What makes a successful member of our team? Check out the top traits we are looking for and see if you have the right mix
Engage Others Motivates and influences others to gain support for ideas, strategies and actions in service to providing superior pharmaceutical products to patients; provides appropriate background so that messages are meaningful with audiences.
Collaboration Establishes productive relationships and partners with others across the organization to ensure common understanding of objectives and achieve shared goals.
Drive for Results Holds self and others accountable for delivering on commitments that align with our short- and long-term goals, never forgetting the end result is to help patients through innovation in medicine.
Strategic Approach Makes sound decisions that are consistent with our mission, values and organizational objectives.
Lead Change Proactively evaluates, promotes, and initiates change that creates value for patients, the organization, and our shareholders.
Self Awareness Seeks feedback from others, modifies self-perceptions and actions based on this feedback, and actively develops skills and behaviors to enhance contribution.
Develop Capabilities Seeks opportunities to develop oneself and others so that we can continue to achieve sustained growth.
Takeda builds strong, borderless and empowered teams through fairness and promoting shared goals. By working together, we optimize energy and can lead the change for a better world.
Takeda implements bold initiatives on a daily basis by striving for continuous improvement and encouraging enthusiasm and creativity. This value speaks to attracting the best minds in the industry that are committed to delivering novel therapies to patients worldwide.
Takeda respects and includes a broad range of people and ideas in its daily operations. Our organization encourages each individual to act with empathy and to apply their unique skills to realize the company’s true potential.
Takeda's drive comes from perseverance, urgency and a strong desire to contribute to patients. We put this passion to work in everything we do and demonstrate courage to fight for ideas and objectives to raise the quality of our solutions, create stronger ties with our stakeholders, and deliver results.
Takeda works to meet its responsibilities to stakeholders on a daily basis. We provide adequate support and challenge to ensure we deliver high-quality solutions that help more people around the world.
Takeda appropriately shares information and promotes honest, sincere dialogue with stakeholders to build trust. This trust enables us to strengthen our relationships with employees and external communities.
Medicine for the World
Inspired by Patients
Corporate Citizenship Activities
News and Events
Takeda's new research facility in San Diego, CA, to open Jan. 2019. "One of the really key features of this building is our intention to make it an external innovation and collaboration hub for San Diego,” said David Weitz, head of the unit. “Our cafeteria and all-employees space is actually outside security purposely, so that we can welcome the community in for events.” - San Diego Union Tribune, June 26, 2017.
One Vision: We aspire to cure cancer.
Takeda Pharmaceuticals is on the cutting edge of innovation, for more information on our latest breakthroughs and discoveries visit our newsroom today!
Recently Takeda California held their annual Tour de Takeda, donating $5 for every mile biked, ran or walked. By covering 3,362 miles, this year’s donation was $16,810! Funds were given to four non-profit organizations: Alzheimer’s Association of San Diego, Torrey Pines High School Foundation Science Department, Rancho YMCA’s Inclusion Program and Elementary Institute of Science.
Takeda is a global, innovation-driven pharmaceutical leader with 30,000 professionals working together across more than 70 countries. We have maintained an unwavering dedication to put patients first for more than 235 years while we live our values of Takeda-ism—Integrity, Fairness, Honesty, and Perseverance. We are united by our mission to strive towards Better Health and a Brighter Future for people worldwide through leading innovation in medicine.
We focus our research and development on the core therapeutic areas of oncology, gastroenterology, neuroscience, and on providing vaccines that address the most important infectious diseases. Novel products, especially in oncology and gastroenterology, as well as our presence in emerging markets, fuel our growth.
Takeda California generates highly disease-specific and patient-tailored transformative new medicines aligned with Takeda’s global market strategies through research in Gastrointestinal (GI), Neuroscience and Immunology. Takeda California’s team of experienced scientists and clinicians deliver on the needs of patients by blending its internal capabilities, global Takeda resources, and expertise and technology from best-in-class external partners. In early 2019, Takeda California will open a new 165,000 square-foot building with the intent to make it an external innovation and collaboration hub for San Diego.
Are you looking for a patient-focused company that will inspire you and support your career? If so, be empowered to take charge of your future at Takeda. Join us as a Principal Scientist, Peptide Chemist, Peptide Synthesis Chemistry in our San Diego, California office.
Here, everyone matters and you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission. As a Principal Scientist, Peptide Chemist, Gastroenterology Chemistry working on the Gastroenterology team, you will be empowered to provide expert medicinal chemistry and peptide chemistry input in evaluation of external partnership opportunities.
- The Principal Scientist, Peptide Chemist, Gastroenterology Chemistry independently leads, inspires and motivates chemistry and interdisciplinary project teams.
- This individual demonstrates a deep understanding of medicinal chemistry and in particular peptide and conjugation chemistry principles, and their application within an integrated drug discovery environment.
- This incumbent is responsible for setting strategies, priorities and managing activities to deliver on objectives and milestones.
- S/he collaborates with cross-functional partners to define and implement strategies for drug discovery programs from target validation to hit-to-tool/lead and/or lead optimization and to POM using internal, CRO and partner resources.
- S/he provides expert medicinal chemistry and peptide chemistry input in evaluation of external/partnership opportunities. Provides expert mentorship and proactively support the professional development of line reports and colleagues.
- Ability to formulate project level goals and strategy though collaboration with other members of the organization, and a thorough understanding drug discovery.
- Partners with cross-functional teams to generate data to supports the project goals & deliverables to drive key GNG decisions for drug discovery program from target validation to ePoC.
- Leads chemistry and peptide chemistry and/or cross-functional teams (in house and with partners) in defining and implementing strategies for hit identification, hit-to-tool optimization, lead optimization and delivery of candidate molecules.
- Defines and ensures chemistry goals are aligned and integrated with project team goals.
- Independently leads, inspires and motivates both chemistry teams and multidisciplinary project teams. Capable of multitasking, including leading one or more hit to tool/lead and/or lead optimization programs while maintaining lab presence.
- Conceives and applies an integrated chemistry strategy and appropriately prioritizes resources to optimally meet project goals.
- Maintains a deep understanding of peptide and conjugation chemistry technologies including and their application to systemic and oral peptide drug discovery. Expertise in modern peptide chemistry especially SPPS and NCL. Expertise with aqueous bioconjugation and non-aqueous conjugation chemistry. Familiarity with modern analytical techniques including ITC, ESI LC/MS, MALDI/TOF MS, fluorescence microscopy, fluorometry, NMR, CD, and UV/VIS spectrophotometry.
- Establishes customized in vitro and in vivo compound testing flow schemes to support programs at all stages.
- Effectively manages internal and external (CRO) chemists. Able to rapidly shift resources and reprioritize in response to data.
- Provides expert peptide and conjugation chemistry input in evaluation of external/partnership opportunities, including participating in diligence exercises.
- Demonstrates inter-disciplinary knowledge of drug discovery (in vitro/in vivo pharmacology, ADME, PK/PD/E, translational research & toxicology) and is able to use this knowledge to influence project strategy.
- Supports early stage programs through a detailed knowledge of state of the art biophysical and biochemical methods and their application to druggability assessment and small molecule hit identification and characterization.
- Maintains a current appreciation of the scientific literature and understanding of the state of the art in med chem., peptide and conjugation chemistry, analytical chemistry, GI-targeted drug delivery and related areas.
- Prepares and organizes data for presentation. Presents written and oral reports to management.
- Communicates research efforts to collaborators, corporate partners, or at scientific meetings.
- Publishes original research and review articles in scholarly journals in order to build the reputation of Takeda California and the medicinal chemistry group.
- Identifies opportunities to collaborate with partners (academic, biotech and CRO) to enhance in-house capabilities/projects. Leads and manages external collaborations effectively.
- Strong and effective manager of both junior and senior scientists, demonstrating exemplary behaviors and able to support and enhance career development of all line reports
- Embraces and fosters Takeda culture and displays exemplary behaviors consistent with Takeda’s core values and mission.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Ph.D. in Organic/Medicinal/Peptide Chemistry with thesis, publication(s), postdoctoral experience, and a minimum of 8 years relevant scientific and technical experience including industry experience.
- Knowledgeable in all aspects of drug discovery from target discovery through to early clinical development.
- Proven track record in project leadership.
- Demonstrated expertise in hypothesis based medicinal and/or peptide chemistry. Proven track record of driving discovery programs to key pre-clinical G/NG decision points, including the successful identification of development candidates.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a dynamic multidisciplinary environment and matrix organization.
- Experience in late stage optimization and preclinical evaluation of small molecule and peptide drugs, including a detailed knowledge of the roles of DMPK, drug safety, CMC, formulation etc. Able to define and influence small molecule and peptide drug pre-clinical development strategy.
- Positive can-do attitude with excellent communication and collaboration skills and ability to work with cross-functional scientists. Ability to clearly and concisely conveys ideas and opinions.
- Highly motivated and flexible with ability to work in fast-paced environment. Ability to provide novel creative solutions to challenging problems. Desire to learn and tackle new challenges and initiatives.
- Professionally represents the organization in collaborations, partnership discussions, and external relationships and conferences.
- Proven track record of scientific contributions in life science as evidenced by quality and quantity of publications/presentations/inventions and/or products and clinical candidates.
- Experience in effectively managing more junior personnel and able to identify and create personalized development opportunities for line reports.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Manual dexterity required to operate office equipment (i.e., computers, phones, etc.).
- Carrying, handling and reaching for objects.
- Ability to stand and work in a laboratory environment
- Willingness to travel to various meetings or client sites, including overnight trips. Some international travel may be required.
- Requires approximately 5% travel.
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Learn more at takedajobs.com.
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.