMR using Ligand- and/or Protein Observed methods.
- Screening fragments libraries available at Takeda and support de novo assembly of classical and/or focused fragment collections (Fragment selection, QC, mixtures design, testing and analysis).
- Binding validation and characterization by 1D and 2D homo- and hetero-nuclear NMR experiments of lead compounds against biomolecular targets.
- Proactively identify opportunities for NMR and other approaches to investigate novel drug modalities (PROTACs, small molecule targeting RNA etc.).
- Work closely with the Biophysics, Protein chemists and Structural Biologists to develop integrative approaches and address specific challenges and bottlenecks.
- Provide results in a collaborative and effective manner in cross-functional project team settings with other biophysicists, structural biologists, chemists and biologists.
- Operate and support maintenance and basic troubleshooting of NMR spectrometers.
- NMR support to Chemistry and Pharm Sci groups for small molecule structure determination/elucidation, potency determination by qNMR experiments.
- Identify and implement collaborations with partners (academic, biotech and CRO) to enhance in-house capabilities.
DIMENSIONS AND ASPECTS
Technical/Functional (Line) Expertise
- Ph.D.in Biochemistry, Biophysics, or related discipline with at least 2 years of post-doctoral biophysics experience in a research and/or development environment, or MS degree with at least 10 years of biophysics experience, or BS degree with at least 12 years of biophysics experience, and a demonstrated working knowledge of biophysics scientific principles, or equivalent.
- Strong background in NMR spectroscopy and its application in drug discovery ranging from screening of fragment libraries (FBDD) to various approaches for validation and characterization studies.
- Deep knowledge of molecular recognition principles with a focus on reversible and irreversible small -molecules binding to biomolecular targets.
- Basic knowledge and ability to express and purify recombinant un-labeled and isotopically (15N and/or 13C) labeled proteins for NMR studies, including design and characterization of protein mutants depending on the chosen approach and project goals.
- Preferred knowledge of basic principles, applicability and limitations of other biophysical methods (E.g MS, SPR, MST etc)
- Familiar with other structural biology methods like X-ray crystallography and electron microscopy.
- Preferred knowledge of drug-like properties and their optimization in early drug discovery
- Preferred knowledge and experience in Structure-based and Ligand based design
- Demonstrates fundamental understanding of the drug discovery process
- Robust track record for identifying/ developing inhibitors of protein-protein and protein-ligand interactions proved by quality and quantity of publications/presentations/inventions.
Decision-making and Autonomy
- Independently manages own workload
- Scientifically independent
- Conducts scientific presentations to internal audiences
Receives high level instructions on all work, determines methods on new assignments, works closely with manager, may manage junior staff
EDUCATION, BEHAVIORAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- PhD degree in a scientific discipline and 2y+ experience in industry, or
- MS with 8+ years experience, or
- BS with 10+ years experience
This job posting excludes CO applicants
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Learn more at takedajobs.com.
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.
LocationsSan Diego, CA
Time TypeFull time
Job ID R0030707