Head of Research Data and Digital
Cambridge, Massachusetts; San Diego, California
- Job Type Full time
- Job Level Senior
- Travel Minimal
At Takeda, we exist to create better health for people and a brighter future for the world. While we continually evolve science and technology, our ambition remains steadfast — we move science forward so we can transform more lives. The Global Development Office (GDO) maintains a laser focus on Study Management and Site Engagement, Clinical Trial Innovation, Clinical Supply Chain and Patient Safety to ensure absolute quality and enable the predictable delivery of our innovative pipeline.
Through its collaborative process, the GDO team leverages data, digital and analytics to improve speed, quality, performance and predictability within every area of clinical development. We’re building a platform to visualize operational data and enable predictive analytics, while leveraging digital technologies to support clinical supply chain and patient safety. GDO also partners with external organizations and leading academic institutions, such as MIT, to spark innovation in AI and Machine Learning focused on better patient outcomes.
At the heart of GDO are our people: we are committed to building a more diverse, equitable and inclusive culture not only within our own walls and our communities, but also across our clinical trials. It is our passion for people that transforms our work into meaningful action. Come join a team that has earned trust for more than two centuries and advances transformative therapies with honesty, integrity and fairness.
What makes a successful team member within our Global Development Office at Takeda?
- Advance clinical research
- Deliver clinical analytics and study insights using innovative technologies to improve trial accessibility and patient centricity
- Enable end-to-end management of clinical supply
- Ensure safety management and inspection readiness
Where You Fit In
As a member of GDO, you will play an important role in bringing forward our rich pipeline of life-changing products to help patients. You will find enriching engagement and a mindset of continuous improvement through creativity, innovation and diversity.
We are a global organization present in the U.S., Europe and Asia with colleagues located in several additional countries to strategically support our business needs. But our people, and the culture they build, are the foundation that sets GDO apart. Our belief in putting people first extends beyond patients. It includes their families and communities, and also our Takeda colleagues and our families.
Working closely with GDO colleagues and key stakeholders across R&D, you will leverage our new operating model and innovative technologies to accelerate the development of our current and future portfolio to bring medicines to patients faster.
Head of Research Data and DigitalJob ID R0060639 Date posted Feb. 22, 2022 Location Cambridge, Massachusetts
Are you looking for a patient-focused, innovation-driven company that will inspire you and empower you to shine? Join us as a Head of Research Data and Digital in our Cambridge, MA or San Diego, CA office.
At Takeda, we are transforming the pharmaceutical industry through our R&D-driven market leadership and being a values-led company. To do this, we empower our people to realize their potential through life-changing work. Certified as a Global Top Employer, we offer stimulating careers, encourage innovation, and strive for excellence in everything we do. We foster an inclusive, collaborative workplace, in which our global teams are united by an unwavering commitment to deliver Better Health and a Brighter Future to people around the world.
Here, you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission.
With pursuing excellent, innovative science at the forefront of everything we do, we believe that people, processes, and systems are the competitive differentiator to ensure Takeda successfully delivers its medicines to patients. Our focus at Takeda on Data, Digital and Technology looks to transform the way scientists study, discover, and advance drug research. Takeda continually invests in talent, data and digital technologies to enable and empower its scientists. We recognize that data and digital technologies are key assets that require ongoing investment and have the ability to serve as the conduit to successfully deliver science more efficiently, effectively and with high quality results. We strive to employ talent with a similar mindset, approach and attitude that have a desire to be part of an organization that believes and invests in the potential of data and digital within the pharmaceutical industry.
Takeda Research is looking for a leader to lead the creation and implementation of a world class digital experience for scientists with long-term impact to discovery and development of new drugs for patients in need. This role is part of a global organization that works with diverse Takeda teams to drive and deliver Data, Digital and Technology Transformation. This digital leader is charged with creating innovative digital strategies that deliver results. Success in this role is centered on direct collaboration with scientists and technology teams to vision and create proof of concepts, as well as develop and execute a world-class, cutting-edge Data and Digital strategy to enable Takeda to deliver innovative science and first-in-class molecules.
The Head of Research Data and Digital will be responsible for developing a data and digital strategy for Research in collaboration with scientific leaders in Research, Takeda’s Data Sciences Institute, and R&D Technology functions. She/He will lead the implementation of such strategy according to priorities agreed with the Research Senior Leadership Team and R&D Data and Digital Center of Excellence. She/He will:
- Collaborate globally to provide strategic and technical leadership, sponsorship and accountability for the Research data and digital strategy development and implementation. Prioritize and oversee portfolio of digital projects ensuring alignment of activities and standards.
- Lead the development of a Research Data Strategy that considers the data life cycle, accessibility and insights/analytics.
- Oversee the operations of data integration, reporting and analysis of operational and scientific data generated from the Research process.
- Lead the Research effort on data governance in collaboration with the R&D Data Governance and Access Office.
- Engage with industry peers and associations to identify and assess disruptive digital trends, develop thought leadership, and partner with business leaders to incorporate high potential initiatives into the digital transformation roadmap.
- Be a positive disrupter and champion new ways of working to persuade internal and external stakeholders to deliver the best solutions for Takeda Research in a rapidly evolving, complex environment.
- Act as a digital advocate to lead the effort in Research, nurturing and maturing Takeda’s data, digital and technology culture.
- Drives globalization and integration of data across Research for strategic analysis/visualization, accessibility, usability, sharing, storage and archival, in collaboration with R&D Technology partners.
- Develop, maintain and advance a vision and strategy for information/knowledge management within Research and interfacing global functions and divisions.
- Lead global efforts to define critical information needs and use cases and propose iterative solutions to meet business requirements (and ensure support for strategy and data continuity).
- Lead and network with key internal stakeholders to identify unique opportunities to discover and exploit data assets using traditional and non-traditional methods of data synthesis.
- Partner closely with Research scientists and teams to understand their processes to be able to define and articulate the business need.
- Partner with data governance and stewardship teams across the enterprise to ensure a consistent and cohesive data landscape.
- Develop data models in collaboration with the Data Science Institute that accurately depict the drug discovery process and contextualize the data generated.
- Ensure data integrity is prioritized in the design, delivery, and maintenance of all systems.
- Partners with R&D Technology resources to enable appropriate data flow/data model, development using appropriate tools/technology, rapid prototyping and informs the design of analytical products.
- Represent Research on the R&D Data, Digital and Technology Council where strategic and investment decisions for R&D are made.
- Work with a re-use mind-set, both at a R&D and enterprise level.
EDUCATION, BEHAVIORAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s ’s degree required, PhD degree a plus. Degree concentration in a quantitative, analytic or business discipline preferred
- 10+ years experience in the pharmaceutical/biotechnology industry and Research
- 5+ years experience in Technology, Data Science and/or Research operations and practices including experience with research, financial reporting, and/or project management systems and processes
- Proven expertise in data architectures for digital transformation including data mesh, data lake, lakehouse, data warehouse. microservices, and master data management (MDM)
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships across multiple organizations, in a multicultural environment
- Ability to quickly develop and understanding of advanced concepts in emerging data science in order to facilitate communication about the work of the group
- Previous experience in working in a global organization
- Successful cross-functional team leadership experience
- Critical skills are leadership, communication, team building and organizational skills as well as attention to detail, accuracy, initiative and technical skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure and deliver accurate information in a timely manner.
- Ability to demonstrate through leadership and innovation.
- Ability to lead and promote change.
- Ability to think strategically and translate vision into actions.
- Ability to lead and manage teams working business critical business performance projects.
- Excellent analytical and judgment with demonstrated ability to gather and interpret complex information from multiple internal and external sources to enable high level decision making and strategy formation.
- Ability to work with people at all levels and in a global environment, and well developed oral and written communication skills to present complex concepts to a wide audience with varying levels of understanding.
- Agile or iterative product development lifecycle experience
- Strategic thinker able to see big picture and lead others in pursuit of team goals
- Strong storyteller with the ability to connect data insights to business impact
- Engaging and influential leader effective at encouraging collaboration and team building
Location and Salary Information:
- This job posting excludes CO applicants.
Absent an approved religious or medical reason, all US office-based and lab-based Takeda employees who work fully on-site or in a hybrid model (as determined by Takeda) must be fully vaccinated to work at a Takeda site or to engage with Takeda colleagues or anyone else on behalf of Takeda. US field-based employees must be fully vaccinated as a condition of employment, absent an approved religious or medical reason. US employees who work at a Takeda manufacturing facility, and those who work at a BioLife center or BioLife lab, may be subject to different guidelines. If you are contacted by a Takeda recruiter about your job application, we encourage you to seek more information on the applicable guidelines for the Business Unit/Function to which you have applied.
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Discover more at takedajobs.com
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.
Takeda is proud in its commitment to creating a diverse workforce and providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, parental status, national origin, age, disability, citizenship status, genetic information or characteristics, marital status, status as a Vietnam era veteran, special disabled veteran, or other protected veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws, and any other characteristic protected by law.
LocationsUSA - MA - CambridgeSan Diego, CA
Time TypeFull time
Our internal research capabilities and external partnerships contribute to an R&D engine that has produced exciting new molecular entities (NMEs) across our core Therapeutic Areas. Check out our pipeline and see how we’ll continue delivering a steady stream of next-generation therapies.Learn More
What We Believe In
Our values of Takeda-ism are Integrity, Fairness, Honesty and Perseverance, with Integrity as the core. These are brought to life through actions based on Patient, Trust, Reputation and Business, in that order.
Our belief in putting people first extends beyond our patients — it includes their families and communities, as well as our Takeda colleagues and their families.
We are committed to embracing our differences, valuing different perspectives, and fostering a culture of respect, inclusiveness and empowerment.
Our embedded Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DE&I) strategy enables us to attract and retain exceptional talent, drives innovation, and helps address systemic inequalities in our communities.
Working at Takeda
Here, you will feel welcomed, respected, and valued as a vital contributor to our global team.
A strong, borderless team, we strive together towards our priorities and inspiring mission.
Bold initiatives, continuous improvement, and creativity are at the heart of how we bring scientific breakthroughs from the lab to patients.
Recognized for our culture and way of working, we’re one of only 11 companies to receive Top Global Employer® status for 2022.
Our people-first mission extends beyond patients to include their families, communities, and our own Takeda family.
Through trust and respect, you will have genuine support from leaders, managers, and colleagues to do your best work.
View All Global Development Operations JobsSearch
Senior Manager, Clinical Data Management - REMOTE
Boston, Massachusetts , Remote Apply for Senior Manager, Clinical Data Management - REMOTE
Lead Clinical Trial Associate (Remote)
Boston, Massachusetts , Remote Apply for Lead Clinical Trial Associate (Remote)
Scientific Director, Pharmaceutical Sciences Program Leadership
Boston, Massachusetts Apply for Scientific Director, Pharmaceutical Sciences Program Leadership
We Take Action by Focusing on Our Four Priorities
- Create an exceptional people experience
- Responsibly translate science into highly innovative, life-changing medicines and vaccines
- Protect our planet
- Unleash the power of data and digital