Lead, R&D Procurement AsiaApply NowEmail Me Job ID R0017305 Date posted 04/02/2020 Location: Fujisawa, Japan
Are you looking for a patient-focused, innovation-driven company that will inspire you and empower you to shine? Join us as a R&D Procurement Asia Lead for Research and Pharmaceutical Development activities in the Asia Region, based out of Shonan, Japan.
At Takeda, we are transforming the pharmaceutical industry through our R&D-driven market leadership and being a values-led company. To do this, we empower our people to realize their potential through life-changing work. Certified as a Global Top Employer, we offer stimulating careers, encourage innovation, and strive for excellence in everything we do. We foster an inclusive, collaborative workplace, in which our global teams are united by an unwavering commitment to deliver Better Health and a Brighter Future to people around the world.
Here, everyone matters and you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission. As Lead for R&D Procurement Asia working in the Global Real Estate, Facilities and Procurement Team (GREFP), you will be empowered to work closely with leaders across Research, Pharmaceutical Sciences and R&D Japan Regional Centre to deliver the goals and objectives with regards external spend and partnerships with strategic suppliers. Reporting to the Head of R&D Procurement you will develop and lead the R&D Procurement team in Japan and develop and deliver best practice in sourcing strategies across the region working with global category leaders.
- You will drive the development of the organization, including new procurement capabilities, e.g. Partnership management and Supplier Performance & Innovation in Japan.
- Oversee Japan Regional Category Managers, ensuring that they work effectively with the Global Category Leads and Managers to define and implement Global Category Strategies that appropriately reflect Japanese R&D and Procurement needs.
- Be a key member of R&D Procurement Leadership Team and GREFP Japan Leadership Team, serving as the senior Procurement interface for R&D Japan for GREFP functions including Operational Buying, Sustainable Procurement & Risk, Process & Systems, and non-R&D GCLs (Facilities, IT, Consulting, etc.) and single point of contact to connect with real Estate , Facilities, Security and Travel and Meetings.
- Serve as the senior Japan R&D Procurement representative to R&D stakeholders and key supplier partners on all Procurement matters (category management, supplier performance & innovation management, organizational transformation, and procurement operations).
You are responsible for crucial and complex stakeholder management both internally and externally (suppliers); stakeholders include senior management of R&D organization and of strategic partners, as well as GREFP LT members. You will also collaborate with senior manufacturing and supply chain (GMS&GQ) stakeholders and provide insights to the Global R&D senior management on the GREFP operating model.
1. Strategic Accountabilities
- Lead and develop a robust and sustainable R&D procurement function in Japan, ensuring delivery of GREFP goals and delivering value in line with R&D strategy and objectives.
- Develop strong working relationship with key business stakeholders and functions e.g. Finance, Legal, Quality, Compliance, Regulatory Affairs, Pharmacovigilence, GMS to ensure appropriate inputs to and support of global procurement strategies impacting R&D in Japan.
- Establish performance management and governance including delivery of and accurate reporting of performance in WAVE and in Balanced Scorecards for the category: savings, cost avoidance, increase productivity, issue recognition and resolution, risk management and lead supplier development and innovation programs with key strategic suppliers
- Create, lead and coach cross functional teams through various stage of Category and Sourcing management and ensure the resources, information and tools in place for project execution
- Define and implement Japan components of SP&I program in partnership with Global Category
- Leaders and R&D Partnership Office.
- Ensure high level of client/stakeholder satisfaction, develop and implement appropriate satisfaction survey.
2. Operational Accountabilities
- In collaboration with the Global Leads define, implement and oversee Japan category strategies.
- Support and represent R&D Procurement to Japan R&D operating functions ensuring adequate capabilities are available to deliver R&D Procurement needs in Japan.
- Support the Global Head R&D Procurement in planning future capability/capacity needs to ensure a robust, vigorous R&D Procurement function in Japan.
3. People Accountabilities
- Train and coach R&D Procurement staff (Category Managers), as well as R&D enabling staff (Project Managers, Operational buyers), ensuring appropriate knowledge of R&D Procurement and R&D organization and capabilities.
- Lead individual performance management process for all R&D Procurement staff in Japan ensuring that Japan staff engage effectively with Global R&D Procurement colleagues as regards category strategy definition and value delivery, as well as operational excellence.
- Develop a succession plan for the team to support career development and ensure the pipeline of talent
4. Administrative Accountabilities
- Collaborate with Japan HR, Finance and Legal to facilitate effective application of global procurement matters within R&D Procurement’s remit in Japan.
- Identify the budget needs to support the operating activities of R&D Asia procurement team (travel, training, team meeting etc.) and ensure this is provided as part of the annual budgeting cycle to Head R&D Procurement
SCOPE OF SUPERVISION:
- Up to 6-7 direct reports; up to 10 indirect reports.
- Position is a technical subject matter expert and carries significant management responsibility across diverse global project teams. There is therefore an expectation that the GCL will be a credible leader and considered a value adding business partner by senior stakeholders (VP, Senior VP levels).
- Has potential for additional line management responsibility in the future.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- Degree level educated
- Fluency in English and Japanese
- 10+ years in-depth strategic and operational procurement experience with extensive knowledge of category management and advanced strategic sourcing methodologies
- 10+ years overall business experience, including working within a regulated industry for regulated categories
- Demonstrated success leading global cross functional project teams to generate material value across multiple complex categories
- Documented experience leading cost reduction and value improvement programs
- Proven Financial and Business Acumen (TCO, TEI, NPV & Cost Modeling)
- Outstanding communication and project management capabilities with an ability to set priorities and direct staff
- Ability to efficiently navigate complexity and ambiguity within a corporate cross regional environment
- Change management and process improvement skills with direct experience in delivering complex business process / organizational change
- Strategic thinker with solid facilitation skills supported by excellent interpersonal competencies (communication, leadership, influencing) and the ability to explain procurement concepts to different audiences in an engaging manner
- Proven capability in negotiation, conflict resolution and stakeholder management
- Ability to lead and manage effectively in a truly global, fluid, interactive, matrix environment
- Skilled and experienced in project and risk management
- Skilled and experienced in the application of Strategic Relationship Management principles and techniques
- Knowledgeable in offshore operating environments ideally with experience of Captive, Build Operate Transfer, Managed Service, Functional & Full-Service concepts
- Expert proficiency in basic MS Office© software
- Knowledgeable in Procurement specific systems and processes for the efficient management of sourcing events and contract negotiations (e.g. eSourcing, eAuction) with familiarity and awareness of relevant legal risks and issues
- Post graduate business-related qualification
- Documented international strategic sourcing experience
- Pharmaceutical Industry or Management Consulting experience
- Experience with enterprise systems (SAP, Oracle) and Procurement / procure-to-pay tools such as (e.g. Ariba, Emptoris, SAP, SMR) is preferred
- Any Professional Purchasing (e.g. CIPS / ISM, Project Management, or Finance related licenses or certifications would be considered advantageous
- High flexibility and willingness to travel (air and ground both domestic and internationality) for various meetings at Takeda and Supplier sites.
- Requires approximately 25% travel.
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- Allowances: Commutation, Housing, Overtime Work etc.
- Working Hours: Headquarters (Osaka/ Tokyo) 9:00-17:30, Production Sites (Osaka/Yamaguchi) 8:00-16:45, Research Site (Kanagawa) 9:00-17:45
- Holidays: Saturdays, Sundays, National Holidays, May Day, Year-End Holidays etc. (approx. 123 days in a year)
- Paid Leaves: Annual Paid Leave, Special Paid Leave, Refresh Leave, Maternity Leave, Childcare Leave, Family Nursing Leave, Philanthropy Leave.
Empowering Our People to Shine
Discover more at takedajobs.com