Sr Principal Data Scientist
Takeda fosters a collaborative and stimulating work environment filled with opportunity and the chance to make a difference in people's lives. It is a workplace driven by integrity, one of Takeda’s long-held values that extends to both the patients we serve and our employees who develop and deliver medicines. Across our company, Takeda employees bring together diverse strengths that together create a stronger whole.
As one of the world’s leading biopharmaceutical companies, Takeda is committed to bringing Better Health and a Brighter future to people worldwide. We aspire to bring our leadership in translating science into life-changing medicines to the next level, in our core focus areas; oncology, gastroenterology, neuroscience, rare diseases, plasma-derived therapies, and vaccines. The Greater Boston Area is headquarters to many of our Global and US business units.
We are a passionate team doing important work that impacts patients’ lives. If you are driven to create better health and a brighter future, join us!
What makes a successful member of our team? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Results Driven
- Team Player
Life at Takeda
A Global Top Employer
Recognized for our culture and way of working, we’re one of only select companies to receive Top Global Employer® status for 2020.
Check Out Takeda’s Cambridge Office
View a panoramic tour of the Cambridge office, study a map of the Takeda campus, and see all the amazing nearby attractions
Research & Development
By focusing R&D efforts on four therapeutic areas and other targeted investments, our aim is to thrive at the cutting edge of innovation that solves unmet medical needs, through internal R&D and in collaboration with cross-industry partners. We have the scale and expertise to be a leading global, Values-based, R&D-driven biopharmaceutical company with dynamic, focused R&D efforts.
Bold initiatives, continuous improvement, and creativity are at the heart of how we bring scientific breakthroughs from the lab to patients.
Since 1781, the values of Takeda-ism (Integrity, Fairness, Honesty, and Perseverance) have guided everything we do—from decision-making to interacting with patients.
Our people-first mission extends beyond patients to include their families, communities, and our own Takeda family.
Through trust and respect, you will have genuine support from leaders, managers, and colleagues to do your best work.
A strong, borderless team, we strive together towards our priorities and inspiring mission.
Recognized for our culture and way of working, we’re one of only 13 companies to receive Top Global Employer® status for 2020.
Sr Principal Data ScientistApply Now
The purpose of this position is to provide data science expertise in the following areas:
- Understanding and effectively working with a wide variety of data sources, such as wearable device data (for example accelerometry and ECG), voice recordings, imaging data, electronic health records or social media postings. Gleaning insights from these datasets and accurately assessing their usefulness and limitations.
- Applying a breadth of data science methodogies as needed for various projects and data types. Projects will require advanced analytical and statistical methods, such as statistical inference and modern methods for machine learning and AI.
- Identifying and applying state-of-the-art data manipulation and analysis tools, in various programming languages, to develop bespoke analysis pipelines.
- Independently designing studies, ranging from simple to more complex, and supporting all aspects of projects from data wrangling through to machine learning and statistical analysis.
- Understanding how data science projects fit within Takeda’s preclinical and clinical efforts, with the goal of using data science to better understand the patient journey and to help us tailor interventions that maximize patient benefit.
- Independently represent data science function on global project teams in support of pre-clincial and clinical studies and compound level programs.
- Play a leadership role in the development and review of the study synopsis, protocol, statistical analysis plan, clinical study report, ensuring accurate and statistically valid deliverables.
- Perform end-to-end data analyses, from hypotheses formulation, experimental design, writing analysis plans, data cleaning, executing analysis, and preparing reports and documentation.
- Develop and support best data handling and data provenance practices utilizing reproducible, interpretable research approahces
- Strengthen Takeda’s advanced analytics toolkit by identifying and applying emerging techniques, as well as by advancing the state of the art and developing novel analysis tools as needed.
- Collaborate effectively within a matrix environment, with scientists in various therapeutic areas to understand disease biology and to identify or develop appropriate goals for data science work (for example identifying sensitive and specific endpoints for segmenting patient population, tracking disease progression, quantifying quality of life, etc.) as well as with with colleagues from pharmacology, chemistry, imaging, translational sciences, computational biology, experimental medicine
- Work closely with Takeda statisticians to ensure statistical issues in data analysis are addressed as needed.
- Anticipate and communicate internal and external resource and quality issues that may impact deliverables or timelines of the program. Propose and implement solutions. Escalate issues to management as appropriate in a timely manner.
- Increase the internal impact of Takeda’s data science work by identifying opportunities across therapeutic areas.
- Increase the external recognition of Takeda’s data science work by participating in conferences, publishing work and developing external collaborations.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- Education in a relevant field, for example a) PhD in a field such as Biostatistics, Physics, Electrical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics with at least 6 years of experience and a clear interest in data science methods, or b) Master’s degree with at least 9 years of relevant experience
- Expert-level knowledge of data science programming languages (Python and R, or similar) and experience with recommended practices for software development.
- Signficant depth of expertise in at least one field relevant to the job (for example, machine learning, signal processing, etc.) and strong background in both supervised and unsupervised machine learning.
- Ability to work independently on complicated datasets, including all aspects of data analysis (data cleaning, algorithm development, statistical analysis, and documentation).
- Strongly prefer a working knowledge of UNIX operating systems, ideally with experience in high-performance computing environments.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Strong project management skills.
- Willingness and ability to self-educate in new areas.
- Strong collaborative skills and ability to work with a cross-functional team.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to sit and stand for long periods of time.
- Carrying, handling and reaching for objects.
- Ability to lift and carry over 25 pounds.
- Manual dexterity to operate office equipment i.e. computers, phones, etc.
- Access to transportation to attend various meetings held in proximity to the Takeda offices.
- Able to fly to various meetings at investigator, vendor or regulatory agency sites.
- Some international travel may be required.
Job ID R0021457