Lead Counsel IP
Takeda fosters a collaborative and stimulating work environment filled with opportunity and the chance to make a difference in people's lives. It is a workplace driven by integrity, one of Takeda’s long-held values that extends to both the patients we serve and our employees who develop and deliver medicines. Across our company, Takeda employees bring together diverse strengths that together create a stronger whole.
As one of the world’s leading biopharmaceutical companies, Takeda is committed to bringing Better Health and a Brighter future to people worldwide. We aspire to bring our leadership in translating science into life-changing medicines to the next level, in our core focus areas; oncology, gastroenterology, neuroscience, rare diseases, plasma-derived therapies, and vaccines. The Greater Boston Area is headquarters to many of our Global and US business units.
We are a passionate team doing important work that impacts patients’ lives. If you are driven to create better health and a brighter future, join us!
What makes a successful member of our team? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Results Driven
- Team Player
Life at Takeda
A Global Top Employer
Recognized for our culture and way of working, we’re one of only select companies to receive Top Global Employer® status for 2020.
Check Out Takeda’s Cambridge Office
View a panoramic tour of the Cambridge office, study a map of the Takeda campus, and see all the amazing nearby attractions
Research & Development
By focusing R&D efforts on four therapeutic areas and other targeted investments, our aim is to thrive at the cutting edge of innovation that solves unmet medical needs, through internal R&D and in collaboration with cross-industry partners. We have the scale and expertise to be a leading global, Values-based, R&D-driven biopharmaceutical company with dynamic, focused R&D efforts.
Bold initiatives, continuous improvement, and creativity are at the heart of how we bring scientific breakthroughs from the lab to patients.
Since 1781, the values of Takeda-ism (Integrity, Fairness, Honesty, and Perseverance) have guided everything we do—from decision-making to interacting with patients.
Our people-first mission extends beyond patients to include their families, communities, and our own Takeda family.
Through trust and respect, you will have genuine support from leaders, managers, and colleagues to do your best work.
A strong, borderless team, we strive together towards our priorities and inspiring mission.
Recognized for our culture and way of working, we’re one of only 13 companies to receive Top Global Employer® status for 2020.
Lead Counsel IPApply Now
Patent Counsel - (IP)
The overall purpose for this in-house, intellectual property counsel is to provide the organization with expertise in a variety of intellectual property issues including Therapeutic Area, Region and/or Global Function support. This position also involves leading programs in the Therapeutic Area Unit or Region and leading complex contract negotiations.
A typical day will include:
- Represents IP in Global Product and Global Brand Teams and for leading the IP strategy for Global Product Teams and Global Brand Teams (and related sub-teams such as Clinical, CMC, TMed or other sub-teams) by translating strategic decisions into operational plans consistent with IP Therapeutic Area strategy.
- Establishes rapport and positive working relationships with GPT, GBT and related sub-team members and act as their advisor on a variety of IP related issues including publication reviews, IP agreement support, and other IP issues that arise in the GPT, GBT or other sub-team activities.
- Builds consensus across global IP regions/functions for GPT, GBT and/or other Global Function activities.
- Contributes to the development of policies/procedures for IP Therapeutic Area, Regional or Global Functional Groups, in collaboration with IP TAH, IP Region Head and/or IP Function Head.
- Prepares and prosecutes or oversees the preparation and prosecution of worldwide patent applications and conducts patentability and freedom to operate assessments for Discovery, Development and Commercial related activities.
- Conducts/oversees IP due diligence, IP agreement review/negotiation for Takeda’s investment, M&A, and partnering activities.
- Participates in or provide strategic support to IPRs, opposition proceedings, and other patent office proceedings.
- Provides support to IP litigation.
- Develops and continually expands a thorough understanding of the Company’s current and planned business activities, products, competitors, and markets in order to identify relevant legal trends, laws and regulations
- Manages legal resources internally, directly and/or indirectly, and externally to complete projects in a timely and high quality manner.
- May supervise one or more direct reports and one or more other global IP members.
- Provides guidance and training to less experienced IP attorneys and other global IP members
- Identifies training needs within the organization and assists in the development and presentation of training materials on relevant IP laws and related business issues.
EDUCATION, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS
- Strong technical expertise/knowledge in large molecule/biologics area (e.g., advanced degree and/or substantial research/industrial experience in the relevant fields)
- 8+ years of experience practicing intellectual property law (law firm and/or in-house), preferably 4+ years of in-house experience
- Strong communication and presentation skills, ability to communicate complex issues clearly and succinctly
- Mature and professional demeanor with a high degree of self-motivation
- Strong organizational skills, including careful attention to detail and ability to handle and prioritize multiple assignments and maintain strict deadlines through effective time management
- Sound judgment and decision-making abilities
- Juris Doctorate degree
- Registration before a state bar.
- Registration to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
• 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
• Tuition reimbursement Company match of charitable contributions
• Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
• Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
• Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Learn more at takedajobs.com.
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.
Job ID R0015996