Takeda fosters a collaborative and stimulating work environment filled with opportunity and the chance to make a difference in people's lives. It is a workplace driven by integrity, one of Takeda’s long-held values that extends to both the patients we serve and our employees who develop and deliver medicines. Across our company, Takeda employees bring together diverse strengths that together create a stronger whole.
As one of the world’s leading biopharmaceutical companies, Takeda is committed to bringing Better Health and a Brighter future to people worldwide. We aspire to bring our leadership in translating science into life-changing medicines to the next level, in our core focus areas; oncology, gastroenterology, neuroscience, rare diseases, plasma-derived therapies, and vaccines. The Greater Boston Area is headquarters to many of our Global and US business units.
We are a passionate team doing important work that impacts patients’ lives. If you are driven to create better health and a brighter future, join us!
What makes a successful member of our team? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Results Driven
- Team Player
Life at Takeda
A Global Top Employer
Recognized for our culture and way of working, we’re one of only select companies to receive Top Global Employer® status for 2019.
Check Out Takeda’s Cambridge Office
View a panoramic tour of the Cambridge office, study a map of the Takeda campus, and see all the amazing nearby attractions
Research & Development
By focusing R&D efforts on four therapeutic areas and other targeted investments, our aim is to thrive at the cutting edge of innovation that solves unmet medical needs, through internal R&D and in collaboration with cross-industry partners. We have the scale and expertise to be a leading global, Values-based, R&D-driven biopharmaceutical company with dynamic, focused R&D efforts.
Bold initiatives, continuous improvement, and creativity are at the heart of how we bring scientific breakthroughs from the lab to patients.
Since 1781, the values of Takeda-ism (Integrity, Fairness, Honesty, and Perseverance) have guided everything we do—from decision-making to interacting with patients.
Our people-first mission extends beyond patients to include their families, communities, and our own Takeda family.
Through trust and respect, you will have genuine support from leaders, managers, and colleagues to do your best work.
A strong, borderless team, we strive together towards our priorities and inspiring mission.
Recognized for our culture and way of working, we’re one of only 13 companies to receive Top Global Employer® status for 2018.
Epidemiology LeaderApply Now
The Director, Epidemiology is a high-level, strategic and scientific role that involves developing, coordinating, and executing cutting-edge, effective, and impactful epidemiology research for product support at a global level, from early development through life cycle management. The Director, Epidemiology provides essential specialist guidance and direction to project teams, senior leaders, and other colleagues to ensure optimal management of high-impact cross-functional project opportunities and risks, to ensure scientific quality and timely, cost-effective project delivery while adhering to ethical requirements and responding to business needs. The incumbent must be highly innovative, proactive and collaborative with mature team-working behaviors. As a member of the Outcomes Research and Epidemiology (ORE) department, an epidemiologist at Shire must have a broad view of the role of epidemiology and Pharmacoepidemiology in product support, contributing across target identification, through drug development, value demonstrations, market access, and post-approval effectiveness and safety. Epidemiologists interact with a wide range of internal and external customers to ensure appropriate communication of epidemiological issues and study results to stakeholders, including providing epidemiological support for interactions with regulatory authorities.
Describe the essential daily job functions and include % of time spent on each.
% of Time
Job Function and Description
Develop product epidemiology strategy for drug development, pharmacovigilance, and commercial purposes across the product life cycle
Propose, design, initiate, conduct, manage, report, and present epidemiologic studies, following through on all review stakeholder management, and compliance processes
Critical appraisal and synthesis of relevant epidemiological literature, including to support exploration of new disease areas
Contribute appraisal and synthesis of relevant epidemiological literature, including the support exploration of new disease areas
Pharmacovigilance support, including risk management; PASS development and delivery; contributions to RMPs, PSURs, and regulatory responses; understanding inherent risks associated with a given product’s indication; providing population-level context for safety; understanding and responding to potential safety issues
Maintain awareness of regulatory requirements, payer trends, external pharmacoepidemiologic initiatives, and advances in pharmacoepidemiologic methodology; support strategic development of the Epidemiology function within Shire; remain current on the capabilities of key external research partners.
Education and Experience Requirements
Include educational requirements or equivalency, required years and type(s) or experience, and
necessary licenses or certificates. Specify which are required and which are preferred. For UK,
please do not use years of experience due to UK Legislation
- PH.D. in epidemiology or a related field, or a Master’s degree in epidemiology, and a least 10 years preferred experience in life science related field is preferred
- Sustained productivity in epidemiological research, as manifest by successful design, execution, and publications of epidemiological research, including through extensive collaboration with external investigators, as well as recognition by the external scientific communities as an expert in areas relevant to drug development, pharmacovigilance, and commercialization, from early development through life cycle management
- Preferred: experience with epidemiology of orphan drugs, comparative effectiveness research, personalized medicine, direct interaction with regulatory authorities, patient risk management program evaluation, business development due diligence
Key Skills, Abilities, and Competencies
Describe critical skill and abilities needed to successfully perform the job, which should be
representative of the knowledge, skills, and abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Thorough knowledge of epidemiological methodology and its applications to the pharmaceutical industry at an international level
- Comprehensive knowledge of drug development and life cycle management, as well as business strategy, drug commercialization, pharmacovigilance, and patient risk management
- Ability to proactively identify opportunities and anticipate needs for programs supported
- Thorough familiarity with relevant regional and international regulatory requirements
- High degree of initiative, proactivity, flexibility, and ability to work independently in a face-paced environment
- Proven team-working, leadership, follow-through, stakeholder management, organizational awareness, and project management skills, within a complex, multi-disciplinary, team-based environment
- Ability to respond to changes in the internal and external environments by adjusting plans or developing new ways of working
- Superb written and oral communication and influencing skills, and cultural sensitivity
- Ability to effectively engage with a wide variety technical and business experts
- Expert knowledge of large databases relevant to epidemiologic research in the US and internationally
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and simultaneously manage multiple competing task and demands, delivering to timelines with high scientific quality, while being both strategic and detailed
Complexity and Problem Solving
Describe the decisions made by the incumbents on a regular basis. Include decisions within the
Incumbent’s authority to make as well as those decisions that must be referred to a higher level.
- Ability to make complex judgments, develop innovative solutions, and apply comprehensive cross-functional and industry understanding to individual projects and programs
- Insight on when and how to access and effectively engage and consult external resources and scientific experts
- Effectively represent the Company to external stakeholders, including regulatory authorities and key scientific opinion leaders
- Consider and communicate global, local, and future implications of strategic and project decisions, simultaneously meeting scientific and business objectives
- Ensure scientific quality and timely, cost-effective project delivery while adhering to ethical requirements and responding to business needs
Internal and External Contacts
List contacts this job advises, consults, or coordinates with on a regular basis. Describe to whom the
job is accountable. Indicate each Contact category (Internal, Vendor, Customer, or Other) and
- Internal and external contacts are US-based as well as International
- Internal: Outcomes Research, pharmacovigilance, risk management, regulatory affairs, clinical development, medical affairs, biostatistics, clinical operations, market research, forecasting, external communications, project management, market access, pricing & reimbursement, business insight, commercial operations
- External: regulatory authorities, epidemiology and clinical key opinion leaders, epidemiology and clinical investigators, data vendors, CROs
Other Job Requirements
List any other job requirements, including travel, physical abilities required, etc.
Domestic and international travel required. Must have a global mindset. Fluency in main European languages would be desirable.
Notice to Employment / Recruitment Agents:
Employment / Recruitment agents may only submit candidates for vacancies only if they have written authorization to do so from Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda’s Talent Acquisition department. Any agency candidate submission may only be submitted to positions opened to the agency through the specific Agency Portal. Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda will only pay a fee for candidates submitted or presented where there is a fully executed contract in place between the Employment / Recruitment agents and Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda and only if the candidate is submitted via the Agency Portal. Candidates submitted or presented by Employment / Recruitment Agents without a fully executed contract or submitted through this site shall not be deemed to form part of any Engagement for which the Agency may claim remuneration.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda, is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce. Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda, will not discriminate against any worker or job applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy, gender reassignment, non-job related mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, military service, application for military service, or membership in any other category protected under law.
EEO is the Law - https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf
EEO is the Law – Supplement - https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/OFCCP_EEO_Supplement_Final_JRF_QA_508c.pdf
Pay Transparency Policy - https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_formattedESQA508c.pdf
Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda, is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please call 484-595-8400 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
Job ID SR0041987