Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) Manager
Takeda fosters a collaborative and stimulating work environment filled with opportunity and the chance to make a difference in people's lives. It is a workplace driven by integrity, one of Takeda’s long-held values that extends to both the patients we serve and our employees who develop and deliver medicines. Across our company, Takeda employees bring together diverse strengths that together create a stronger whole.
As one of the world’s leading biopharmaceutical companies, Takeda is committed to bringing Better Health and a Brighter future to people worldwide. We aspire to bring our leadership in translating science into life-changing medicines to the next level, in our core focus areas; oncology, gastroenterology, neuroscience, rare diseases, plasma-derived therapies, and vaccines. The Greater Boston Area is headquarters to many of our Global and US business units.
We are a passionate team doing important work that impacts patients’ lives. If you are driven to create better health and a brighter future, join us!
What makes a successful member of our team? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Results Driven
- Team Player
Life at Takeda
A Global Top Employer
Recognized for our culture and way of working, we’re one of only select companies to receive Top Global Employer® status for 2019.
Check Out Takeda’s Cambridge Office
View a panoramic tour of the Cambridge office, study a map of the Takeda campus, and see all the amazing nearby attractions
Research & Development
By focusing R&D efforts on four therapeutic areas and other targeted investments, our aim is to thrive at the cutting edge of innovation that solves unmet medical needs, through internal R&D and in collaboration with cross-industry partners. We have the scale and expertise to be a leading global, Values-based, R&D-driven biopharmaceutical company with dynamic, focused R&D efforts.
Bold initiatives, continuous improvement, and creativity are at the heart of how we bring scientific breakthroughs from the lab to patients.
Since 1781, the values of Takeda-ism (Integrity, Fairness, Honesty, and Perseverance) have guided everything we do—from decision-making to interacting with patients.
Our people-first mission extends beyond patients to include their families, communities, and our own Takeda family.
Through trust and respect, you will have genuine support from leaders, managers, and colleagues to do your best work.
A strong, borderless team, we strive together towards our priorities and inspiring mission.
Recognized for our culture and way of working, we’re one of only 13 companies to receive Top Global Employer® status for 2018.
Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) ManagerApply Now
The EHS Manager will guide and develop a team of EHS Specialists to support all site and global EHS programs, trainings, inspections and activities across Massachusetts Bio Operations sites (including manufacturing locations in Lexington and Cambridge, warehouses in North Reading and Belmont, and associated offices). He/she will ensure that all related internal and external compliance obligations are met while providing excellent customer service to the site. A strong focus will be placed on technical expertise, EHS project and program ownership, leadership and ability to influence business partners.
The following are general guidelines and time spent on each activity may vary widely dependent on site activities and workforce:
- 20% Collaborate with and influence other Takeda departments to implement programs, manage change and respond to incidents
- 20% Manage, mentor and develop direct reports
- 15% Develop and lead EHS programs to ensure compliance with the latest regulations, best practices or corporate standards.
- 15% Ensure that all EHS related incidents are reported and investigated to determine causes. Help establish and implement corrective actions and make recommendations for areas needing improvement. Track corrective actions to closure. Ability to lead complex investigations across the site
- 10% Compile metrics for internal or corporate reporting - continuously improve data integrity
- 10% Plan and direct activities of junior staff, consultants and/or contractors for day-to-day operations
- 5% Interface with corporate EHS and site leadership team for program development and implementation
- 5% Develop and deliver EHS training to all personnel as required by regulations and by Shire standards and procedures. Lead and assist with internal audit inspections related to the EHS program requirements for Takeda . Gather and manage data related to the EHS programs working with other Takeda departments, consultants, and contractors; assemble, analyze and deliver the data for reports to State or Federal agencies
Education & Experience Requirements
- Essential: 7+ years’ experience in the EHSS field; BS/BA required in technical discipline: engineering, safety, industrial hygiene, environmental studies, life science or similar field.
- Desired: Professional certification and/or Master’s Degree in related field.
- Experience in pharmaceutical manufacturing/laboratories or other highly-regulated industry (oil & gas, pulp & paper, chemical manufacturing, steel, etc.) strongly desired. Experience with management systems, LEAN, Six Sigma methodology preferred. Previous direct reports or direct oversight of personnel desired.
- Position is located in Lexington and/or Cambridge, MA
- Ability to operate a car (valid driver’s license) and travel via air, rail or other means of passenger conveyance.
- Travel to satellite locations required (Belmont, N. Reading, and Cambridge)
- Travel to corporate EHSS meetings, conferences, audits, etc. upon request
- Continuous professional development by attending EHSS professional organization meetings whether local or out of state
- Candidate must be able to work in controlled environments requiring special gowning and wear of protective clothing over the head, face, hands, feet and body. No make-up, jewelry, nail polish or artificial fingernails may be worn in manufacturing work environments.
- May involve occasional work in a cold, hot, high-noise, at heights, or wet environment.
- Work may be required outside of the standard 8-hour workday including weekends.
- Must be able to lift, push, pull and carry up to 25 lbs. and remain standing or walking for extended periods in the performance of site inspection and compliance activities
- In general, the position requires a combination of sedentary work and walking around observing conditions.
Notice to Employment / Recruitment Agents:
Employment / Recruitment agents may only submit candidates for vacancies only if they have written authorization to do so from Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda’s Talent Acquisition department. Any agency candidate submission may only be submitted to positions opened to the agency through the specific Agency Portal. Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda will only pay a fee for candidates submitted or presented where there is a fully executed contract in place between the Employment / Recruitment agents and Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda and only if the candidate is submitted via the Agency Portal. Candidates submitted or presented by Employment / Recruitment Agents without a fully executed contract or submitted through this site shall not be deemed to form part of any Engagement for which the Agency may claim remuneration.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda, is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce. Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda, will not discriminate against any worker or job applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy, gender reassignment, non-job related mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, military service, application for military service, or membership in any other category protected under law.
EEO is the Law - https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf
EEO is the Law – Supplement - https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/OFCCP_EEO_Supplement_Final_JRF_QA_508c.pdf
Pay Transparency Policy - https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_formattedESQA508c.pdf
Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda, is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please call 484-595-8400 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
Job ID SR0031397