Scientist I Molecular and Cell Biology
San Diego, California
Takeda fosters a collaborative and stimulating work environment filled with opportunity and the chance to make a difference in people's lives. It is a workplace driven by integrity, one of Takeda’s long-held values that extends to both the patients we serve and our employees who develop and deliver medicines. Across our company, Takeda employees bring together diverse strengths that together create a stronger whole.
As one of the world’s leading biopharmaceutical companies, Takeda is committed to bringing Better Health and a Brighter future to people worldwide. We aspire to bring our leadership in translating science into life-changing medicines to the next level, in our core focus areas; oncology, gastroenterology, neuroscience, rare diseases, plasma-derived therapies, and vaccines.
Takeda California generates highly disease-specific and patient-tailored transformative new medicines aligned with Takeda’s global market strategies through research in Gastrointestinal (GI), Neuroscience and Immunology. Takeda California’s team of experienced scientists and clinicians deliver on the needs of patients by blending its internal capabilities, global Takeda resources, and expertise and technology from best-in-class external partners. Takeda California has opened a new 165,000 square-foot building which is an external innovation and collaboration hub for San Diego.
We are a passionate team doing important work that impacts patients’ lives. If you are driven to create better health and a brighter future, join us!
What makes a successful member of our team? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Results Driven
- Team Player
Life at Takeda
Medicine for the world
We put the patient at the center of everything we do as we strive towards better health for people worldwide, through leading innovation in medicine.
Research & Development
By focusing R&D efforts on four therapeutic areas and other targeted investments, our aim is to thrive at the cutting edge of innovation that solves unmet medical needs, through internal R&D and in collaboration with cross-industry partners.
“It’s about putting the patient at the center of everything we do. Takeda is very rooted in our four priorities of Patient, Trust, Reputation, Business, or PTRB.”
Chief of Staff
Meet Jen, the Chief of Staff and Head of Gastroenterology (GI) Therapeutic Area Unit General Operations in Boston, Massachusetts.
Bold initiatives, continuous improvement, and creativity are at the heart of how we bring scientific breakthroughs from the lab to patients.
Since 1781, the values of Takeda-ism (Integrity, Fairness, Honesty, and Perseverance) have guided everything we do—from decision-making to interacting with patients.
Our people-first mission extends beyond patients to include their families, communities, and our own Takeda family.
Through trust and respect, you will have genuine support from leaders, managers, and colleagues to do your best work.
A strong, borderless team, we strive together towards our priorities and inspiring mission.
Recognized for our culture and way of working, we’re one of only 13 companies to receive Top Global Employer® status for 2020.
Scientist I Molecular and Cell BiologyApply Now
Are you looking for a patient-focused, innovation-driven company that will inspire you and empower you to shine? Join us as a Scientist I Molecular and Cellular Biology at our recently dedicated San Diego Research Site.
At Takeda, we are transforming the pharmaceutical industry through our R&D-driven market leadership and being a values-led company. To do this, we empower our people to realize their potential through life-changing work. Certified as a Global Top Employer, we offer stimulating careers, encourage innovation, and strive for excellence in everything we do. We foster an inclusive, collaborative workplace, in which our global teams are united by an unwavering commitment to deliver Better Health and a Brighter Future to people around the world.
Here, you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission. As a Scientist in the GI Drug Development Unit, you will be empowered to serve on project teams for discovery to development programs.
- Develop Takeda’s GI Drug Discovery Unit single cell ‘omics methods, including experimental design, sample preparation by innovating and creating novel approaches for single cell assays , generation of cell/nuclei suspension, library preparation, and data generation and interpretation
- Drive collaborations with internal groups, external partners, including CROs and academia for tissue procurement, sample handling, and data generation
- Interface with research teams and support projects relating to ‘omics, cell, and molecular biology techniques in GI Motility and Inflammation
- Perform massively parallel functional genomic screening assays and gene perturbations to validate new targets
- Apply skillsets in molecular and cell biology to contribute to multiple programs in GI drug discovery.
- Partner with Flow Cytometry Core to streamline pipelines for single nuclei/cell processing
- Able to conduct basic molecular techniques (RNA extraction, cDNA preparation, NGS library construction, single cell assays, DNA extraction, ELISA, MSD, Western Blotting)
- Able to conduct in vitro cell based assays
- Apply skillsets to isolate specific cell types from rodent and human gastrointestinal tissues
- Independently conducts large scale -omics experiments (e.g. diverse library preparations) and/or tasks within a project scope, exercising judgement to evaluate a variety of technical factors, and obtain optimum solutions
- Independently keeps abreast of current literature on single cell technologies and help implement develop novel approaches in-house
- Able to schedule and execute on tasks and protocols independently after training and alignment on key experiments
- Maintain good laboratory record keeping and be responsible for the inventory of tissue samples and destinations
- Plan and coordinate molecular biology studies conducted in internal research labs and studies in partnership with external CROs and academic partners
- Prepare research reports for group meeting presentations
- Help design experimental strategies to meet research goals in collaboration with CROs and academic partners.
- Engage in academic collaborations with single cell expertise and innovative single cell research. Exercise different SOPs depending the sample preservation and project scope.
- Present data within group meetings and crossfunctional teams
- Interacts closely with the bioinformaticians in the DDU to coordinate experiments and the subsequent data analysis
DIMENSIONS AND ASPECTS
Technical/Functional (Line) Expertise
- Knowledge of and experience with gastrointestinal physiology, immunology, and enteric nervous system
- Demonstrates in-depth knowledge of currently assigned research methods
- Understands why a series of experiments is selected
- Demonstrates basic knowledge of science/technology outside specific discipline
- Recognizes problems and considers the significance of irregularities
- Ability to work in a team and influence team to make data driven decisions
Decision-making and Autonomy
- Independently manages own workload
- Scientifically independent
- Ability to search literature and come up with innovative solution to difficult problems
- Conducts scientific presentations to internal audiences
- Receives high level instructions on all work, determines methods on new assignments, works closely with manager, may manage junior staff
- Determines methods on new assignments; perform literature search as needed to propose innovation solutions
EDUCATION, BEHAVIORAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- PhD degree with Post Doc experience, or equivalent.
- Bachelors degree in a scientific discipline, or equivalent with 10+ years experience,
- or Master's degree in a scientific discipline,or equivalent with 7 + years experience
- Hands-on laboratory NGS experience with demonstrated proficiency with extant NGS library methods
- Familiarity with droplet-based single cell assays and platforms (10X Genomics)
- Experience with cell culture techniques and tissue processing desired
- Strong organizational skills is essential to ensure proper inventory and tracking of samples
- Good laboratory record keeping
- Experience with FAC-sorting
Nice to have:
- Experience with laboratory robotics, large-scale experiments and process development
- WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Learn more at takedajobs.com.
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.
San Diego, CA
Job ID R0021945