Sci II/Sr. Scientist, Discovery Toxicology
San Diego, California
Takeda fosters a collaborative and stimulating work environment filled with opportunity and the chance to make a difference in people's lives. It is a workplace driven by integrity, one of Takeda’s long-held values that extends to both the patients we serve and our employees who develop and deliver medicines. Across our company, Takeda employees bring together diverse strengths that together create a stronger whole.
As one of the world’s leading biopharmaceutical companies, Takeda is committed to bringing Better Health and a Brighter future to people worldwide. We aspire to bring our leadership in translating science into life-changing medicines to the next level, in our core focus areas; oncology, gastroenterology, neuroscience, rare diseases, plasma-derived therapies, and vaccines.
Takeda California generates highly disease-specific and patient-tailored transformative new medicines aligned with Takeda’s global market strategies through research in Gastrointestinal (GI), Neuroscience and Immunology. Takeda California’s team of experienced scientists and clinicians deliver on the needs of patients by blending its internal capabilities, global Takeda resources, and expertise and technology from best-in-class external partners. Takeda California has opened a new 165,000 square-foot building which is an external innovation and collaboration hub for San Diego.
We are a passionate team doing important work that impacts patients’ lives. If you are driven to create better health and a brighter future, join us!
What makes a successful member of our team? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Results Driven
- Team Player
Life at Takeda
Medicine for the world
We put the patient at the center of everything we do as we strive towards better health for people worldwide, through leading innovation in medicine.
Research & Development
By focusing R&D efforts on four therapeutic areas and other targeted investments, our aim is to thrive at the cutting edge of innovation that solves unmet medical needs, through internal R&D and in collaboration with cross-industry partners.
“It’s about putting the patient at the center of everything we do. Takeda is very rooted in our four priorities of Patient, Trust, Reputation, Business, or PTRB.”
Chief of Staff
Meet Jen, the Chief of Staff and Head of Gastroenterology (GI) Therapeutic Area Unit General Operations in Boston, Massachusetts.
Bold initiatives, continuous improvement, and creativity are at the heart of how we bring scientific breakthroughs from the lab to patients.
Since 1781, the values of Takeda-ism (Integrity, Fairness, Honesty, and Perseverance) have guided everything we do—from decision-making to interacting with patients.
Our people-first mission extends beyond patients to include their families, communities, and our own Takeda family.
Through trust and respect, you will have genuine support from leaders, managers, and colleagues to do your best work.
A strong, borderless team, we strive together towards our priorities and inspiring mission.
Recognized for our culture and way of working, we’re one of only 13 companies to receive Top Global Employer® status for 2020.
Sci II/Sr. Scientist, Discovery ToxicologyApply Now
Are you looking for a patient-focused company that will inspire you and support your career? If so, be empowered to take charge of your future at Takeda. We endeavor to build an industry-leading Discovery Toxicology program at Takeda. Become a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission by joining as a Discovery Toxicologist in our San Diego office.
At Takeda, we are transforming the pharmaceutical industry through our R&D-driven market leadership and being a values-led company. To do this, we empower our people to realize their potential through life-changing work. Certified as a Global Top Employer, we offer stimulating careers, encourage innovation, and strive for excellence in everything we do. We foster an inclusive, collaborative workplace, in which our global teams are united by an unwavering commitment to deliver Better Health and a Brighter Futureto people around the world.
Here, you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission.
Our ideal candidate will have a proven track record in prominent roles supporting cross-functional Discovery teams. She/he is able to leverage their deep insights into cellular and pathway mechanisms, coupled with knowledge of toxicology in order to provide expert advice and direction to improve the quality of therapeutics. An emphasis in the fields of immunology, gastrointestinal and/or neuroscience would be a strong plus.
- As part of the Global Discovery Toxicology Team work in interdisciplinary teams within and across Global Safety to provide safety support to early discovery teams and engage in core activities within the Discovery Toxicology group
- Work as part of a team of safety assessment scientists and more broadly DMPK, pathology, pharmacology, and medicinal chemistry experts to implement discovery toxicology strategy to enable the selection and progression of optimized drug candidates
- Apply novel toxicity mechanism-based assays and integrated models to support early target safety and chemistry/modality evaluation.
- Provide pharmaceutical drug project teams with expert advice and direction to improve the quality of therapeutics selected for further development based on proactive risk assessment of target- and chemotype-related toxicities
- Develop comprehensive target safety reviews with risk mitigation plan for early drug discovery project teams based on literature, bioinformatics, and other predictive tools.
- Apply state of the art in silico, in vitro, and in vivo de-risking strategies to aid in the selection and optimization of large and small molecule therapeutics, as well as new therapeutic modalities
- Lead the development of early hypothesis-driven investigation into mechanisms of toxicity for the proactive management of potential safety liabilities and communication of impact to teams
EDUCATION, BEHAVIORAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS
- PhD in a scientific and 5+ years of experience working at a pharmaceutical company
- Passion to decrease safety related attrition in drug discovery
- Demonstrated experience and ability to work effectively in a matrix, global environment as part of a multidisciplinary team
- Broad scientific knowledge including pharmacology, toxicology, cell/molecular biology, physiology and biochemistry.
- Experience in drug development across mixed modalities and an extensive knowledge in immunology, gastrointestinal, and/or neuroscience is desired.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- DABT certification a plus, but not necessary
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Discover more at takedajobs.com
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.
San Diego, CA
Job ID R0023274