Recruitment Fraud Alert
Takeda has received reports that there are instances of identity thieves posing as Takeda employees in an attempt to steal personal information from job seekers. In these cases, identity thieves visit job-related websites and invite candidates to online chats. During the chat, they press job seekers to provide bank account information and personal identification numbers. If you receive unexpected offers of employment from people claiming to work for Takeda, we suggest you do not correspond with them, do not click any hyperlinks and do not open any attachments.
At Takeda, we will never ask for personal financial information during any step of the interview nor do we charge job seekers fees as part of the recruitment process. Takeda’s recruiting correspondence will be sent by a recruiting representative with an @takeda.com email address – not @gmail.com, @yahoo.com, @hotmail.com or any other email domain service.
If you believe you have been contacted by an unauthorized person, please contact your local law enforcement agency immediately.
Principal Scientist - Microbiome Sciences
Are you looking for a patient-focused, innovation-driven company that will inspire you and empower you to shine? Join us as an Principal Scientist, Microbiome Sciences in our Cambridge, MA offices.
At Takeda, we are transforming the pharmaceutical industry through our R&D-driven market leadership and being a values-led company. To do this, we empower our people to realize their potential through life-changing work. Certified as a Global Top Employer, we offer stimulating careers, encourage innovation, and strive for excellence in everything we do. We foster an inclusive, collaborative workplace, in which our global teams are united by an unwavering commitment to deliver Better Health and a Brighter Future to people around the world.
Here, you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission.
Takeda is making significant investments in microbiome drug development for gastrointestinal diseases across therapeutic modalities. We are building a dedicated group of microbiome experts as part of Gastrointestinal Drug Discovery Unit (GI DDU) to advance this growing pipeline. In addition, we are developing multi-year collaborations focused on the next generation of microbiome therapeutics. The selected candidate will expand our microbiome discovery and development capabilities to support our growing microbiome portfolio. This is an opportunity to step into a leadership role progressing preclinical and translational research projects through the discovery pipeline to the clinic.
The GI DDU has a growing interdisciplinary group of individuals focused on gastrointestinal diseases such as inflammatory bowel disease, liver disease, and enteric nervous system/neuroinflammatory diseases. We are looking for a dynamic and driven individual join as an expert in microbiome-based therapeutics. The Research Principal Scientist will have wide visibility within the organization and among our academic and biotech partners.
- Leads microbiome and inflammation-targeting drug discovery projects for gastroenterological diseases.
- Establishes project direction integrating science, key technical knowledge, and program
- Designs and implements preclinical studies in support of clinical and discovery stage assets
- Plays an active role in the evaluation of potential drug candidates for in-licensing
- Acts as the scientific lead for Takeda in our academic partnerships focused on microbiome based therapies
- Builds and implements strategy for emerging areas of microbiome drug discovery including neuroinflammation
- Develops human-first novel target ID approaches for our discovery pipeline
- Contributes to the preparation/editing/review of documents for regulatory submission (i.e., study reports, IB’s, IND’s)
- Establishes rapport and collaborates with microbiome scientific leaders, KOLs, academic partners, CROs, and is seen as an international subject matter expert
DIMENSIONS AND ASPECTS
Technical/Functional (Line) Expertise
- Demonstrates well-developed knowledge of other disciplines / departments and how they function together
- Demonstrates either or both: exceptional project management skills or broad recognition for
in-depth expertise in a scientific discipline
- Designs and directs research strategy and activities to meet program objectives; provide
leadership, timelines and contingency plans
Decision-making and Autonomy
- Independently manages workload and expectations
- Scientifically independent
- Scientific driver for research strategy that impacts group internally and outside area of function
- Initiates and leads external interactions and collaborations
- Frequent contact with internal and external personnel at various management levels
- Collaborates with other departments, and disciplines, acting as scientific authority within
- Serves as senior company / project representative at external conferences, or business meetings
- Determines methods on new assignments; makes strategic recommendations on projects; greater demonstrated independence; may manage junior staff
EDUCATION, BEHAVIORAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- PhD degree in a scientific discipline with 8+ years experience , or
- MS with 12+ years experience, or
- BS with 14+ years experience
- Deep knowledge and experience in the microbiome sciences such as anaerobic microbiology, shotgun metagenomics and/or microbial metabolomics
- Experience in gut-brain microbiome research
- Experience with small molecule drug discovery programs strongly preferred
- Track record of progressing discovery and preclinical programs in an industry setting
- Experience managing external resources in drug discovery
- Excellent problem solving, collaborative, communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills
- Independent, self-starting and experience working effectively in a matrix organization.
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
This job posting excludes CO applicants.
Empowering Our People to Shine
Discover more at takedajobs.com
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.
Takeda is proud in its commitment to creating a diverse workforce and providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, parental status, national origin, age, disability, citizenship status, genetic information or characteristics, marital status, status as a Vietnam era veteran, special disabled veteran, or other protected veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws, and any other characteristic protected by law.