Scientist I - Medicinal Chemistry
San Diego, California
Takeda fosters a collaborative and stimulating work environment filled with opportunity and the chance to make a difference in people's lives. It is a workplace driven by integrity, one of Takeda’s long-held values that extends to both the patients we serve and our employees who develop and deliver medicines. Across our company, Takeda employees bring together diverse strengths that together create a stronger whole.
As one of the world’s leading biopharmaceutical companies, Takeda is committed to bringing Better Health and a Brighter future to people worldwide. We aspire to bring our leadership in translating science into life-changing medicines to the next level, in our core focus areas; oncology, gastroenterology, neuroscience, rare diseases, plasma-derived therapies, and vaccines.
Takeda California generates highly disease-specific and patient-tailored transformative new medicines aligned with Takeda’s global market strategies through research in Gastrointestinal (GI), Neuroscience and Immunology. Takeda California’s team of experienced scientists and clinicians deliver on the needs of patients by blending its internal capabilities, global Takeda resources, and expertise and technology from best-in-class external partners. Takeda California has opened a new 165,000 square-foot building which is an external innovation and collaboration hub for San Diego.
We are a passionate team doing important work that impacts patients’ lives. If you are driven to create better health and a brighter future, join us!
What makes a successful member of our team? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Results Driven
- Team Player
Life at Takeda
Medicine for the world
We put the patient at the center of everything we do as we strive towards better health for people worldwide, through leading innovation in medicine.
Research & Development
By focusing R&D efforts on four therapeutic areas and other targeted investments, our aim is to thrive at the cutting edge of innovation that solves unmet medical needs, through internal R&D and in collaboration with cross-industry partners. We have the scale and expertise to be a leading global, Values-based, R&D-driven biopharmaceutical company with dynamic, focused R&D efforts.
“Other pharmaceutical companies may say they put ‘patients first’, but Takeda is living it.”
Head of Global Launch Excellence and Lifecycle Management
Bold initiatives, continuous improvement, and creativity are at the heart of how we bring scientific breakthroughs from the lab to patients.
Since 1781, the values of Takeda-ism (Integrity, Fairness, Honesty, and Perseverance) have guided everything we do—from decision-making to interacting with patients.
Our people-first mission extends beyond patients to include their families, communities, and our own Takeda family.
Through trust and respect, you will have genuine support from leaders, managers, and colleagues to do your best work.
A strong, borderless team, we strive together towards our priorities and inspiring mission.
Recognized for our culture and way of working, we’re one of only 13 companies to receive Top Global Employer® status for 2018.
Scientist I - Medicinal ChemistryApply Now
Provides theoretical/conceptual input to the design, development and execution of well-defined specific projects and within the area of expertise.
- Develops novel and efficient synthesis strategies and coordinates research strategies and activities with team members
- Designs synthetic targets for lead discovery and optimization to address issues of target potency, selectivity, animal pharmacokinetics, and in vivo efficacy
- Utilizes contemporary structure-based methods, structure-activity relationships, and medicinal chemistry principles in the proposal and execution of innovative chemistry strategies
- Conducts the synthesis of complex target molecules
- Designs viable synthetic routes and performs literature searches in support of research
- Creates relevant intellectual property for the company and contributes to patent authorship
- Contributes to the authorship of scientific manuscripts, frequently as principal author
- Maintains a current understanding of the synthetic literature and methodology, as well as the scientific literature related to a specific drug discovery project
- Keeps an accurate, comprehensible, concise notebook in accordance with company policy
- Influences the course of projects
- With general guidance, learns standards and levels of expectations for routine work; designs experimental strategies
- Learns company's discovery process
- Identifies routine obstacles to progress; solves a variety of problems
- Supports at least one project of defined scope and moderate complexity
- Represents own research to senior leadership, or for scientific collaborations, or a national scientific conference
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, OR
- MS in Chemistry with minimum 6 years of relevant chemistry research experience, OR
- BS in Chemistry with minimum 8 years of relevant chemistry research experience
- Clear general knowledge of chemistry
- Diverse practical experience in synthetic organic chemistry
- Clear understanding of experimental design
- Clear understanding of reaction mechanism
- Good understanding of basic biochemical and biological principles
- High level of professional expertise in modern laboratory and analytical methods
- Has demonstrated independent thought/creativity in science
- Ability to present work formally to internal scientific reviews
- Ability to convey ideas in an experimentally detailed yet scientifically concise manner
- Excellent communication and multitasking skills
- Expert knowledge of applicable lab equipment
- Possesses a high degree of scientific discretion/intuition
- Proficiency with chemistry drawing software (e.g., Chemdraw) and MS office applications
- None required
- Manual dexterity required to operate standard laboratory and office equipment
- Carrying, handling and reaching for objects
- Exposure to hazardous/toxic/dangerous chemicals
- Prolonged standing and/or sitting
- May travel to various domestic conferences or client sites, including overnight trips
- Some international travel may be required
- Requires up to 2% travel
San Diego, CA
Job ID R0006255