Microbiome/Bacterial Bioprocess Development – Senior Research Associate
Takeda fosters a collaborative and stimulating work environment filled with opportunity and the chance to make a difference in people's lives. It is a workplace driven by integrity, one of Takeda’s long-held values that extends to both the patients we serve and our employees who develop and deliver medicines. Across our company, Takeda employees bring together diverse strengths that together create a stronger whole.
As one of the world’s leading biopharmaceutical companies, Takeda is committed to bringing Better Health and a Brighter future to people worldwide. We aspire to bring our leadership in translating science into life-changing medicines to the next level, in our core focus areas; oncology, gastroenterology, neuroscience, rare diseases, plasma-derived therapies, and vaccines. The Greater Boston Area is headquarters to many of our Global and US business units.
We are a passionate team doing important work that impacts patients’ lives. If you are driven to create better health and a brighter future, join us!
What makes a successful member of our team? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Results Driven
- Team Player
Life at Takeda
A Global Top Employer
Recognized for our culture and way of working, we’re one of only select companies to receive Top Global Employer® status for 2020.
Check Out Takeda’s Cambridge Office
View a panoramic tour of the Cambridge office, study a map of the Takeda campus, and see all the amazing nearby attractions
Research & Development
By focusing R&D efforts on four therapeutic areas and other targeted investments, our aim is to thrive at the cutting edge of innovation that solves unmet medical needs, through internal R&D and in collaboration with cross-industry partners. We have the scale and expertise to be a leading global, Values-based, R&D-driven biopharmaceutical company with dynamic, focused R&D efforts.
Bold initiatives, continuous improvement, and creativity are at the heart of how we bring scientific breakthroughs from the lab to patients.
Since 1781, the values of Takeda-ism (Integrity, Fairness, Honesty, and Perseverance) have guided everything we do—from decision-making to interacting with patients.
Our people-first mission extends beyond patients to include their families, communities, and our own Takeda family.
Through trust and respect, you will have genuine support from leaders, managers, and colleagues to do your best work.
A strong, borderless team, we strive together towards our priorities and inspiring mission.
Recognized for our culture and way of working, we’re one of only 13 companies to receive Top Global Employer® status for 2020.
Microbiome/Bacterial Bioprocess Development – Senior Research AssociateApply Now
The candidate will be responsible for experimental planning and execution of experiments in the microbiology process development laboratory. Additionally, this position will support the experimental work of other process development scientists. The candidate will be responsible for keeping a complete and accurate laboratory notebook, and reporting data to the team, both orally and in written form.
The candidate will also be responsible for general laboratory operations including: maintenance of equipment; laboratory computers and networking; biological, chemical and disposables inventory; and organization and daily maintenance of the laboratory. These responsibilities involve networking with vendors, in-house IT, and EHS.
LINE FUNCTION SPECIFIC QUALIFICATIONS:
Microbial Development Team:
The candidate must have a knowledge of general microbiology, expertise in the microbiome field, and experience with fermentation and scale-up. Prior experience with anaerobes is a plus. Some knowledge of cell and molecular biological, and biochemical techniques such as qPCR assays, DNA sequence data analysis, protein purification, FACS operation & analysis, etc. is considered a plus.
- Works with departmental and/or cross functional peers to execute on assignments, under supervision.
- Responsible for supporting technical aspects of a project.
- Prepares or assists in preparing experimental protocols.
- Reviews, interprets and communicates data internally (e.g., to supervisor, project teams) and prepares written reports as required.
- Proposes and implements resolutions to technical problems/issues.
- Designs experiments/unit operations with supervision including follow up experiments as necessary.
- Serves as a laboratory resource for others working on the same projects.
- Maintains laboratory equipment.
- Maintains and organizes laboratory chemical and disposable inventories.
- Maintains and organizes frozen stocks of microorganisms.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s degree in microbiology, molecular biology, biochemistry, biotechnology, or related pharmaceutical science; 5+ years of Microbiome/biotechnology/biopharmaceutical industry experience.
- Master’s degree or higher in microbiology, molecular biology, biochemistry, biotechnology, or related pharmaceutical science; 2+ years of Microbiome/biotechnology/biopharmaceutical industry experience.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Analytical and Problem Solving Skills - Able to participate in troubleshooting critical issues or problems
- Teamwork – Ability to work well in a highly cross-functional team environment
- Communication - Able to expresses one’s self clearly and concisely within team; documents issues and/or concerns concisely with colleagues; timely and effectively communicates issues to supervisor; technical writing skills to support contributing to internal technical documents
- Organization – Exercises good time management and prioritization skills and is able to successfully manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Knowledge Sharing - Ability to capture organizational knowledge; improve solutions, processes, and deliverables through use of information; improve information capital by contributing experience, theories, deliverables, and models for others to use
- Technical - Advanced proficiency in use of applicable lab equipment and operations; Experience with upstream process development for anaerobic microorganisms; Experience working in anaerobic chambers with strictly anaerobic organisms
Lifting of some small equipment (< 30 lb), laboratory benchwork, and manual operations in an anaerobic chamber.
Job ID R0022911