Director - Structural Biology and BiophysicsApply Now Job ID 1602180 Date posted08/22/2017 Location San Diego, California, United States;
Are you looking for a patient-focused company that will inspire you and support your career? If so, be empowered to take charge of your future at Takeda. Join us as a Director - Structural Biology and Biophysics in ourSan Diegooffice.
- Effectively prioritizes and aligns efforts of the group with global Takeda drug discovery efforts to maximize timeliness and impactfulness of the group’s efforts.
- Proactively identifies collaborative opportunities within Takeda and with the external research community and oversees the execution of Takeda structural biology and biophysics collaborations, consortiums, and contracts.
- Leads the identification and utilization of new and emerging technologies, whether performed internally or accessed via outside collaborators, to keep the group’s access and utilization of the most impactful technologies current, including state-of-art high throughput construct design, protein production, purification and crystallization, crystallography and biophysics.
- Cultivates a proactive, collaborative, innovative, outward looking, problem solving culture within the group and develops future managers and leaders of the group.
- Develops and executes strategies to improve productivity including challenging the status quo and conceptualizing the design and implementation of new and advanced experimental techniques and procedures.
- Identifies, proposes and develops new solutions to the discovery strategy; contributes to development of company's concepts and principles; develops unique solutions to complex problems involving evaluation of multiple interacting factors.
- Participates dynamically with other managers in setting criteria, supporting the drug discovery portfolio, and managing new drug discovery target identification opportunities.
- Responsible for setting and overseeing group goal-setting, budget administration, and other administrative functions.
EDUCATION, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Ph.D. in Biochemistry or Biology with thesis, publication(s), postdoctoral experience and minimum 10-12 years of industry experience, OR
- MS and minimum 16+ years of industry experience, OR
- BS and minimum 12+ years of industry experience and 7+ years of supervisory experience
- Proven track record of applying structural biology and biophysics in the areas of fragment based and structure based drug discovery with strong familiarity with SPR, NMR, Tm, cryEM, and other biophysics techniques and familiarity with application of these techniques to antibody optimization and maturation.
- Effective leader, manager and mentor that can build and motivate a high functioning team as well as evangelizing team’s capabilities within the organization to cultivate its impactful involvement in drug discovery.
- Experience effectively managing external collaborations and service providers and able to bring pragmatic business minded approach to balancing utilization of internal and external capabilities
- Professionally represents the group and company more broadly in collaborations, partnership discussions, and external relationships and conferences with the ability to convey ideas in an experimentally detailed yet scientifically concise and effective manner.
- Proven track record of scientific contributions in life science as evidenced by quality and quantity of publications/presentations/inventions and/or products and clinical candidates.
- Positive can-do attitude with strong collaboration skills and ability to team effectively with drug discovery scientists.
- Highly motivated and flexible with ability to work in fast-paced environment. Ability to provide novel creative solutions to challenging problems. Desire to learn and tackle new challenges and initiatives.
- Possesses a high degree of scientific discretion/intuition and integrity
- Exposure to hazardous/toxic/dangerous chemicals
- Working in cold room (4°C)
- May travel to various domestic conferences or client sites, including overnight trips. Some international travel may be required
- Requires approximately 10-15% travel
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Takeda is an EEO employer of minorities, women, disabled, protected veterans, and considers qualified applicants with criminal histories in accordance with applicable laws. For more information, visit http://www.takeda.us/careers/EEO_Policy_Statement.aspx