EHS Senior SpecialistApply Now Email Me Job ID SR0017716 Date posted 01/08/2019 Location:Dublin, Ireland; Dunboyne, Ireland
This role will be part of the EHS Team for our new state of the art single use multi-product biotech facility in Piercetown, County Meath, Ireland. This facility will manufacture enzyme replacement and antibody-based therapies for Takeda, the leading global biotech company focused on rare diseases. The overall responsibility for this role will be to help build the safety culture for the site and strengthen that positive culture by collaborating strongly with all levels within the organisation. The role shall participate in safety reviews of processes and systems and give advice on all EHS aspects for handover from construction stage of project to commissioning and qualification stages, assist in sustaining and continuously improving best in class environment, health and safety policies, strategies and management systems within the organisation, ensure that objectives are effectively achieved, consistent with Takeda’s requirements to ensure compliance, safety and reliable supply to our customers. This is a critical role within the site EHS Team to help create value for our patients.
- Assist in building safety as a value within the site and maintain sustainable EHS programmes that are engrained within the site.
- Help create an environment of right first time in everything that we do through a focus on principles of lean, including simplification, standard work, visual management and a learning organisation.
- Responsible for assisting with timely updates of site EHS achievements and challenges.
- Responsible for helping to ensure compliance with EHS and all Takeda policies and procedures which are applicable to the site.
- Be an ambassador for the Takeda leadership behaviours of accountability, be positive, results driven and excellent manager of self and others.
- Role model the behaviours that creates a culture of respect and dignity in line with the Takeda Guide for ethical conduct.
- Ensure compliance with all EHS regulatory requirements. Ensure that all employees adopt the philosophy of the EHS policies, to ensure a safe and effective working environment, through the principles of involvement and deployment.
- Interpret Environment, Health and Safety regulations, corporate and company policies and translate into appropriate processes correctly documented by procedures and work instructions. Drive effective writing/revising/ rolling out of accurate operational procedures, training materials and EHS related procedures; ensure all work is subsequently carried out in line with same.
- Participation in process and system walk-downs and the completion of safety reviews with active follow up of action closure.
- Display proficiency in anticipating, recognizing, and evaluating (Risk Assessment) the potential hazards associated with a job task or workstation. Provide direction in the implementation of controls to address work place hazards identified in the evaluation process. Possess a thorough knowledge of engineering and administrative controls to minimize workplace hazards, and the selection of personal protective equipment when such controls are not feasible.
- Monitor compliance with standards and complete audits of specific measures to comply with the Takeda Programs and all regulatory requirements.
- Provide subject and area specific training to ensure employees are knowledgeable of hazards associated with the workplace.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the application of engineering principles in process hazard analyses (HazOps) and modifications to potentially hazardous processes for effective risk management.
- Support EHS training and inductions for new hires, ongoing refresher training for existing employees and delivering EHS related training programmes to all levels within the organisation.
- Provide health and safety expertise to the Emergency Response Team.
- Environmental: Perform sampling and report writing with supervision. Know and understand the appropriate permit limits.
- Establish/maintain a role of leadership and compliance credibility with Regional and Local authorities. Maintain a network of technical, professional, trade and industry groups, contractors, vendors and consultants to keep abreast of regulations, activities and state of the art solutions for safety/IH issues.
- Provide area representation in cross-functional projects and design groups. Provide mentoring and support to teammates through sharing of knowledge and information. Provide support, without taking over, while challenging continued employee development through delegation and risk taking.
- Maintain the EHS incident management process on site. Manage EHS incidents to closure, including root cause analysis and solutions management. Manage emergency conditions (safety, environment) to standard. Maintain direct communication with Health Services concerning employee accidents, injuries and illnesses related to the work environment. Review all accident and injuries and advises management of the control measures required to prevent reoccurrence. Display proficiency in the implementation of appropriate sampling strategies for exposure evaluation.
- Demonstrates the ability to operate and understands the concepts behind the utilization of Industrial Hygiene equipment.
- Assist in the preparation, review and approval of Job Safety Analysis at the task-based level and coach people to be self-sufficient in risk assessment.
- Coordinate internal EHS auditing and inspection and actively follow up on necessary corrective actions to ensure audit readiness. Participate in internal and external audits/inspections
- Identify and maintain EHS metrics, trending and reporting of same including dashboards.
- Working closely with the EHS Lead and above site support groups on selecting, adopting, implementing and overseeing appropriate programs which will enable the EHS strategy and installing them at Piercetown. Provide hands-on frontline and team support across the site to help realise the benefits of these programs.
- Required to comply with Takeda Global Policies, Procedures and Guidelines, regulatory requirements and execute current Good manufacturing Practices (cGMP) in the performance of day to day activities and all applicable job functions.
- Work collaboratively to drive a safe and compliant culture at Piercetown.
- May be required to perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor's Degree in Environmental, Health and Safety or related field is required. Master’s degree preferred.
- 5 - 10 years of EHS experience in a Pharmaceutical Manufacturing environment.
- Experience leading, training and implementing root cause analysis, effective investigation and solutions practice.
- Experience working in a multinational organization and within other disciplines desired.
Key Skills, Abilities, and Competencies
- Ability to help translate the EHS vision and goals of the company to the site.
- Strong project management skills to support EHS project delivery and EHS operational readiness.
- Strong stakeholder management skills to manage both internal and external stakeholders that support the site.
- A proven ability to lead a collaborative team to identify effective solutions to EHS issues demonstrating an excellent influencing/collaboration skills and teamwork mind-set as well as an ability to coach and mentor teams through complex problems.
- Ability to challenge the status quo with a continuous improvement mind-set.
- Proven ability in using a wide variety of lean tools.
- Change agent who will support the organisation with good change management tools and techniques.
- Effective communicator with a proven ability to engage well with a wide variety of audiences.
- Promoting a culture where diversity and inclusion is part of the way of working.
- Excellent relationship building skills.
- Training and job experience which demonstrates a strong understanding of the following programs: Electrical Safety, Lockout Tagout, Machine Guarding, Confined Space, Working at Height, Hot Work, Mobile Equipment/Vehicles, Lifting Operations, High Risk Contractor & Construction Work, Chemical Management and Industrial Hygiene, Waste Management, Water Management and Emergency Response.
- Must be self-motivated and have a high level of energy, focused on generating results.
- Must display personal accountability for results and demonstrate strong integrity.
- Must have respect for individuals and the diverse contributions of all.
- Must be able to create presentations and conduct training without assistance.
- Demonstrate high potential for continued professional growth within EHS.
Complexity and Problem Solving
- Identifying and communicating EHS risk across the site.
- Creating strategies and plans to manage risk.
Internal and External Contacts
- For safety the individual is accountable to drive a culture of ‘everyone owns safety’ with input from the EHS lead.
- For continuous improvement collaborates with other site peers both within and outside of Takeda and through external forums to drive business excellence in EHS.
- This position has frequent contact with all of the employees at the Piercetown site and is a highly visible role. Also the individual in this role will have a lot of interaction with the Maintenance and Engineering organization. Additionally the person in this position may have to communicate and interface with Government regulatory officials and external auditors.
Notice to Employment / Recruitment Agents:
Employment / Recruitment agents may only submit candidates for vacancies only if they have written authorization to do so from Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda’s Talent Acquisition department. Any agency candidate submission may only be submitted to positions opened to the agency through the specific Agency Portal. Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda will only pay a fee for candidates submitted or presented where there is a fully executed contract in place between the Employment / Recruitment agents and Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda and only if the candidate is submitted via the Agency Portal. Candidates submitted or presented by Employment / Recruitment Agents without a fully executed contract or submitted through this site shall not be deemed to form part of any Engagement for which the Agency may claim remuneration.