Regional Category Manager: Cell & Gene Therapies - Pharmaceutical Sciences, Research categoriesApply NowEmail Me Job ID R0019827 Date posted 05/15/2020 Location: Fujisawa, Japan
Are you looking for a patient-focused, innovation-driven company that will inspire you and empower you to shine? Join us as a Regional Category Manager for R&D supporting Cell & Gene Therapies and Research categories in our iPark facility, Shonan, Tokyo, Japan
At Takeda, we are transforming the pharmaceutical industry through our R&D-driven market leadership and being a values-led company. To do this, we empower our people to realize their potential through life-changing work. Certified as a Global Top Employer, we offer stimulating careers, encourage innovation, and strive for excellence in everything we do. We foster an inclusive, collaborative workplace, in which our global teams are united by an unwavering commitment to deliver Better Health and a Brighter Future to people around the world.
Here, everyone matters and you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission. As a Regional Category Manager working in the Global Real Estate, Facilities and Procurement Team (GREFP), you will be empowered to work closely with leaders across the Research and Cell & Gene Therapy teams that report into Research and Pharmaceutical Sciences within RnD and with Global Category Managers that support the development and execution of comprehensive Global Category Strategies across the RnD portfolio.
The role will focus on holistic value creation and be aligned with Research and with the newly formed Cell Therapy capability, blending a need for outstanding business partnering alongside category management excellence.
The current supply base is developing in Japan with a mix of Academic and Commercial suppliers. The role would negotiate for risk, financials and operational requirements with executive presence to be able to influence both internal teams and with suppliers. Key deliverables include developing the supply base, putting in place appropriate commercial arrangements within Japan to support the growing pipeline , working closely with commercial manufacturing supply chains , led by business and category leaders in Global Manufacturing and Supply Group, based in US.
This expanding capability will be differentiated through procurement expertise applied to establishing the T-Cira partnership with Kyoto University and ongoing business collaborations with Japanese based specialized Contract manufacturers to support new clinical programmes for cell therapy assets. Procurement support is needed to optimize the commercial performance (Financials and Risk) plus building and strengthening relationships as the assets move into the clinic.
The Regional Category Manager (RCM) plans and executes category initiatives within Asia region for a clearly defined sub-category or a group of elementary sub-categories with a total spend value of USD500m and develops and implements sub-category strategies for these markets facing spend categories as part of the wider Category Strategy. The RCM is accountable for a proportion of the overall category savings target and leads proactive category projects, spanning sourcing projects, demand management and process re-engineering, as well as managing sub-category specific supplier performance and innovation activities to support the delivery of the global procurement targets.
- To source Drug Substance, Drug Product and related starting materials such as cell banks, raw material manufacturing (e.g. vector, plasmid, guide RNA), gene editing technologies (e.g. CRISPR), analytical controls and clinical supply chains including cryochain shipping to ensure program needs are met in a cost effective, scalable and risk managed manner.
- To be the recognized supplier relationship owner for key suppliers, to foster collaborative relationships, to facilitate supplier performance and lead risk mitigation, managing issues and creating environment that fosters innovation to increase quality , speed and drive efficiency and cost management
- To have the commercial acumen to translate complex technical business requirements/priorities into contract negotiation strategy/plan and lead the supplier negotiation to deliver the best possible outcomes.
The position is responsible for providing financial and business analysis (e.g. Data mining of Procurement and Financial Systems, output analysis and interpretation), supporting global market intelligence in the category area and acting as the focal point for category subject matter expertise to the global business and procurement community.
The position will support Global Procurement Leadership in the development of formalized Category Management organization structures and category management methods and collaborates with procurement and business stakeholders on a global basis to ensure these are implemented effectively. In addition, the RCM will ensure appropriate Supplier Relationship Management efforts are implemented; the objective of which is to ensure performance delivery, continuous improvement and access to innovation from supplier arrangements to achieve value contribution targets on a global basis.
Through the application of rigorous Category Management tools, systems and techniques, the RCM will deliver business value (operational and financial) in line with the agreed functional and business goals. In addition, they will take personal ownership of large and/or complex arrangements and provide subject matter expertise for other supply and commercial arrangements as required.
Category Management Accountabilities:
- Collate supplier, market, category and internal business data and information for the sub-category and provide sub-category input and validation to the global Category Strategy, including facilitating involvement of relevant stakeholders. Using this as a basis, develop sub-category specific category strategies and communicate and distribute to relevant stakeholders in the procurement and business community. Strategies developed will be scalable and aligned appropriately across Takeda Operating Companies and functions.
- Provide sub-category input to inform the top-down target setting process and take responsibility for the delivery of sub-category savings targets following engagement in the target setting process.
- Develop a pipeline of sub-category initiatives and opportunities (Savings / Productivity / Risk Management / Innovation) required to meet targets using external supply market / business intelligence, application of benchmarking methodologies and internal business partner knowledge. This process may include management and coordination of specialist suppliers on market intelligence data.
- Provide input into the development of the Annual Category Plan based on the sub-category strategy, business planning activities and sub-category pipeline and ensure these are staffed and executed in a timely basis in line with targeted goals. This will involve providing oversight, support and coaching to any allocated project managers in the deployment of projects.
- Provide sub-category input into the development of the Category Management Handbook to translate the Category Strategy and Annual Category Plan into clear, practical guidance for key procurement and functional colleagues and ensure that category associates involved in operational buying activities have access to the Category Management Handbook.
- Liaise with the regional procurement hubs and the business to ensure the generation of monthly metrics reports:
- Delivery of and accurate reporting of Procurement Balanced Scorecard measures and Value Contribution targets (operational metrics, savings, quality etc.) achieved from implemented sourcing strategies
- Contract volumes and associated statistics by sub-category, geography and function, as appropriate
- Work with the required functions or other areas within GREFP and Takeda Business Services to support programs to deliver spend accuracy in the covered sub-category area in line with agreed goals.
- Ensure a robust approach to Supplier Performance and Innovation (SP&I), supported by members of the SP&I team:
- Provide input into the overall category supplier segmentation to identify key supplier relationships within the sub-category, with whom regular business supported reviews will be undertaken to at a minimum ensure delivery to expectations and target value over and above the contracted value via areas such as innovations.
- Establish value creation targets with key suppliers within the sub-category
- Determine and implement consistent Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) graded by level of segmentation and associated supplier performance review schedules
- Oversee reporting of supplier performance against goals
- Collate supplier information and feedback from countries, functions, sites, category teams and Business Partners
- Ensure sub-category contractual arrangements incorporate compliance and performance against KPIs
- Ensure negotiated contracts are clearly communicated and applied across the sub-category
- Ensure that any supplier performance risks and issues are resolved on a timely basis to end user satisfaction
- As well as within Procurement, develop strong working relationships with key stakeholders relating to sub-category accountabilities, Takeda’s Procurement Groups and General / Administrative functions such as Finance, IS, HR, Legal, Takeda Business Services, Privacy and Compliance to ensure appropriate inputs to sourcing strategies and implementation plans
- Support the global development and standardization of core category management infrastructure (Processes / Systems / Tools) and encourage adoption in the sub-category to improve procurement efficiency, performance and compliance
- Train and coach where appropriate procurement staff and project related resources as appropriate
- Contribute feedback to any project related resources as part of performance management
- Utilize the category specific escalation process to ensure that internal issues related to the category performance are addressed and resolved in a timely manner
- Follow the defined process to ensure contracts developed in the sub-category are effectively implemented at a global, regional and local level (as needed) including both terms and conditions and sign off procedures
- Ensure annual operating activities are undertaken within the allocated budget and provide timely reporting to the Global Category Lead as required
SCOPE OF SUPERVISION:
- Indirect supervision and mentorship of staff , as appropriate in project / matrix environment
- Position is technical subject matter expert and carries management responsibility across diverse regional and potentially global project teams and there is an expectation that this position will be a credible leader with senior stakeholders (VP, sVP levels)
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- Degree level educated
- 5+ years in-depth strategic and operational procurement experience with a solid working knowledge of category management
- 5+ years overall business experience, including working within a regulated industry
- Able to adopt a systematic approach to identify, analyze and bring about improvements to existing processes and optimization of business requirements
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills with the ability to work on several tasks or projects concurrently and the commercial acumen to understand the business value of work undertaken
- Capable of managing cross functional project teams to generate material value across multiple categories
- Direct experience in managing category management projects and development of sourcing strategies
- Proven Financial and Business Acumen (e.g. TCO, TEI, NPV & Cost Modeling)
- Outstanding communication and project management capabilities
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and complexity
- Change management and process improvement skills with direct experience in delivering business process change
- Strategic thinker with solid facilitation ability supported by excellent interpersonal competencies (communication, leadership, influencing)
- Proven capability in negotiation, conflict resolution and stakeholder management
- Ability to manage effectively in a global, fluid, interactive, matrix environment
- Skilled and experienced in project and risk management
- Knowledgeable in offshore operating environments e.g. Captive, Build Operate Transfer, Managed Service, Functional & Full-Service concepts
- Expert proficiency in basic MS Office© software and other business systems (Ariba, Emptoris Mpower, SAP etc.)
- Post graduate business-related qualification such as an MBA
- Analytical experience in positions of increasing analytical complexity, autonomy and responsibility. Demonstrated ability in organizing, analyzing and reporting complex financial data with solid grounding in basic procurement and financial processes and systems.
- International strategic sourcing / category management experience
- Pharmaceutical Industry or Management Consulting experience
- Professional Purchasing (e.g. CIPS), Project Management, or Finance related licenses or certifications would be considered advantageous
- Knowledgeable in systems and processes for efficient management of contract documentation, templates and processing tools (e.g. eSourcing, eAuction) with familiarity and awareness of relevant legal risks and issues
- Experience with enterprise systems and procurement tools such as Ariba, SAP or Purchase Order technology is preferred
- Ability to travel (air and ground both domestic and internationality) for various meetings at Takeda and Supplier sites.
- Allowances: Commutation, Housing, Overtime Work etc.
- Salary Increase: Annually
- Bonus Payment: Twice a year
- Working Hours: Headquarters (Osaka/ Tokyo) 9:00-17:30, Production Sites (Osaka/ Yamaguchi) 8:00-16:45, Research Site (Kanagawa) 9:00-17:45
- Holidays: Saturdays, Sundays, National Holidays, May Day, Year-End Holidays etc. (approx. 123 days in a year)
- Paid Leaves: Annual Paid Leave, Special Paid Leave, Refresh Leave, Maternity Leave, Childcare Leave, Family Nursing Leave, Philanthropy Leave.
- Flexible Work Styles: Flextime, Telework
Clickhereto find out Takeda’s Diversity & Inclusion
Empowering Our People to Shine