Recruitment Fraud Alert
Takeda has received reports that there are instances of identity thieves posing as Takeda employees in an attempt to steal personal information from job seekers. In these cases, identity thieves visit job-related websites and invite candidates to online chats. During the chat, they press job seekers to provide bank account information and personal identification numbers. If you receive unexpected offers of employment from people claiming to work for Takeda, we suggest you do not correspond with them, do not click any hyperlinks and do not open any attachments.
At Takeda, we will never ask for personal financial information during any step of the interview nor do we charge job seekers fees as part of the recruitment process. Takeda’s recruiting correspondence will be sent by a recruiting representative with an @takeda.com email address – not @gmail.com, @yahoo.com, @hotmail.com or any other email domain service.
If you believe you have been contacted by an unauthorized person, please contact your local law enforcement agency immediately.
Principal Scientist, GI - Inflammation Drug Discovery Research
Are you looking for a patient-focused, innovation-driven company that will inspire you and empower you to shine? Join us as an Principal Scientist, GI / Inflammation Drug Discovery Research in our San Diego, California office.
At Takeda, we are transforming the pharmaceutical industry through our R&D-driven market leadership and being a values-led company. To do this, we empower our people to realize their potential through life-changing work. Certified as a Global Top Employer, we offer stimulating careers, encourage innovation, and strive for excellence in everything we do. We foster an inclusive, collaborative workplace, in which our global teams are united by an unwavering commitment to deliver Better Health and a Brighter Future to people around the world.
Here, you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission.
Senior scientific and team leader within the GI / Inflammation division of the GI Drug Discovery Unit (DDU) responsible for:
- Helping build an industry-leading GI / Inflammation drug discovery pipeline based on established strategy through project team leadership, including independent design and implementation of drug discovery pipeline programs
- Leading the evaluation and integration of external programs and academic collaborations into GI / Inflammation pipeline, in line with established strategic focus areas.
- Contributes to multiple projects, acting as senior scientific consultant and /or project team leader
- Responsible for the validation, nomination and progression of drug discovery pipeline programs in the GI/Inflammation area through direct project champion roles and management of junior staff
- Responsible for the evaluation, establishment and integration of external programs and academic collaborations into GI / Inflammation pipeline in line with established strategic focus areas.
- Matrix with other parts of the Takeda drug discovery organization including chemistry, DMPK, safety, translational, biomarker, and clinical development to advance pipeline programs
- Plays an active role in the evaluation of potential drug candidates for in-licensing
- Provides significant input into department strategy including areas of scientific focus, partnerships, and collaborations
- Participate in management of resourcing and budget planning for his/her pipeline programs
- Contributes to the preparation/editing/review of documents for regulatory submission (i.e., study reports, IB’s, IND’s)
DIMENSIONS & ASPECTS:
- Outstanding expertise and depth of knowledge in advancing drug discovery programs in immunology or immunology-adjacent fields
- Keeps up with the up-to-date scientific advancement in the academic and biotech arenas (e.g. competitive landscape, new technology, new research portfolio, and new partnerships)
- Demonstrates well-developed knowledge of other disciplines / departments and how they function together in a matrixed drug discovery organization
- Demonstrates effective project management and communication skills
- Designs and directs research strategy and activities to meet program objectives; provide
leadership, timelines and contingency plans
- Demonstrated excellence in clear and effective communication
- Ability to convey complex concepts in simple to understand terms
- Flexibility to navigate both high level and detail-focused discussions with different audiences while maintaining clarity
Decision-making and Autonomy
- Independently manages workload and expectations and the workload of junior staff
- Scientifically independent
- Demonstrated excellence in guiding drug discovery teams to make data-driven, go/no-go decisions within established timelines
- Scientific driver for research strategy that impacts group internally and outside area of function
- Initiates and leads external interactions and collaborations
- Frequent contact with internal and external personnel at various management levels
- Collaborates with other departments, and disciplines, acting as scientific authority within
- Identifies and initiates innovative programs that address untapped disease mechanisms and/or utilize novel therapeutic modalities
- Work closely with translational and biomarker teams to identify novel translational and companion biomarker strategies
- Incorporate novel methods into pipeline programs
- Utilize creative approaches to accelerate programs where applicable
- Determines methods on new assignments; makes strategic recommendations on projects
- Guides programs, teams and staff in heavily matrixed environment, incorporating diverse views and perspectives
- May interface with external discovery teams and/or academic collaborators to impact internal program deliverables.
EDUCATION, BEHAVIORAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- PhD degree in a scientific discipline with 8+ years experience , or
- MS with 12+ years experience, or
- BS with 14+ years experience
- Relevant travel
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Discover more at takedajobs.com
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.
EEO Verbiage for US Reqs
Takeda is proud in its commitment to creating a diverse workforce and providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, parental status, national origin, age, disability, citizenship status, genetic information or characteristics, marital status, status as a Vietnam era veteran, special disabled veteran, or other protected veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws, and any other characteristic protected by law.