Sci II/Sr. Scientist, Oligonucleotide Bioconjugate Chemist
San Diego, California
Takeda fosters a collaborative and stimulating work environment filled with opportunity and the chance to make a difference in people's lives. It is a workplace driven by integrity, one of Takeda’s long-held values that extends to both the patients we serve and our employees who develop and deliver medicines. Across our company, Takeda employees bring together diverse strengths that together create a stronger whole.
As one of the world’s leading biopharmaceutical companies, Takeda is committed to bringing Better Health and a Brighter future to people worldwide. We aspire to bring our leadership in translating science into life-changing medicines to the next level, in our core focus areas; oncology, gastroenterology, neuroscience, rare diseases, plasma-derived therapies, and vaccines.
Takeda California generates highly disease-specific and patient-tailored transformative new medicines aligned with Takeda’s global market strategies through research in Gastrointestinal (GI), Neuroscience and Immunology. Takeda California’s team of experienced scientists and clinicians deliver on the needs of patients by blending its internal capabilities, global Takeda resources, and expertise and technology from best-in-class external partners. Takeda California has opened a new 165,000 square-foot building which is an external innovation and collaboration hub for San Diego.
We are a passionate team doing important work that impacts patients’ lives. If you are driven to create better health and a brighter future, join us!
What makes a successful member of our team? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Results Driven
- Team Player
Life at Takeda
Medicine for the world
We put the patient at the center of everything we do as we strive towards better health for people worldwide, through leading innovation in medicine.
Research & Development
By focusing R&D efforts on four therapeutic areas and other targeted investments, our aim is to thrive at the cutting edge of innovation that solves unmet medical needs, through internal R&D and in collaboration with cross-industry partners.
“It’s about putting the patient at the center of everything we do. Takeda is very rooted in our four priorities of Patient, Trust, Reputation, Business, or PTRB.”
Chief of Staff
Meet Jen, the Chief of Staff and Head of Gastroenterology (GI) Therapeutic Area Unit General Operations in Boston, Massachusetts.
Bold initiatives, continuous improvement, and creativity are at the heart of how we bring scientific breakthroughs from the lab to patients.
Since 1781, the values of Takeda-ism (Integrity, Fairness, Honesty, and Perseverance) have guided everything we do—from decision-making to interacting with patients.
Our people-first mission extends beyond patients to include their families, communities, and our own Takeda family.
Through trust and respect, you will have genuine support from leaders, managers, and colleagues to do your best work.
A strong, borderless team, we strive together towards our priorities and inspiring mission.
Recognized for our culture and way of working, we’re one of only 13 companies to receive Top Global Employer® status for 2020.
Sci II/Sr. Scientist, Oligonucleotide Bioconjugate ChemistApply Now
Are you looking for a patient-focused, innovation-driven company that will inspire you and empower you to shine? Join us as a Scientist in our San Diego, CA office.
At Takeda, we are transforming the pharmaceutical industry through our R&D-driven market leadership and being a values-led company. To do this, we empower our people to realize their potential through life-changing work. Certified as a Global Top Employer, we offer stimulating careers, encourage innovation, and strive for excellence in everything we do. We foster an inclusive, collaborative workplace, in which our global teams are united by an unwavering commitment to deliver Better Health and a Brighter Future to people around the world.
Takeda Gastrointestinal Chemistry has an opening for Scientist/Sr Scientist to conduct preclinical research and development in the area of oligonucleotide conjugates. The role will develop chemistries for conjugation of oligonucleotides to antibodies, peptides, and small molecules. This position will drive deliverables to meet project needs using internal and external resources.
- Synthesis, purification and characterization of oligonucleotide conjugates on microgram to gram scales.
- Develop and optimize of conjugation protocols utilizing novel chemistries and technologies.
- Develop and optimize high throughput workflows for oligonucleotide conjugation and analyses.
- Collaborate with project teams, as well as core Chemistry team, to expand conjugation capabilities.
- Manage external partners to ensure deliverables meet project needs and timelines.
- Excellent organizational skills and able to accomplish goals under strict timelines.
DIMENSIONS AND ASPECTS
Technical/Functional (Line) Expertise
- Hands-on experience with bioconjugation of oligonucleotides, antibodies, and peptides (biomolecules) using chemical and enzymatic methods
- Experience in analytical techniques such as: Reverse Phase (RP-HPLC), Ion Exchange (IEX), Size Exclusion (SEC), Liquid Chromatography Mass Spectrometry (LCMS), Ultaviolet Spectroscopy (UV), Hydrophobic Interaction Chromatography (HIC-HPLC), gel electrophoresis of biomolecules under reducing and non-reducing conditions
- Hands-on experience in purification methods RP, IEX, SEC, and affinity chromatography using Agilent HPLCs and AKTA FPLCs
- Experience in HPLC assay development for stability testing and enzymatic assays
- High Resolution Mass Spectrometry (HRMS) experience with biomolecules using a Qtof or comparable platforms
- Experience with oligonucleotide synthesis is highly preferred
- Antibody drug conjugate experience is preferred
- Proficient in OpenLabs CDS, Chemstation, MassLynx, and Promass
- Keeps up with the up-to-date scientific advancement
- The individual should be detail oriented, self-motivated, and team player, diligent.
- Able to multitask efficiently to support SAR generation projects.
- Function as cross-functional project team leader
- Scientific leadership role, setting high standards for effectiveness of execution, and rigor of thought
Decision-making and Autonomy
- Scientifically independent
- Manages internal/CRO workload, expectations and budget
- Independently manages workload and expectations
- Scientific driver for research strategy that impacts group internally and outside area of function
- Strong and clear communicator
- Able to initiate and lead external interactions and collaborations
- Receives high level instructions on work; determines methods on new assignments; greater demonstrated independence; may manage junior staff
EDUCATION, BEHAVIORAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry/ Biochemistry/Chemical Biology or other relevant discipline with 2-5+ years of relevant experience, or
- MS with 10+ years experience, or
- BS with 12+ years experience
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
• 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
• Tuition reimbursement Company match of charitable contributions
• Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
• Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
• Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Discover more at takedajobs.com
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.
San Diego, CA
Job ID R0023652