Senior Scientist, Drug Product Development
Takeda fosters a collaborative and stimulating work environment filled with opportunity and the chance to make a difference in people's lives. It is a workplace driven by integrity, one of Takeda’s long-held values that extends to both the patients we serve and our employees who develop and deliver medicines. Across our company, Takeda employees bring together diverse strengths that together create a stronger whole.
As one of the world’s leading biopharmaceutical companies, Takeda is committed to bringing Better Health and a Brighter future to people worldwide. We aspire to bring our leadership in translating science into life-changing medicines to the next level, in our core focus areas; oncology, gastroenterology, neuroscience, rare diseases, plasma-derived therapies, and vaccines. The Greater Boston Area is headquarters to many of our Global and US business units.
We are a passionate team doing important work that impacts patients’ lives. If you are driven to create better health and a brighter future, join us!
What makes a successful member of our team? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Results Driven
- Team Player
Life at Takeda
A Global Top Employer
Recognized for our culture and way of working, we’re one of only select companies to receive Top Global Employer® status for 2020.
Check Out Takeda’s Cambridge Office
View a panoramic tour of the Cambridge office, study a map of the Takeda campus, and see all the amazing nearby attractions
Research & Development
By focusing R&D efforts on four therapeutic areas and other targeted investments, our aim is to thrive at the cutting edge of innovation that solves unmet medical needs, through internal R&D and in collaboration with cross-industry partners. We have the scale and expertise to be a leading global, Values-based, R&D-driven biopharmaceutical company with dynamic, focused R&D efforts.
Bold initiatives, continuous improvement, and creativity are at the heart of how we bring scientific breakthroughs from the lab to patients.
Since 1781, the values of Takeda-ism (Integrity, Fairness, Honesty, and Perseverance) have guided everything we do—from decision-making to interacting with patients.
Our people-first mission extends beyond patients to include their families, communities, and our own Takeda family.
Through trust and respect, you will have genuine support from leaders, managers, and colleagues to do your best work.
A strong, borderless team, we strive together towards our priorities and inspiring mission.
Recognized for our culture and way of working, we’re one of only 13 companies to receive Top Global Employer® status for 2020.
Senior Scientist, Drug Product DevelopmentApply Now
Are you looking for a patient-focused company that will inspire you and support your career? If so, be empowered to take charge of your future at Takeda. Join us as a Senior Scientist, Drug Product Development in our Cambridge, MA office.
At Takeda, we are transforming the pharmaceutical industry through our R&D-driven market leadership and being a values-led company. To do this, we empower our people to realize their potential through life-changing work. Certified as a Global Top Employer, we offer stimulating careers, encourage innovation, and strive for excellence in everything we do. We foster an inclusive, collaborative workplace, in which our global teams are united by an unwavering commitment to deliver Better Health and a Brighter Future to people around the world.
Here, everyone matters and you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission.
As a Senior Scientist working in the Drug Product Development team, you will be empowered to design, execute and/or manages phase appropriate formulation and process development studies encompassing all activities from early phase formulation to manufacturing process validation.
The Senior Scientist is expected to provide technical leadership on product development activities encompassing different modalities including small molecules, microbiome, oligonucleotides and peptides. The Senior Scientist is responsible for independently planning and execution of drug product development activities including Drug Discovery support, Pre-formulation, Formulation/Process Development, Tech Transfer, Clinical Manufacturing and Regulatory Filing supports. The Senior Scientist line function on Pharmaceutical Sciences teams and will provide theoretical/conceptual input to the design, development and execution of research assignments for drug product development.
- Designs, executes and/or manages phase appropriate formulation and process development studies encompassing all activities from early phase formulation to manufacturing process validation with inputs from manager as needed.
- Manage CROs and CMOs to support drug product development and GMP manufacturing of the drug product.
- Responsible for drug product manufacturing activities at CMO’s including master batch records, protocols GMP manufacturing, batch release, deviations, investigations, CAPA’s and change controls.
- Author/review internal development reports, CMC sections of IND/IMPD/NDA and responses in support of regulatory filings/queries.
- Represent DPD group on cross functional CMC teams and leverage strategic understanding of the project and CMC priorities to plan/coordinate the drug product development studies with cross-functional peers.
- Provide project progress updates/reports to manager to ensure management is engaged and aware of the project strategy, current activities and future needs.
- Serves as subject matter expert and contributes actively to complex/multiple projects or functional areas through leading or influencing others.
- Lead and support departmental (or cross functional) key initiatives to drive scientific and technical innovations.
- Ensures a productive, respectful and development-rich environment; provides training/mentoring for junior staff.
- Proactively identifies vendors and builds relationships to gain access to technologies as needed to deliver on pipeline goals.
DIMENSIONS AND ASPECTS
- Comprehensive understanding of the pharmaceutical industry and Cell Therapy
- Demonstrated ability to work across functions, regions and cultures
- Enterprise level leadership with the ability to inspire, motivate and drive results
- Excellent communicator, able to persuasively convey both ideas and data, verbally and in writing
- Proven skills as an effective team player who can engender credibility and confidence within and outside the company
- Ability to distil complex issues and ideas down to simple comprehensible terms
- Executive leadership presence and confidence
- Embraces and demonstrates a diversity and inclusion mindset and role models these behaviors for the organization
- Ability to develop and drive a Global Workforce and Talent strategy for all colleagues in the Global, Regional and Local organizations
Decision-making and Autonomy
- Broad decision-making responsibilities:
- Ability to make highly complex decisions that impact the enterprise
- Accountable for decision making for Cell Therapy
- Ability to seek diverse input from multiple constituents and stakeholders to drive innovative solutions
- Ability to incorporate feedback and ensure decisions are made swiftly to yield flawless execution
- Accountable for designing and implementing vision and strategy for designated scope
- Effectively navigates the changing external and internal environment and leads others through change by creating and inspiring and engaging workplace
- Ability to effectively implement R&D’s partnership strategy
- Effectively represent Takeda in High-level negotiations with the ability to resolve conflict in a constructive manner
- Ability to build strong partnerships and drive role clarity with other interfacing Takeda functions
- Visionary and forward thinking with the ability to influence and effectively drive organizational change and continuous innovation
- Comfortable challenging the status quo and bringing forward innovative solutions
- Ability to take risks implementing innovative solutions, accelerating time to market
- Ability to work in a global ecosystem (internal and external) with a high degree of complexity
- Breadth of knowledge required across therapeutic areas, indications, and/or modalities
EDUCATION, BEHAVIORAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Must have a degree in a related scientific discipline.
- BS with at least eleven (11) years, MS/PharmD with at least nine (9) years or a PhD with a minimum of three (3) years of experience in Product Development in the Pharmaceutical industry is required.
- Extensive experience and demonstrated track record in several drug product development activities such as Drug Discovery support, Pre-formulation, Early phase formulation development, formulation characterization, manufacturing process development, tech transfer, scale up and validation.
- Technical expertise in development of oral or parenteral products with demonstrated experience in one or more formulation techniques including but not limited to solubilization, spray drying, hot melt extrusion, nanoparticles, dry/wet granulation, tablet compression, Wurster process, tablet coating, encapsulation, liquid fill/finish and aseptic processing.
- Good working knowledge of common analytical techniques such as HPLC, DSC, TGA, XRPD, IR/Raman spectroscopy and particle size analysis techniques.
- Extensive experience in CMC pharmaceutical development for drug products under cGMP’s.
- Previous experience contributing to regulatory filings.
- Ability to work independently, take initiatives, and complete tasks to meet the deadlines.
- Strong team player.
- Must be capable of handling multiple projects with competing timelines and must be able to make complex decisions.
- Must possess solid communication skills as well as organizational skills.
- Demonstrated leadership skills – Develops and uses knowledge and interpersonal skills to appropriately influence and guide others towards the accomplishment of department/function goals and objectives.
- Requires occasional travel to various meetings or vendor sites
- Some international travel may be required
- Hands-on laboratory work is required
- May require approximately 10% - 20% travel
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Discover more at takedajobs.com
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please
Job ID R0022399