Analytical Sciences Fellow, Small Molecule
Every day, employees working in Takeda’s Global Manufacturing and Supply Chain, and Global Quality business unit are shaping the future of healthcare. They are breaking down barriers and ensuring our life-changing medicines are available, accessible, and affordable to patients. Life-changing for you. Life-changing for patients.
Global Manufacturing and Supply Chain, and Global Quality is the backbone of Takeda, and our employees are the guardians for our patients, our products, and our reputation. As a member of our team, we can offer you the opportunity to grow in a meaningful career, develop your skills, and come to work every day knowing that what you do makes a genuine difference.
What makes a successful member of our team? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
Life at Takeda
A Global Top Employer
Recognized for our culture and way of working, we’re one of only select companies to receive Top Global Employer® status for 2021.
At Takeda, your determination and energy, combined with our cutting-edge technology and global R&D, offers families and communities hope for Better Health and a Brighter Future.
Learn more about Manufacturing, Supply Chain, and Quality careers within our global biopharmaceutical company.
At Takeda, there is an unwavering commitment to putting patients first, and to creating a workplace that is underpinned by empowerment and focused on diversity, collaboration and steadfast values.
Bold initiatives, continuous improvement, and creativity are at the heart of how we bring scientific breakthroughs from the lab to patients.
Here, you will feel welcomed, respected, and valued as a vital contributor our global team.
Through trust and respect, you will have genuine support from leaders, managers, and colleagues to do your best work.
A strong, borderless team, we strive together towards our priorities and inspiring mission.
Recognized for our culture and way of working, we’re one of only 13 companies to receive Top Global Employer® status for 2021.
Our people-first mission extends beyond patients to include their families, communities, and our own Takeda family.
Analytical Sciences Fellow, Small MoleculeApply Now
Are you looking for a patient-focused, innovation-driven company that will inspire you and empower you to shine? Join us as an Analytical Sciences Fellow in our Lexington, MA office.
Here, you will be a vital contributor to ourinspiring, bold mission.
As an Analytical Science Fellow on the Analytical Sciences Quality Small Molecule Team you will:
- Provide strategic cohesive oversight and leadership to the analytical methods, analytical method transfer, and testing aspects for Takeda´s small molecule commercial product portfolio.
- Provide strategic direction through method performance monitoring across sites, analytical method lifecycle management and method reviews to drive compliance and improve method performance.
- Provide leadership in support of analytical troubleshooting and remediation projects as and when needed.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable GMP regulations globally.
- Mentor team members and colleagues to resolve complex problems, provide training as needed in analytical methodology, troubleshooting and regulatory strategy.
In this role, you will contribute to Takeda’s mission by:
- Serving as an analytical single point of contact (SPOC) with internal and external stakeholders for assigned small molecules products
- Developing and owning analytical method life cycle management (LCM) strategy and process tailored to each commercial small molecule product
- Developing and owning process and strategy for analytical method transfer and comparability studies
- Designing rational analytical control strategy and implementing analytical risk mitigation plans in accordance with QbD principles
- Providing analytical technical guidance regarding complex analytical issues to internal and external QC labs, and manufacturing sites by investigating and resolving complex analytical troubleshooting, deviations, and investigation (Rapid Response).
- Actively contributing to the preparation of internal audits and regulatory inspections (on-site).
- Providing regulatory support for analytical methods and related aspects, which includes providing analytical submission content strategy, analytical content authoring and review as needed.
- Considering all relevant aspects and understanding the impact and ramifications to all areas of Supply Chain (not just the technical area) so that decisions, solutions, and actions meet the technical requirements but also meets the needs of patients, GMP regulations, supply chain and the business.
- Participate and represent Takeda in key industry Quality forums (i.e. PQRI) to benefit patients by influencing, leading, and collaborating with key academia, industry and regulatory groups.
- Deep and broad expertise in Analytical Chemistry in support of small molecule products, including raw materials, intermediates, drug substances and drug product testing.
- Knowledge and expertise in all or some of the following analytical technologies: separation technologies (HPLC, GC, Chiral, etc), dissolution, spectroscopy (NMR, IR, MS, UV, Ramen etc.), impurity/degradant characterizations, solid state characterization (XRPD, SEM, etc.), powder and particulate characterization (PSD), compendial methods.
- Knowledge of CMC aspects of regulatory filings. Ability to author relevant analytical sections.
- Provides technical expertise to optimize and improve workstream with stakeholders (i.e. AD, GMS, OpUs, etc). Build analytical capabilities within internal departments as needed.
- Lead and deliver successful Technology Transfer activities across the CMO and internal network.
- Evaluate analytical method validation status and robustness of methods from development through transition to commercial status.
- Provide analytical evaluation and impact/risk assessment for proposed changes to API, raw materials, manufacturing processes, specifications, and methods.
- Implement risk mitigation plans proactively for analytical test methods associated with in-process control, release, and stability testing.
- Provides direct global analytical technical oversight for commercial small molecules products and coordination of compendial and non-compendial analytical testing for CTLs, CMOs and QC testing labs.
- Serve as an in-house analytical/technical expert for troubleshooting and investigating laboratory issues.
- Learn, enhance, and manage technical knowledge for assigned products, creating scientific reports that when compiled represent a comprehensive body of product knowledge.
LEADERSHIP AND COLLABORATION
- Create and enhance collaborative and trusting relationships internally and externally (CMO, CTL, CRO). Facilitate communication between departments, including meeting facilitation, progress tracking, and communications to leadership.
- Own and/or lead assigned projects. Ensure timely delivery on budget, with high quality, and to customer satisfaction.
- Effectively articulates technical issues to management and non-technical stakeholders.
- Take ownership of analytical issues and drive closure quickly, correctly, and permanently for commercial products.
- Build and maintain a network of robust relationships with Analytical Experts, Regulators, Suppliers, Contract Research Organizations, Contract Manufacturing Organizations, and Key Opinion Leaders in the pharmaceutical industry.
DECISION-MAKING AND AUTONOMY
- Determines the most appropriate course of action including technique and method selection, protocol and study design and execution, in-depth data analysis, factor evaluation and use of established practices and procedures for a variety of problems of broad scope and complexity, in alignment with organizational objectives and management oversight.
- Ensure timelines for various responsibilities and tasks are met. If needed, implement corrective actions to overcome significant obstacles or adverse events to get back on track.
- Monitors all operations and project-related activities and reacts as needed to ensure timely delivery of goals and to meet KPIs.
- Actively engage in professional industry forums with an eye towards staying current.
EDUCATION, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS
- Ph.D. with a minimum of 8 years industry or BS, MS with a minimum of 12 years industry
- Experience with Lean / Six Sigma methodologies preferred.
- High level, a highly-skilled analytical professional with proven ability to influence, negotiate, drive change, and ultimately deliver results.
- Relevant project management experience required.
- Exceptional problem solving and troubleshooting skills related to analytical methodology (and relevant correlations to manufacturing processes). Anticipates and removes obstacles so teams can deliver results and succeed.
- Strong verbal & written communication skills (including presentation skills). Can effectively articulate complex technical issues to a non-technical audience.
- Ability to work well across boundaries, both independently and in a team environment; Ability to prioritize work and multitask.
- Full understanding of relevant cGMPs, ICH and other global regulatory CMC guidance documents applicable to the manufacturing and testing of commercial products.
- Foster and demonstrate a culture of learning, ‘positive’ thinking, and leadership (vision, strategy and business alignment, people management, communication, influencing others, managing change).
- Some travel is required (both domestic and international) with varying demands dependent on the number and criticality of projects and/or technical issues.
- Expected range is 10% - 30%.
This job posting excludes CO applicants.
Time TypeFull time
Job ID R0028627