Staff Engineer, Cell Culture Process Development
Takeda fosters a collaborative and stimulating work environment filled with opportunity and the chance to make a difference in people's lives. It is a workplace driven by integrity, one of Takeda’s long-held values that extends to both the patients we serve and our employees who develop and deliver medicines. Across our company, Takeda employees bring together diverse strengths that together create a stronger whole.
As one of the world’s leading biopharmaceutical companies, Takeda is committed to bringing Better Health and a Brighter future to people worldwide. We aspire to bring our leadership in translating science into life-changing medicines to the next level, in our core focus areas; oncology, gastroenterology, neuroscience, rare diseases, plasma-derived therapies, and vaccines. The Greater Boston Area is headquarters to many of our Global and US business units.
We are a passionate team doing important work that impacts patients’ lives. If you are driven to create better health and a brighter future, join us!
What makes a successful member of our team? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Results Driven
- Team Player
Life at Takeda
A Global Top Employer
Recognized for our culture and way of working, we’re one of only select companies to receive Top Global Employer® status for 2020.
Check Out Takeda’s Cambridge Office
View a panoramic tour of the Cambridge office, study a map of the Takeda campus, and see all the amazing nearby attractions
Research & Development
By focusing R&D efforts on four therapeutic areas and other targeted investments, our aim is to thrive at the cutting edge of innovation that solves unmet medical needs, through internal R&D and in collaboration with cross-industry partners. We have the scale and expertise to be a leading global, Values-based, R&D-driven biopharmaceutical company with dynamic, focused R&D efforts.
Bold initiatives, continuous improvement, and creativity are at the heart of how we bring scientific breakthroughs from the lab to patients.
Since 1781, the values of Takeda-ism (Integrity, Fairness, Honesty, and Perseverance) have guided everything we do—from decision-making to interacting with patients.
Our people-first mission extends beyond patients to include their families, communities, and our own Takeda family.
Through trust and respect, you will have genuine support from leaders, managers, and colleagues to do your best work.
A strong, borderless team, we strive together towards our priorities and inspiring mission.
Recognized for our culture and way of working, we’re one of only 13 companies to receive Top Global Employer® status for 2020.
Staff Engineer, Cell Culture Process DevelopmentApply Now
The cell culture process development team is seeking an experienced scientist to contribute to the development and characterization of cell culture processes used in the production of protein therapies.
This position will participate in process transfer to internal and external manufacturing facilities and support manufacturing activities as needed. This position is expected to independently plan and execute studies and provide technical leadership to project teams, outside partners and contract organizations.
- Responsible for executing cell culture development experiments in order to develop robust cell culture processes for the production of investigational and ultimately commercial products.
- Responsible for execution of laboratory experimentation using bench top bioreactors, small scale expansion systems and high throughput systems. Activities include optimizing process controlling strategies, process characterization and evaluating overall process robustness.
- Responsible for data analysis and communication of results within presentations and formal process development reports. Manages all activities associated with execution of experimentation and will participate in a team to design experiments and discuss results.
- May be responsible for supporting global CMC team activities though acting as technical representative as well as providing input to CMC team activities and decisions.
- Responsible for interacting with both internal and external manufacturing sites and supporting cell culture specific activities, such as technical transfer and process oversight.
DIMENSIONS AND ASPECTS
Technical/Functional (Line) Expertise
- Biologics - Cell Culture Process Development
- Experience with mammalian-based fed batch culture processes and operation of laboratory scale stirred tank bioreactors
- Experience in statistical methodologies, such as Design of Experiments (DOE), to promote process modeling for application towards the development, characterization and robustness of a process.
- Familiarity with large scale manufacturing, technical transfer activities and working within quality systems is preferable.
- Late stage process development experience, such as process characterization, is preferable.
- Demonstrated ability to work across functions, regions and cultures
- Enterprise level leadership with the ability to inspire, motivate and drive results
- Excellent communicator, able to persuasively convey both ideas and data, verbally and in writing
- Proven skills as an effective team player who can engender credibility and confidence within and outside the company
- Ability to distil complex issues and ideas down to simple comprehensible terms
- Executive leadership presence and confidence
- Embraces and demonstrates a diversity and inclusion mindset and role models these behaviors for the organization
- Ability to develop and drive a Global Workforce and Talent strategy for all XXX colleagues in the Global, Regional and Local organizations
Decision-making and Autonomy
- Broad decision-making responsibilities:
- Ability to make highly complex decisions that impact the enterprise
- Accountable for decision making for Cell Therapy
- Ability to seek diverse input from multiple constituents and stakeholders to drive innovative solutions
- Ability to incorporate feedback and ensure decisions are made swiftly to yield flawless execution
- Accountable for designing and implementing vision and strategy for designated scope
- Effectively navigates the changing external and internal environment and leads others through change by creating and inspiring and engaging workplace
- Ability to effectively implement R&D’s partnership strategy
- Effectively represent Takeda in High-level negotiations with the ability to resolve conflict in a constructive manner
- Ability to build strong partnerships and drive role clarity with other interfacing Takeda functions
- Visionary and forward thinking with the ability to influence and effectively drive organizational change and continuous innovation
- Comfortable challenging the status quo and bringing forward innovative solutions
- Ability to take risks implementing innovative solutions, accelerating time to market
- Ability to work in a global ecosystem (internal and external) with a high degree of complexity
- Breadth of knowledge required across therapeutic areas, indications, and/or modalities
EDUCATION, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s degree in chemistry, biology, pharmacy, engineering or related pharmaceutical science and 8+ years relevant industry experience
- Master’s degree in chemistry, biology, pharmacy, engineering or related pharmaceutical science; 6+ years relevant industry experience
- PhD in chemistry, biology, pharmacy, engineering or related pharmaceutical science; 0+ yearsrelevant industry experience
- Bachelors or Masters: Extensive experience in CMC pharmaceutical development for active pharmaceutical ingredients and drug products under cGMP’s
- Sound knowledge of current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP)
- Previous experience with the use of contract facilities
- Experience in working in a multi-disciplinary team environment
- PhD: Demonstrated mastery of subject or area related to field\
- Analytical and Problem Solving Skills - Able to troubleshoot critical issues or problems, and determine causes and possible solutions
- Teamwork -- Ability to work well in highly cross functional team environment and across global line functions.
- Communication Skills -Able to expresses one’s self clearly and concisely within team; documents issues and/or concerns concisely with colleagues; adjusts communication style as appropriate for the audience; timely and effectively communicates issues to supervisor; technical writing skills to support authorship of internal technical documents
- Organization – Exercises good time management and prioritization skills and is able to successfully manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Knowledge Sharing - Ability to capture organizational knowledge; improve solutions, processes, and deliverables through use of information; improve information capital by contributing experience, theories, deliverables, and models for others to use
- Resource Management -Ability to manage one’s time within individual, departmental, and corporate goals and timelines; management of internal and external resources (vendors)
- External Involvement – Demonstrated involvement in professional community evidenced by presentation of scientific posters or lectures at professional conferences or events
- Technical - Subject matter expertise and knowledge of applicable lab equipment and operations
- May require approximately 5-10% travel
Job ID R0023116