Principal Scientist Early Target Discovery
San Diego, California
Takeda fosters a collaborative and stimulating work environment filled with opportunity and the chance to make a difference in people's lives. It is a workplace driven by integrity, one of Takeda’s long-held values that extends to both the patients we serve and our employees who develop and deliver medicines. Across our company, Takeda employees bring together diverse strengths that together create a stronger whole.
As one of the world’s leading biopharmaceutical companies, Takeda is committed to bringing Better Health and a Brighter future to people worldwide. We aspire to bring our leadership in translating science into life-changing medicines to the next level, in our core focus areas; oncology, gastroenterology, neuroscience, rare diseases, plasma-derived therapies, and vaccines.
Takeda California generates highly disease-specific and patient-tailored transformative new medicines aligned with Takeda’s global market strategies through research in Gastrointestinal (GI), Neuroscience and Immunology. Takeda California’s team of experienced scientists and clinicians deliver on the needs of patients by blending its internal capabilities, global Takeda resources, and expertise and technology from best-in-class external partners. Takeda California has opened a new 165,000 square-foot building which is an external innovation and collaboration hub for San Diego.
We are a passionate team doing important work that impacts patients’ lives. If you are driven to create better health and a brighter future, join us!
What makes a successful member of our team? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Results Driven
- Team Player
Life at Takeda
Medicine for the world
We put the patient at the center of everything we do as we strive towards better health for people worldwide, through leading innovation in medicine.
Research & Development
By focusing R&D efforts on four therapeutic areas and other targeted investments, our aim is to thrive at the cutting edge of innovation that solves unmet medical needs, through internal R&D and in collaboration with cross-industry partners.
“It’s about putting the patient at the center of everything we do. Takeda is very rooted in our four priorities of Patient, Trust, Reputation, Business, or PTRB.”
Chief of Staff
Meet Jen, the Chief of Staff and Head of Gastroenterology (GI) Therapeutic Area Unit General Operations in Boston, Massachusetts.
Bold initiatives, continuous improvement, and creativity are at the heart of how we bring scientific breakthroughs from the lab to patients.
Since 1781, the values of Takeda-ism (Integrity, Fairness, Honesty, and Perseverance) have guided everything we do—from decision-making to interacting with patients.
Our people-first mission extends beyond patients to include their families, communities, and our own Takeda family.
Through trust and respect, you will have genuine support from leaders, managers, and colleagues to do your best work.
A strong, borderless team, we strive together towards our priorities and inspiring mission.
Recognized for our culture and way of working, we’re one of only 13 companies to receive Top Global Employer® status for 2020.
Principal Scientist Early Target DiscoveryApply Now
Are you looking for a patient-focused, innovation-driven company that will inspire you and empower you to shine? Join us as a Principal Scientist Early Target Discovery at our recently dedicated San Diego Research Site.
At Takeda, we are transforming the pharmaceutical industry through our R&D-driven market leadership and being a values-led company. To do this, we empower our people to realize their potential through life-changing work. Certified as a Global Top Employer, we offer stimulating careers, encourage innovation, and strive for excellence in everything we do. We foster an inclusive, collaborative workplace, in which our global teams are united by an unwavering commitment to deliver Better Health and a Brighter Future to people around the world.
Here, you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission. As a Principal Scientist Early Target Discovery, you will be empowered to serve on project teams for discovery to development programs.
- Independently designs, develops and execute research assignments, contributing to multiple projects, acting as senior scientific consultant or as manager of a smaller, early staged matrix project team
- Independently develops solutions and strategies within own expertise while using breadth of knowledge of other disciplines
- Ensures the appropriate conduct of studies, leads the interpretation of study results, and prepares study reports suitable for internal or regulatory use
- Lead protein-protein interactions projects to understand the mechanism of action (MOA) for disease associated mutations leading to initiation of drug discovery programs in alignment with Takeda Drug Discovery Unit priorities
- Develop in vitro/ex vivo assays to characterize proteome-wide protein-protein interactions and protein secondary modifications
- Design and execute in vitro/ex vivo experiments independently to determine the relevant functional readouts associated with modulation of the target functions using molecular, biochemical or enzymatic assays
- Generate, analyze and interpret data in appropriate scientific context and present data and project updates at department and cross-functional meetings
- Coordinate Early Target Discovery research activities with cross-functional groups or CROs
- Document experiments and results accurately in databases and in written reports
- Work exceptionally well with others in a fast paced and team environment
DIMENSIONS AND ASPECTS
Technical/Functional (Line) Expertise
- Demonstrates broad technical program knowledge
- Acts as the recognized scientific resource on an aspect of a program
- Demonstrates effective project management skills
- Develops and oversees novel scientific projects and will manage the work of others directly or in a matrixed structure
Decision-making and Autonomy
- Scientifically independent
- Independently manages workload and expectations
- Provides information to group to influence direction, departmental goals and/or business
- Collaborates with others, and acts as scientific resource for an aspect of a program
- Participates in external interactions and collaborations
- Receives high level instructions on work; determines methods on new assignments; greater demonstrated independence; may manage junior staff
EDUCATION, BEHAVIORAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- PhD degree in a scientific discipline with 8+ years experience , or
- MS with 12+ years experience, or
- BS with 14+ years experience in gene regulation, rare diseases, inflammatory diseases, neuroscience, or related field.
- Minimum of 2-4 years of drug discovery industry, project leadership experience is required
- Protein biochemistry background and expertise is highly desired
- Extensive experience in Molecular biology, fusion-protein library construction, assay development, primary cell isolation and culture, transfection/viral transduction, siRNA knockdown, ELISA, WB, Co-IP, and immunohistochemistry is required
- Strong communication and organizational skills, especially the ability to work across multiple scientific disciplines and functions are necessary
- WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Learn more at takedajobs.com.
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.
San Diego, CA
Job ID R0011548