Data Science Lead – Global Medical Affairs
Takeda fosters a collaborative and stimulating work environment filled with opportunity and the chance to make a difference in people's lives. It is a workplace driven by integrity, one of Takeda’s long-held values that extends to both the patients we serve and our employees who develop and deliver medicines. Across our company, Takeda employees bring together diverse strengths that together create a stronger whole.
As one of the world’s leading biopharmaceutical companies, Takeda is committed to bringing Better Health and a Brighter future to people worldwide. We aspire to bring our leadership in translating science into life-changing medicines to the next level, in our core focus areas; oncology, gastroenterology, neuroscience, rare diseases, plasma-derived therapies, and vaccines. The Greater Boston Area is headquarters to many of our Global and US business units.
We are a passionate team doing important work that impacts patients’ lives. If you are driven to create better health and a brighter future, join us!
What makes a successful member of our team? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Results Driven
- Team Player
Life at Takeda
A Global Top Employer
Recognized for our culture and way of working, we’re one of only select companies to receive Top Global Employer® status for 2020.
Check Out Takeda’s Cambridge Office
View a panoramic tour of the Cambridge office, study a map of the Takeda campus, and see all the amazing nearby attractions
Research & Development
By focusing R&D efforts on four therapeutic areas and other targeted investments, our aim is to thrive at the cutting edge of innovation that solves unmet medical needs, through internal R&D and in collaboration with cross-industry partners. We have the scale and expertise to be a leading global, Values-based, R&D-driven biopharmaceutical company with dynamic, focused R&D efforts.
Bold initiatives, continuous improvement, and creativity are at the heart of how we bring scientific breakthroughs from the lab to patients.
Since 1781, the values of Takeda-ism (Integrity, Fairness, Honesty, and Perseverance) have guided everything we do—from decision-making to interacting with patients.
Our people-first mission extends beyond patients to include their families, communities, and our own Takeda family.
Through trust and respect, you will have genuine support from leaders, managers, and colleagues to do your best work.
A strong, borderless team, we strive together towards our priorities and inspiring mission.
Recognized for our culture and way of working, we’re one of only 13 companies to receive Top Global Employer® status for 2020.
Data Science Lead – Global Medical AffairsApply Now
The Data Science Lead is an exciting new opportunity that will enable Takeda’s Global Medical Affairs department (GMA) to operate as a data-driven organization relying on data science to solve business challenges, improve decision making and generate scientific insights. The Lead will define, deliver and govern a data science roadmap for the Global Medical Affairs department and execute processes for analytics definition, delivery and distribution, in collaboration with relevant GMA functions.
Define, deliver and maintain advanced Analytics capabilities to support decision-making and insights generation in Global Medical Affairs department (GMA).
- Build a strong and thorough understanding of GMA goals, functions, challenges and key analytical needs
- Work with relevant stakeholders to define relevant analytics initiatives with a clear business objective, scope and tangible outcomes
- Recommend approach, methodology, models and outputs
- Ensure alignment of relevant functional and technical resources to deliver expected analytical capabilities
- Deliver directly or with the help of vendors or IT these capabilities, evaluate them and refine them as needed
- Guide your customers through the interpretation of analytical outputs, collect feedback and recommend improvements
Example of analytical capabilities:
- Descriptive analytics in the form of KPIs and metrics delivered via dashboards and reports
- Predictive analytics in the form of models designed to support decision-making
- NLP outputs enabling the detection of relevant insights from unstructured data sources
- Other advanced analytics capabilities relevant to GMA needs (to be determined in collaboration with relevant GMA groups)
In summary you will be able to determine and apply the right Analytics and Data Science approach to solve business problems or create new internal or external facing services based on data.
Collaborate with vendors, our IT partners and the Takeda’s Data Science Institute to ensure appropriate tools and data models are available to the GMA Business Solutions team.
Guide the Data Science strategy of the GMA department and educate your colleagues on the benefits, applications and current limitations of Data Science.
Monitor technology advancements, software vendors offering and best practices to recommend relevant data science solutions. Identify relevant vendors who can support our initiatives, evaluate their offering, manage the vendor selection process and manage vendors once selected.
Collaborate with other GMA Solutions & Analytics team members to identify and execute cross-functional projects supporting GMA’s objectives.
Technical/Functional (Line) Expertise
Strong experience in the field of data science:
- Methodology for translating a business problem into a data science project
- Ability to design and refine analytical models
- Tools and languages – examples: SQL, R, Python, data visualization tools (e.g Qlik, Tableau), SPSS, SAS
- Initial hands on experience in Machine Learning area
- Comfortable with general statistics concepts
Previous experience in analytics / data science applied to biopharmaceutical field.
Ability to translate business challenges or questions into analytical approaches, in order to deliver responses using analytics. Ability to translate these analytical needs for technical resources.
Ability to evaluate specialized vendors and to manage them.
- Define a vision around Medical Affairs data science that would distinguish Takeda from its competitors and demonstrate our ability to innovate in this field.
- Drive the definition and execution of an analytics roadmap by proactively identifying opportunities for new solutions, enhancements to existing capabilities, any type of initiative that enables decision-making or insights generation.
- Be able to enroll other team members, stakeholders from other functions/regions around your vision and incorporate feedback, to deliver compelling business cases supporting your vision.
Decision-making and Autonomy
- Expected to define a vision and roadmap, and recommend options, solutions, process improvements and analytics in complete autonomy.
- Ability to seek diverse input from multiple constituents and stakeholders to drive innovative solutions.
- Ability to incorporate feedback and ensure decisions are made swiftly to yield flawless execution.
- Contribute to vendors evaluation and selection. Manage these vendors once onboarded.
- Ability to work autonomously and seek guidance/help when appropriate.
- Franchise Medical teams (i.e therapeutic area teams), Medical Functions teams (i.e operational teams), Regional Medical Affairs partners: collaborate to define, execute and refine data science initiatives.
- IT and External Partners / Vendors: articulate requirements, monitor quality of service, request visibility on project progress/roadmap, collaborate on identifying solutions, evaluate deliverables.
- GMA Solutions & Analytics peers: collaborate on cross-functional projects, cross-training, exchange of best practices and methodologies.
- Other Medical Functions colleagues: collaborate on relevant initiatives or seek their input for activities requiring their involvement.
- Continuous learning around relevant business practices and technologies to identify opportunities for innovation in the area that you support.
- Develop concepts for innovative solutions, design and execute pilots.
- Monitoring of Data Science trends and capabilities to identify potential applicability to the area that you support.
- Recommend best practices or innovative ideas to improve your team’s operating model, projects execution, collaboration with other stakeholder.
- Global role interacting with colleagues from multiple regions, with various business or technical backgrounds and expertise.
- Interactions with other functions outside of Global Medical Affairs (IT, Compliance, Commercial, Clinical…) to address cross-functional needs.
- Collaboration with other Data Science teams within Takeda, external partners and specialized vendors.
- Vendor selection and management.
- Scope of solutions and analytics delivered would include all Medical Franchises.
- Potentially various types of technologies and methodologies involved.
EDUCATION, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Data science / analytics experience: Degree in related field (Computer Science, Statistics, Bioinformatics), 5+ years experience in descriptive analytics, initial experience in advanced data science / Machine Learning
- Analytical skills (problem solving, business process analysis, process mapping)
- Project management skills
- Patience, diplomacy and listening skills
- Experience working on global initiatives with colleagues of diverse cultures and expertise
- Curiosity and constant willingness to learn and grow in new areas of expertise
- Written and oral communication skills (frequent presentations, interactions with all levels of hierarchy, with various geographical areas)
Notice to Employment / Recruitment Agents:
Employment / Recruitment agents may only submit candidates for vacancies only if they have written authorization to do so from Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda’s Talent Acquisition department. Any agency candidate submission may only be submitted to positions opened to the agency through the specific Agency Portal. Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda will only pay a fee for candidates submitted or presented where there is a fully executed contract in place between the Employment / Recruitment agents and Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda and only if the candidate is submitted via the Agency Portal. Candidates submitted or presented by Employment / Recruitment Agents without a fully executed contract or submitted through this site shall not be deemed to form part of any Engagement for which the Agency may claim remuneration.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda, is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce. Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda, will not discriminate against any worker or job applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy, gender reassignment, non-job related mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, military service, application for military service, or membership in any other category protected under law.
EEO is the Law - https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf
EEO is the Law – Supplement - https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/OFCCP_EEO_Supplement_Final_JRF_QA_508c.pdf
Pay Transparency Policy - https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_formattedESQA508c.pdf
Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda, is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please call 484-595-8400 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
Job ID SR0045008