Head of Gene Therapy Technologies
Takeda fosters a collaborative and stimulating work environment filled with opportunity and the chance to make a difference in people's lives. It is a workplace driven by integrity, one of Takeda’s long-held values that extends to both the patients we serve and our employees who develop and deliver medicines. Across our company, Takeda employees bring together diverse strengths that together create a stronger whole.
As one of the world’s leading biopharmaceutical companies, Takeda is committed to bringing Better Health and a Brighter future to people worldwide. We aspire to bring our leadership in translating science into life-changing medicines to the next level, in our core focus areas; oncology, gastroenterology, neuroscience, rare diseases, plasma-derived therapies, and vaccines. The Greater Boston Area is headquarters to many of our Global and US business units.
We are a passionate team doing important work that impacts patients’ lives. If you are driven to create better health and a brighter future, join us!
What makes a successful member of our team? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Results Driven
- Team Player
Life at Takeda
A Global Top Employer
Recognized for our culture and way of working, we’re one of only select companies to receive Top Global Employer® status for 2020.
Check Out Takeda’s Cambridge Office
View a panoramic tour of the Cambridge office, study a map of the Takeda campus, and see all the amazing nearby attractions
Research & Development
By focusing R&D efforts on four therapeutic areas and other targeted investments, our aim is to thrive at the cutting edge of innovation that solves unmet medical needs, through internal R&D and in collaboration with cross-industry partners. We have the scale and expertise to be a leading global, Values-based, R&D-driven biopharmaceutical company with dynamic, focused R&D efforts.
Bold initiatives, continuous improvement, and creativity are at the heart of how we bring scientific breakthroughs from the lab to patients.
Since 1781, the values of Takeda-ism (Integrity, Fairness, Honesty, and Perseverance) have guided everything we do—from decision-making to interacting with patients.
Our people-first mission extends beyond patients to include their families, communities, and our own Takeda family.
Through trust and respect, you will have genuine support from leaders, managers, and colleagues to do your best work.
A strong, borderless team, we strive together towards our priorities and inspiring mission.
Recognized for our culture and way of working, we’re one of only 13 companies to receive Top Global Employer® status for 2020.
Head of Gene Therapy TechnologiesApply Now
Are you looking for a patient-focused company that enables transformative technologies to address patients’ needs while inspiring you and support your career? Takeda is a world-class organization where we combine our expertise in disease biology, modality technologies and drug development experience to develop gene therapies in a holistic approach. We are seeking a highly motivated leader with substantial experience in vector design and gene therapy drug development experience to join Takeda to advance our gene therapy research effort. Be empowered and join us as a Head of Analytical & Bioassays in the Global Gene Therapy Research Team.
As one of the leaders of the Global Gene Therapy (GGT) Research Team, the Head of Gene Therapy Technologies will be responsible and accountable for leading a team of technology leads that contributes to discovery research and technology gene therapy (GT) projects. The incumbent will lead the team to continue to establish collaborations across multiple line functions to progress GT projects in a highly matrixed manner.
- Provide leadership to a team to conduct new technologies and external collaboration projects. Responsible and accountable for appropriate decision making, data interpretations of the results of studies conducted by self and team members.
- Represent the Gene Therapy Technology team as the GGT LT member. Ensure cross team collaboration within GGT to obtain required resources to enable efficient progression of GT projects.
- Enable team members to cross collaborate within the GGT team, multiple Discovery Disease Units (DDUs), global research platforms and other departments.
- Constantly oversees project progression, experimental prioritization and communicate effectively to GGT LT in a timely manner.
- Ability to balance multiple projects under a demanding timeline while providing guidance to a team of scientists.
- Evaluation of business development opportunities to support the GGT and R&D portfolio and strategy across multiple therapeutic areas by conducting due diligence evaluations and propose and negotiation of research plans.
- Serves as the subject matter expert to critically assess external Gene therapy therapeutic assets and enabling technologies and provide comprehensive evaluation from technical, business and strategic perspectives.
- Provides strategic input on how to combine multiple sources of external collaboration technologies to advance capabilities of GGT in contributing to generating competitive and differentiating gene therapy products.
- Responsible for input into decisions related to external studies, assessing the technical feasibility, contribute to experimental designs that would yield meaningful outcome that would allow the making of data-driven go/no-go recommendation.
- Collaborate closely with other GGT functions and identify resources required to enable and/or enhance the execution of the external collaboration projects.
- Generation of budget and timeline proposals in conjunction with internal and/or external teams.
- Knowledgeable in competitive landscape of the same and similar targets in our portfolio.
- Accountable for the development of organizational culture and capabilities. Ability to balance multiple projects under a demanding timeline while providing guidance to a team of scientists.
- Responsible for management of resourcing and budget planning for his/her area of focus.
- Demonstrate good organizational and communication skills. Expected to be accountable for effectiveness and timelines of completion of project goals.
- Follow compliance of documentation in electronic lab notebook and author scientific reports that supports internal documentation and regulatory submissions.
DIMENSIONS AND ASPECTS:
Technical/Functional (Line) Expertise
- Outstanding expertise and depth of knowledge within a scientific area
- Keeps up with the up-to-date scientific advancement (e.g. competitive landscape, new technology, new research portfolio, and new partnership)
- Scientific leadership role, setting high standards for effectiveness of execution, and rigor of thought
- Has significant managerial responsibility
- Initiates and leads external interactions and collaborations
- Frequent contact with internal and external personnel at various management levels
- Determines methods on new assignments; makes strategic recommendations on projects
EDUCATION, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- PHD degree in a scientific discipline with 12+ years of research experience, including 7 years of industry experience required. Prior managerial experience is also required.
- Contribute to and innovate in the quickly evolving field of gene therapy.
- Previous experience successfully leading an external collaboration (academic and/or industry) involving design of study plan, oversees execution and frequent evaluation of results to provide decision recommendations. Demonstration of successful go/no-go decision in asset and technologies in-licensing would be a plus.
- Understanding of compliance and work with external collaborators with a mindset of documentation requirement needed for further utilization of data in future regulatory filing. Prior experience in leading and/or involvement in successful technology and data transfer from external partner to internalize project is a plus.
- Diplomacy and positive influencing abilities with excellent communication skills are essential for this role.
- Attend relevant scientific conferences and stay on top of literature publication to stay current in relevant research.
- Ability to conduct business travel (15-20%), including overnight trips. Some international travel may be required.
- As a global organization, availability to participate in early or late meetings/teleconferences.
Notice to Employment / Recruitment Agents:
Employment / Recruitment agents may only submit candidates for vacancies only if they have written authorization to do so from Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda’s Talent Acquisition department. Any agency candidate submission may only be submitted to positions opened to the agency through the specific Agency Portal. Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda will only pay a fee for candidates submitted or presented where there is a fully executed contract in place between the Employment / Recruitment agents and Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda and only if the candidate is submitted via the Agency Portal. Candidates submitted or presented by Employment / Recruitment Agents without a fully executed contract or submitted through this site shall not be deemed to form part of any Engagement for which the Agency may claim remuneration.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda, is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce. Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda, will not discriminate against any worker or job applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy, gender reassignment, non-job related mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, military service, application for military service, or membership in any other category protected under law.
EEO is the Law - https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf
EEO is the Law – Supplement - https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/OFCCP_EEO_Supplement_Final_JRF_QA_508c.pdf
Pay Transparency Policy - https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_formattedESQA508c.pdf
Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda, is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please call 484-595-8400 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
Job ID SR0044209