What makes a successful member of our team? Check out the top traits we are looking for and see if you have the right mix
Engage Others Motivates and influences others to gain support for ideas, strategies and actions in service to providing superior pharmaceutical products to patients; provides appropriate background so that messages are meaningful with audiences.
Collaboration Establishes productive relationships and partners with others across the organization to ensure common understanding of objectives and achieve shared goals.
Drive for Results Holds self and others accountable for delivering on commitments that align with our short- and long-term goals, never forgetting the end result is to help patients through innovation in medicine.
Strategic Approach Makes sound decisions that are consistent with our mission, values and organizational objectives.
Lead Change Proactively evaluates, promotes, and initiates change that creates value for patients, the organization, and our shareholders.
Self Awareness Seeks feedback from others, modifies self-perceptions and actions based on this feedback, and actively develops skills and behaviors to enhance contribution.
Develop Capabilities Seeks opportunities to develop oneself and others so that we can continue to achieve sustained growth.
Takeda builds strong, borderless and empowered teams through fairness and promoting shared goals. By working together, we optimize energy and can lead the change for a better world.
Takeda implements bold initiatives on a daily basis by striving for continuous improvement and encouraging enthusiasm and creativity. This value speaks to attracting the best minds in the industry that are committed to delivering novel therapies to patients worldwide.
Takeda respects and includes a broad range of people and ideas in its daily operations. Our organization encourages each individual to act with empathy and to apply their unique skills to realize the company’s true potential.
Takeda's drive comes from perseverance, urgency and a strong desire to contribute to patients. We put this passion to work in everything we do and demonstrate courage to fight for ideas and objectives to raise the quality of our solutions, create stronger ties with our stakeholders, and deliver results.
Takeda works to meet its responsibilities to stakeholders on a daily basis. We provide adequate support and challenge to ensure we deliver high-quality solutions that help more people around the world.
Takeda appropriately shares information and promotes honest, sincere dialogue with stakeholders to build trust. This trust enables us to strengthen our relationships with employees and external communities.
Medicine for the World
Inspired by Patients
Corporate Citizenship Activities
News and Events
Takeda's new research facility in San Diego, CA, to open Jan. 2019. "One of the really key features of this building is our intention to make it an external innovation and collaboration hub for San Diego,” said David Weitz, head of the unit. “Our cafeteria and all-employees space is actually outside security purposely, so that we can welcome the community in for events.” - San Diego Union Tribune, June 26, 2017.
One Vision: We aspire to cure cancer.
Takeda Pharmaceuticals is on the cutting edge of innovation, for more information on our latest breakthroughs and discoveries visit our newsroom today!
Recently Takeda California held their annual Tour de Takeda, donating $5 for every mile biked, ran or walked. By covering 3,362 miles, this year’s donation was $16,810! Funds were given to four non-profit organizations: Alzheimer’s Association of San Diego, Torrey Pines High School Foundation Science Department, Rancho YMCA’s Inclusion Program and Elementary Institute of Science.
Takeda is a global, innovation-driven pharmaceutical leader with 30,000 professionals working together across more than 70 countries. We have maintained an unwavering dedication to put patients first for more than 235 years while we live our values of Takeda-ism—Integrity, Fairness, Honesty, and Perseverance. We are united by our mission to strive towards Better Health and a Brighter Future for people worldwide through leading innovation in medicine.
We focus our research and development on the core therapeutic areas of oncology, gastroenterology, neuroscience, and on providing vaccines that address the most important infectious diseases. Novel products, especially in oncology and gastroenterology, as well as our presence in emerging markets, fuel our growth.
Takeda California generates highly disease-specific and patient-tailored transformative new medicines aligned with Takeda’s global market strategies through research in Gastrointestinal (GI), Neuroscience and Immunology. Takeda California’s team of experienced scientists and clinicians deliver on the needs of patients by blending its internal capabilities, global Takeda resources, and expertise and technology from best-in-class external partners. In early 2019, Takeda California will open a new 165,000 square-foot building with the intent to make it an external innovation and collaboration hub for San Diego.
Are you looking for a patient-focused company that will inspire you and support your career? If so, be empowered to take charge of your future at Takeda. Join us as an Associate Director – Structural Biology in our San Diego office.
Here, everyone matters and you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission. As an Associate Director working on the Structural Biology team, you will be empowered to lead protein chemists and structural biologists in Takeda’s Global Structural Biology and Biophysics group.
The Associate Director of Structural Biology based in San Diego, leads the protein chemists and structural biologists in Takeda’s global Structural Biology and Biophysics group. This individual is responsible for identifying opportunities to employ the group’s capabilities in the areas of Structural Biology to accelerate advancement of discovery programs in alignment with Takeda Drug Discovery Unit (DDU) priorities. This incumbent supervises the group’s execution of those opportunities to maximize the impactfulness of the group’s research contributions to Takeda’s drug discovery efforts. S/he supports a group culture that is proactive, collaborative, innovative and external facing. S/he insures that the group is employing the most current, effective and applicable technologies, whether internally or externally, to advance Takeda’s drug discovery programs through protein production and structural biology techniques.
- Leads the group’s efforts to identify project opportunities across all of Takeda research for using the group’s capabilities in the area of Structural Biology to accelerate advancement of Takeda discovery programs in alignment with Takeda Drug Discovery Unit (DDU) priorities.
- Actively and regularly prioritizes and aligns structural biology efforts and utilization of group resources with DDU priorities so as to maximize the timely impactfulness of the group’s research contributions to Takeda’s pipeline.
- Proactively builds external relationships and collaborations that supplement the group’s internal capabilities so that the group is best capable to advance Takeda’s drug discovery programs through structural biology techniques, whether internally or externally.
- Leads the identification, evaluation and utilization of new and emerging technologies to keep the group’s access and utilization of the most impactful structural biology technologies current, including state-of-art high throughput construct design, protein production, purification and crystallization, and crystallography.
- Oversees effective and productive execution of collaborations, consortiums, and other external relationships relating to structural biology.
- Works effectively with Takeda research managers in other functional areas to insure structural biology personnel work as effective partners with those other functional areas.
- Supports an overall group culture that is proactive, collaborative, innovative and external facing
- Mentors and develops individual talent capable of taking on future leadership roles in group.
EDUCATION, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Ph.D. in Biochemistry or Biology with thesis, publication(s), postdoctoral experience and minimum 10 years of industry experience and 5+ years of supervisory experience.
- MS in Biochemistry or Biology and minimum 12 years of industry experience and 3+ years of supervisory experience.
- Effective manager and mentor that can build and motivate a high functioning team of scientists as well as evangelizing team’s capabilities within the organization to cultivate its impactful involvement in drug discovery.
- Proven track record of applying structural biology in the areas of fragment based and structure based drug discovery. Experience with membrane proteins including GPCRs and/or ion channels and/or nanobodies or antibodies a strong plus.
- Direct experience working with pharmaceutical drug discovery teams, capable of not only contributing to structural biology research efforts, but more broadly to pharmaceutical drug discovery projects.
- Experience effectively managing external collaborations and service providers and able to bring pragmatic business minded approach to balancing utilization of internal and external capabilities
- Professionally represents the group and company more broadly in collaborations, partnership discussions, and external relationships and conferences with the ability to convey ideas in an experimentally detailed yet scientifically concise and effective manner.
- Proven track record of scientific contributions in life science as evidenced by quality and quantity of publications/presentations/inventions and/or products and clinical candidates.
- Positive can-do attitude with strong collaboration skills and ability to team effectively with drug discovery scientists.
- Highly motivated and flexible with ability to work in fast-paced environment. Ability to provide novel creative solutions to challenging problems. Desire to learn and tackle new challenges and initiatives.
- Possesses a high degree of scientific discretion/intuition and integrity
- Exposure to hazardous/toxic/dangerous chemicals
- Working in cold room (4°C)
- May travel to various domestic conferences or client sites, including overnight trips. Some international travel may be required
- Requires approximately 10-15% travel
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Takeda is an EEO employer of minorities, women, disabled, protected veterans, and considers qualified applicants with criminal histories in accordance with applicable laws. For more information, visit http://www.takeda.us/careers/EEO_Policy_Statement.aspx