Senior Director, Business Development Transactions
Takeda fosters a collaborative and stimulating work environment filled with opportunity and the chance to make a difference in people's lives. It is a workplace driven by integrity, one of Takeda’s long-held values that extends to both the patients we serve and our employees who develop and deliver medicines. Across our company, Takeda employees bring together diverse strengths that together create a stronger whole.
As one of the world’s leading biopharmaceutical companies, Takeda is committed to bringing Better Health and a Brighter future to people worldwide. We aspire to bring our leadership in translating science into life-changing medicines to the next level, in our core focus areas; oncology, gastroenterology, neuroscience, rare diseases, plasma-derived therapies, and vaccines. The Greater Boston Area is headquarters to many of our Global and US business units.
We are a passionate team doing important work that impacts patients’ lives. If you are driven to create better health and a brighter future, join us!
What makes a successful member of our team? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Results Driven
- Team Player
Life at Takeda
A Global Top Employer
Recognized for our culture and way of working, we’re one of only select companies to receive Top Global Employer® status for 2020.
Check Out Takeda’s Cambridge Office
View a panoramic tour of the Cambridge office, study a map of the Takeda campus, and see all the amazing nearby attractions
Research & Development
By focusing R&D efforts on four therapeutic areas and other targeted investments, our aim is to thrive at the cutting edge of innovation that solves unmet medical needs, through internal R&D and in collaboration with cross-industry partners. We have the scale and expertise to be a leading global, Values-based, R&D-driven biopharmaceutical company with dynamic, focused R&D efforts.
Bold initiatives, continuous improvement, and creativity are at the heart of how we bring scientific breakthroughs from the lab to patients.
Since 1781, the values of Takeda-ism (Integrity, Fairness, Honesty, and Perseverance) have guided everything we do—from decision-making to interacting with patients.
Our people-first mission extends beyond patients to include their families, communities, and our own Takeda family.
Through trust and respect, you will have genuine support from leaders, managers, and colleagues to do your best work.
A strong, borderless team, we strive together towards our priorities and inspiring mission.
Recognized for our culture and way of working, we’re one of only 13 companies to receive Top Global Employer® status for 2020.
Senior Director, Business Development TransactionsApply Now
Are you looking for a patient-focused company that will inspire you and support your career? If so, be empowered to take charge of your future at Takeda. Join us a Senior Director, Business Development Transactions in our Cambridge office.
Here, everyone matters and you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission.
- The Center for External Innovation (CEI) Business Development (BD) team is Therapeutic Area (TA) aligned across Oncology (ONC), Neuroscience (NS), Rare Disease (RD), and Gastroenterology (GI) and responsible for all Research and Development-stage BD activities
- This position works primarily with the designated Therapeutic Area Unit (TAU) and Drug Discovery Unit (DDU) to: (i) develop a partnering strategy that supports the TAU/DDU R&D strategies, (ii) identify and triage opportunities consistent with the agreed strategy, (iii) lead cross-functional due diligence teams to efficiently assess opportunities, and (iv) negotiate and execute deals of all types (e.g., in-licensing, research collaborations) across the R&D pipeline. This position is a critical function within this core team
- This position is viewed as the subject matter expert for the designated TA, is a key external facing leader for the BD team, and continuously leads limited duration teams within a matrix environment
- Will serve in an ambassador role working directly with internal and external key opinion leaders and operational leadership within CEI, Global Business Development (GBD), and Takeda R&D including Strategic Academic Alliances (SAA), and Takeda Ventures Inc. (TVI)
- This position is responsible for scouting and continually updating a comprehensive landscape of BD opportunities for their designated TA focus
- Proactively monitor commercial, academic, and IP landscapes for all external discovery and development-stage innovations which may be relevant to the Takeda pipeline
- Build a strong, worldwide outreach program by establishing and maintaining strong working relationships with senior management and BD groups of potential partner companies, key principal investigators and technology transfer groups at research institutions, and the venture capital investment community
- Lead scouting and partnering interactions at key conferences including JP Morgan (JPM) / Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO)
- In close partnership with the designated Business Unit (BU), TAU, and DDU leadership teams and organization at-large (e.g., scientists, clinicians, commercial managers), actively prospect for and help drive research alliances and preclinical and clinical collaborations with external parties (e.g., pharmaceutical or biotech companies, academic or not-for-profit institutions) that will enhance Takeda’s pipeline
- Be the CEI/GBD/Takeda point of contact with the sponsoring TA and the external commercial/academic collaborators
- Lead technical evaluation and due diligence efforts where appropriate
- Prepare and present scientific and business rationale for any recommendations and transaction proposals to senior management for approval
- Identify, evaluate, and transact BD opportunities that meet the strategic scientific, therapeutic, and commercial needs of the organization
- Negotiate on behalf of Takeda in support of in-licensing, out-licensing, co-promotions, research collaborations, etc.
- Support Takeda project teams (discovery, development, and marketing), SAA/TVI, GBD, and regional BD on partnering activities in terms of technical expertise and due diligence
- Effectively bridge breakthrough science and/or transforming technology platform opportunities with all relevant internal stakeholder groups
- Acts as a thought partner to the TAU/DDU Heads and ensures the BD strategy is aligned and supported. This role challenges the Leadership Teams to think innovatively when it comes to partnering with external parties
- Stays current and prepared to share TAU/DDU clinical developments and industry trends to small groups or large audiences of senior leaders, including maintaining a thorough knowledge of:
- Specific TA products, platforms, targets, and therapeutic approaches
- Industry trends and regulatory, legal, and commercial issues
- Takeda's R&D and Commercial processes
- Takeda’s portfolio, including gaps and strengths
- Works with the CEI TA Leads and other key functions outside of BD to help design and implement processes for opportunity assessment and due diligence to ensure competitive superiority
- Articulates Takeda's licensing goals and practices in public forums (e.g., partnering meetings, speaking engagements) and is an effective ambassador for the Takeda global BD brand to ensure Takeda is perceived as a “Partner of Choice”
EDUCATION, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Ph.D., M.D. or equivalent degree is strongly preferred, as is training in a biological (pharmacology /biology/biochemistry) discipline
- At least 10 years experience in complex and global deal negotiations along with a successful track record in sourcing BD opportunities, deal negotiations, and closures in discovery, preclinical, and commercial areas. A comprehensive deal sheet demonstrating a substantial record of executed deals is required.
- Significant experience in the Pharma/Biotech industry and particularly in the designated TA focus, preferably including both preclinical and clinical drug development Deep understanding of drug development, approval, and commercialization processes
- Must demonstrate scientific knowledge and gravitas to hold/drive meaningful scientific discussions with industrial and academic experts and key opinion leaders in the designated TA focus
- A well-established commercial/academic network is strongly preferred along with a progressive knowledge of innovative alliance structures, industry trends, and competitive issues related to pharmaceutical business development
- A well-established business development network within the industry is strongly preferred along with a progressive knowledge of innovative alliance structures, industry trends, and competitive issues related to pharmaceutical BD
- Results-oriented, creative, self-starter with the ability to deliver high-quality deliverables on time that are appropriate for review by senior management
- Strong verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills including a demonstrated ability to be effective in a matrix environment
- Willingness to travel to various meetings or client sites, including overnight trips
- Some international travel may be required
- Requires up to 30% travel
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Takeda is an EEO employer of minorities, women, disabled, protected veterans, and considers qualified applicants with criminal histories in accordance with applicable laws. For more information, visit
Learn more at takedajobs.com.
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.
Job ID R0018359