Medical Director / Senior Medical Director, Clinical Science
Takeda fosters a collaborative and stimulating work environment filled with opportunity and the chance to make a difference in people's lives. It is a workplace driven by integrity, one of Takeda’s long-held values that extends to both the patients we serve and our employees who develop and deliver medicines. Across our company, Takeda employees bring together diverse strengths that together create a stronger whole.
As one of the world’s leading biopharmaceutical companies, Takeda is committed to bringing Better Health and a Brighter future to people worldwide. We aspire to bring our leadership in translating science into life-changing medicines to the next level, in our core focus areas; oncology, gastroenterology, neuroscience, rare diseases, plasma-derived therapies, and vaccines. The Greater Boston Area is headquarters to many of our Global and US business units.
We are a passionate team doing important work that impacts patients’ lives. If you are driven to create better health and a brighter future, join us!
What makes a successful member of our team? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Results Driven
- Team Player
Life at Takeda
A Global Top Employer
Recognized for our culture and way of working, we’re one of only select companies to receive Top Global Employer® status for 2020.
Check Out Takeda’s Cambridge Office
View a panoramic tour of the Cambridge office, study a map of the Takeda campus, and see all the amazing nearby attractions
Research & Development
By focusing R&D efforts on four therapeutic areas and other targeted investments, our aim is to thrive at the cutting edge of innovation that solves unmet medical needs, through internal R&D and in collaboration with cross-industry partners. We have the scale and expertise to be a leading global, Values-based, R&D-driven biopharmaceutical company with dynamic, focused R&D efforts.
Bold initiatives, continuous improvement, and creativity are at the heart of how we bring scientific breakthroughs from the lab to patients.
Since 1781, the values of Takeda-ism (Integrity, Fairness, Honesty, and Perseverance) have guided everything we do—from decision-making to interacting with patients.
Our people-first mission extends beyond patients to include their families, communities, and our own Takeda family.
Through trust and respect, you will have genuine support from leaders, managers, and colleagues to do your best work.
A strong, borderless team, we strive together towards our priorities and inspiring mission.
Recognized for our culture and way of working, we’re one of only 13 companies to receive Top Global Employer® status for 2020.
Medical Director / Senior Medical Director, Clinical ScienceApply Now
Are you looking for a patient-focused, innovation-driven company that will inspire you and empower you to shine? Join us as an Medical Director / Senior Medical Director, Clinical Science in our Cambridge, MA office.
At Takeda, we are transforming the pharmaceutical industry through our R&D-driven market leadership and being a values-led company. To do this, we empower our people to realize their potential through life-changing work. Certified as a Global Top Employer, we offer stimulating careers, encourage innovation, and strive for excellence in everything we do. We foster an inclusive, collaborative workplace, in which our global teams are united by an unwavering commitment to deliver Better Health and a Brighter Future to people around the world.
Here, you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission.
The Medical Director leads and drives strategy for the overall global (US/EU/Japan) clinical development taking into consideration the medical, scientific, regulatory and commercial issues for assigned Takeda pipeline compounds. Leads a multi-disciplinary, multi-regional, matrix team through highly complex decisions. This individual has the ultimate responsibility for development decisions assessing and integrating the input from various disciplines to create, maintain, and execute a global clinical development plan that will result in the regulatory approval of the assigned compound in multiple regions. Applies clinical/medical decision making to clinical development issues. This individual interacts with and influences TGRD and TPC senior leadership decision-making for the projects by setting strategic direction. Success or failure directly translates to the ability of TGRD to meet its corporate goals and for Takeda to have future commercial products.
- Clinical Development team participation and leadership
- Leads Global (US/EU/Japan) Development Team managing both the US/EU Development Team and the Japan Development Team for a given product. May lead the US/EU Development Teams and represents Clinical Science on the Global (US/EU/Japan) Development Team to ensure that activities are aligned with the global strategy.
- Establishes and drives Development Team strategy and deliverables producing the Development Strategy, Clinical Development Plan and Clinical Protocols.Recommends scope, complexity and size, and influence the budget of all aspects of a program.Provides continual critical evaluation of the development strategy to maintain a state-of-the-art development plan that is competitive and consistent with the latest regulatory requirements, proactive identification of challenges, and development of contingency plans to meet them.
- Responsible for high impact global decisions: monitoring and interpreting data from ongoing internal and external studies, assessing the medical and scientific implications, and making recommendations that impact regional and global development such as “go/no go” decisions or modification of development plans or study designs that may have a significant impact on timelines or product labeling.A significant error in judgment may result in loss of approvability and commercial viability of a product.
- Synopsis / Protocol Development, Study Execution, & Study Interpretation
- Drives clinical science activities relating to the preparation / approval of synopses, protocols and the conduct of clinical studies.Serves as an advisor to other clinical scientists involved in these activities, and is accountable for the successful design and interpretation of clinical studies.Presents study conclusions to Management and determine how individual study results impact the overall compound strategy.
- Interprets data from an overall scientific standpoint as well as within the context of the medical significance to individual patients.
- Trial Medical Monitoring
- Responsible for medical monitoring activities, assessing issues related to protocol conduct and/or individual subject safety.Assesses overall safety information for studies and compound in conjunction with Pharmacovigilance.Oversees non-medical clinical scientists with respect to assessment of these issues.
- Makes final decisions regarding study conduct related to scientific integrity.
- External Interactions
- Directs activities involved in interactions with regulatory authorities / agencies and clinical development activities undertaken to establish and maintain strong relationships with key opinion leaders relevant to assigned compounds and therapeutic areas.These responsibilities include leadership roles in meetings with the regulatory organizations or key opinion leaders, establishment of strategy for assigned compounds, and the direction of clinical scientists involved in developing documents required to outline the Company positions on research programs or regulatory applications (e.g. briefing reports), materials used for meeting presentations, and formal responses to communications received from the regulatory organizations or opinion leaders.Lead roles will also be taken on the incorporation of advice / recommendations received into the design of clinical studies / programs as appropriate; accountable to senior leadership for the successful completion of related objectives.
- Due Diligence, Business Development and Alliance Projects
- Responsible for identification and evaluation of potential business development opportunities, conduct due diligence evaluations, and development and negotiation of clinical development plans for potential alliances and or in-licensing opportunities.Assesses scientific, medical, and development feasibility, evaluating strategic fit with overall portfolio, evaluating complete or ongoing clinical trials, assessing regulatory interactions and future development plans, interacting with upper management of potential partner/acquisition companies during DD visits and alliance negotiations, and representing clinical science on internal assessment teams in conjunction with TPNA/TPEU/TPC.
- Serves as clinical contact point for ongoing alliance projects and interface with partner to achieve Takeda’s strategic goals while striving to maintain good working relationship between Takeda and partner.
- Leadership, Task Force Participation, Upper Management Accountability
- Interacts directly with research division based on pertinent clinical and development expertise and with TPNA/TPEU to provide knowledge / understanding of market environment in line with status as TGRD scientific content matter expert for assigned compounds.May represent clinical science on multidisciplinary task forces across divisions (e.g. TGRD and TPNA/TPEU/TPC).Lead TGRD internal teams and may lead global cross-functional teams, as appropriate.
- Hires, manages, mentors, motivates, empowers, develops and retains staff to support assigned activities. Conducts performance reviews and drive goal setting and development planning.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- MD or internationally recognized equivalent plus 5 years of clinical research experience within the pharmaceutical industry, CRO health-related consulting company, or biomedical/clinical experience within academia (or a combination of afore mentioned).
- Previous experience successfully leading a clinical development team/matrix team with responsibility for studies in multiple regions.
- NDA/MAA/Submission experience preferred.
- Management experience
- Superior communication, strategic, interpersonal and negotiating skills
- Ability to proactively predict issues and solve problems
- Ability to drive decision-making within a multi-disciplinary, multi-regional, matrix teams
- Diplomacy and positive influencing abilities
- Therapeutic area knowledge relevant to mechanism of action
- Regional/global Regulatory requirements
- Emerging research in designated therapeutic area
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
• 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
• Tuition reimbursement Company match of charitable contributions
• Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
• Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
• Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Discover more at takedajobs.com
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.
Job ID R0021364