Portfolio Strategy & Management (Director) ONC Therapeutic Area Unit
Takeda fosters a collaborative and stimulating work environment filled with opportunity and the chance to make a difference in people's lives. It is a workplace driven by integrity, one of Takeda’s long-held values that extends to both the patients we serve and our employees who develop and deliver medicines. Across our company, Takeda employees bring together diverse strengths that together create a stronger whole.
As one of the world’s leading biopharmaceutical companies, Takeda is committed to bringing Better Health and a Brighter future to people worldwide. We aspire to bring our leadership in translating science into life-changing medicines to the next level, in our core focus areas; oncology, gastroenterology, neuroscience, rare diseases, plasma-derived therapies, and vaccines. The Greater Boston Area is headquarters to many of our Global and US business units.
We are a passionate team doing important work that impacts patients’ lives. If you are driven to create better health and a brighter future, join us!
What makes a successful member of our team? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Results Driven
- Team Player
Life at Takeda
A Global Top Employer
Recognized for our culture and way of working, we’re one of only select companies to receive Top Global Employer® status for 2020.
Check Out Takeda’s Cambridge Office
View a panoramic tour of the Cambridge office, study a map of the Takeda campus, and see all the amazing nearby attractions
Research & Development
By focusing R&D efforts on four therapeutic areas and other targeted investments, our aim is to thrive at the cutting edge of innovation that solves unmet medical needs, through internal R&D and in collaboration with cross-industry partners. We have the scale and expertise to be a leading global, Values-based, R&D-driven biopharmaceutical company with dynamic, focused R&D efforts.
Bold initiatives, continuous improvement, and creativity are at the heart of how we bring scientific breakthroughs from the lab to patients.
Since 1781, the values of Takeda-ism (Integrity, Fairness, Honesty, and Perseverance) have guided everything we do—from decision-making to interacting with patients.
Our people-first mission extends beyond patients to include their families, communities, and our own Takeda family.
Through trust and respect, you will have genuine support from leaders, managers, and colleagues to do your best work.
A strong, borderless team, we strive together towards our priorities and inspiring mission.
Recognized for our culture and way of working, we’re one of only 13 companies to receive Top Global Employer® status for 2020.
Portfolio Strategy & Management (Director) ONC Therapeutic Area UnitApply Now
Are you looking for a patient-focused company that will inspire you and support your career? If so, be empowered to take charge of your future at Takeda. Join us as a Director, Oncology Therapeutic Area Unit Portfolio Strategy & Management in our Cambridge office.
Here, everyone matters and you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission. As a Director working on the Oncology Therapeutic Area Unit (OTAU) team, you will influence Oncology portfolio strategy and make recommendations to Oncology and R&D leaders on portfolio objectives and strategy.
The Director,Portfolio Strategy & Management,reporting to VP, Head of Portfolio and Strategy, will be responsible for the coordination, implementation, and prioritization of the portfolio activities for the Oncology Therapeutic Area Unit (OTAU). This includes working both internally and externally to evolve the OTAU strategy based on patient need / external market dynamics and make recommendations to address long-term portfolio objectives. In addition, the Director will be responsible for leading or managing initiatives related to portfolio management best practices and providing input to external communications, investor relations presentations, and business development activities that align with the OTAU strategy. The incumbent will apply scientific and leadership expertise to support the build-up and delivery of the innovative portfolio via cross-functional interactions internally and externally and provide support to senior leaders across Oncology and R&D.
Oncology TAU Strategy
- Lead organization of OTAU strategy and manage forums / create documents to facilitate communication, collect feedback, and alignment
- Organize and execute regular internal and external focused portfolio reviews to pressure test strategic areas of focus to optimize current portfolio and lead future investment
- Conduct industry research to gather and analyze insights to evaluate potential opportunities relevant therapeutic and disease areas
- Be current on emergent aspects of clinical oncology and scientific trends in the oncology space to inform current and future portfolio decisions
- Contribute to the development of pipeline narratives to be communicated at international conferences, investor relation events and other external presentations
- Workwith business development colleagues to provide insight on portfolio strategy and prioritization of BD opportunities to enhance portfolio; serve on diligence teams and map potential opportunities against the needs of the business
- Lead organizational initiatives connected to building portfolio insights / value or strategic projects as delegated by the OTAU Head
Portfolio Management & Analytics
- Serve as a point of contact between Program Teams and TAU for portfolio-related matters—ensuring continuous data and information flow between Program Teams,TAUs, Finance and Portfolio Operations
- Provide strategic leadership and expertise with respect to portfolio analytics and decision making (providing real- time analytics, identification of material events, structuring problems and generating insights) that facilitates trade-off discussions and buy-up decisions for new projects
- Monitor portfolio progress and related milestones, identify gaps and make strategic recommendations; serve as a communication hub for portfolio related progress and key OTAU milestones
- Work with other Portfolio Management colleagues in other TAUs and Global Portfolio to optimize
prioritization exercises to facilitate decision-making at senior R&D Leadership
Work with R&D finance to optimize investment allocations and participate in annual R&D planning cycle processes
Serve as a liaison to the Oncology Drug Discovery organization and Oncology Commercial New Products team
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s degree in science
- Advanced scientific degree (MD, PhD, PharmD) strongly preferred
- Minimum 10 years related work experience in R&D, commercial, business and/or corporate development/consulting, in the pharmaceutical or biotech industry
- Recognized team player with proven facilitative leadership skills in a cross-functional global team environment with ability to influence and align stakeholders
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact externally and internally to support the portfolio and externalization strategy
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Thorough knowledge and experience in pharmaceutical R&D, commercial strategy, and/or corporate planning
- Deep understanding of the drug development process and asset valuation
- Understanding of the Oncology therapeutic area preferred: pathophysiology, relevant targets/pathways, familiarity with pipeline assets of Takeda and another relevant pharma or biotech
- Ability to rapidly synthesize information from multiple sources, communicate ideas and data both verbally and written in a persuasive and appropriate manner in multi-cultural environment
- Ability to create and communicate key presentations to internal leadership and external partners with credibility and confidence
- Analytical Skills – ability to analyze a wide variety of data, including financial figures to make strategic decisions
- Pharmaceutical Industry Acumen – ability to define, develop and implement business solutions based on trends, opportunities, needs and market direction within pharmaceutical industry and health care environment
- Proactive ability to anticipate issues and problem solve
Job ID R0022719