Medical Director - GIApply Now Email Me Job ID R0006121 Date posted 12/14/2018 Location:Oakville, Canada
Accountable for clinical/medical excellence and strategic leadership of a core therapeutic area of Takeda in Canada. Provides expertise and contributes strategic, medical clinical and scientific guidance to other business areas in Takeda Canada and to the global therapeutic leadership group.
KEY JOB ACCOUNTABILITIES:
Develops and defines, in alignment with the VP Medical & Scientific Affairs, the Canadian medical/clinical strategy for the therapeutic area. Oversees the implementation of these strategies and annual project plans. Identifies and provides mitigation strategies for issues identified in the therapeutic area, identifying and responding strategically to internal and external drivers of change.
Develop strong R&D and local evidence generation plans for the therapeutic area and be a strong advocate for investment in R&D in Canada by building strong relationships with Global and Regional R&D/Medical Affairs heads.
Establishes and maintains strong relationships with national opinion leaders in therapeutic area of expertise. Represents the interests of Takeda Canada to these networks, individuals or organizations and ensures that therapeutic team establishes and maintains comparable networks and relationships.
Oversees the design and implementation of local trials and studies, and act as local Medical Monitor for clinical studies when required.
Develops and directs all staff resources within the therapeutic area. Responsible for recruitment, training and performance management of talent within the therapeutic area. Ensures all team members are trained on and act in accordance with Canadian and provincial laws, regulations and policies and Takeda policies guidelines, quality assurance and compliance requirements.
Ensures operational and functional collaboration with other departments and global therapeutic groups to deliver the portfolio and project priorities and to develop cross-brand and integrated business strategies.
Ensures that medical/scientific data, support and expertise is provided by team both internally and externally to government bodies, institutions, medical and health professionals, associations and networks. Ensures the correct interpretation and communication of scientific data related to Takeda products and ensures clinical evidence, promotional material and non-promotional material is scientifically sound and in compliance with Takeda standards, SOP’s and policies.
Continuously maintains awareness of external activities, product development and scientific literature related to therapeutic area and ensures leadership is kept aware of any developments impacting business direction. May generate summaries and critical assessments if appropriate.
Occupational Knowledge and Skills
- Strategic thinking ability demonstrated through a track record of success in leadership within the medical and /or research field preferably within the pharmaceutical industry.
- Strong demonstrated leadership skills to manage and develop a range of professionals within the therapeutic area.
- Demonstrated Leadership skills to develop strategies and plans including:
- Excellent interpersonal, collaboration and relationship management skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including presentation, influencing and negotiating skills and medical and scientific writing skills
- Financial skills to forecast and manage a budget and understanding the business implications of decisions and external influencers.
- State of the art knowledge of assigned therapeutic area and expertise in the medical/therapeutic usage of the specialty products. Subject area expertise to interact with opinion leaders and external experts as a peer.
- Project Management and facilitation skills
- Ability to plan and coordinate programs and activities
- Ability to analyze and interpret scientific results and to present complex scientific/medical information to scientific and lay audiences.
- Knowledge of the business strategies of Takeda Canada and the business implications of scientific and medical plans and decisions
- Knowledge of the Health Canada and other federal and provincial policies impacting area.
- Expert knowledge of Rx&D guidelines and PAAB code
- Extensive knowledge of clinical trial design, regulations and statistics
- Understanding of marketing principles and strategies
- Proven vendor and/or project management experience
EDUCATION, LICENSES/CERTIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE
- Doctorate degree: MD, PhD or PharmD
- 7 or more years experience in the Pharmaceutical Industry with demonstrated leadership skills in medical/scientific research field
- Experience in the Gastroenterology therapeutic area preferred
- Budgetary management experience required
- Bilingual (English/French) – an asset
- Willingness to travel to various meetings or client sites, including overnight trips. Some international travel may be required.