Head of R&D Digital Strategy Group
Takeda fosters a collaborative and stimulating work environment filled with opportunity and the chance to make a difference in people's lives. It is a workplace driven by integrity, one of Takeda’s long-held values that extends to both the patients we serve and our employees who develop and deliver medicines. Across our company, Takeda employees bring together diverse strengths that together create a stronger whole.
As one of the world’s leading biopharmaceutical companies, Takeda is committed to bringing Better Health and a Brighter future to people worldwide. We aspire to bring our leadership in translating science into life-changing medicines to the next level, in our core focus areas; oncology, gastroenterology, neuroscience, rare diseases, plasma-derived therapies, and vaccines. The Greater Boston Area is headquarters to many of our Global and US business units.
We are a passionate team doing important work that impacts patients’ lives. If you are driven to create better health and a brighter future, join us!
What makes a successful member of our team? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Results Driven
- Team Player
Life at Takeda
A Global Top Employer
Recognized for our culture and way of working, we’re one of only select companies to receive Top Global Employer® status for 2020.
Check Out Takeda’s Cambridge Office
View a panoramic tour of the Cambridge office, study a map of the Takeda campus, and see all the amazing nearby attractions
Research & Development
By focusing R&D efforts on four therapeutic areas and other targeted investments, our aim is to thrive at the cutting edge of innovation that solves unmet medical needs, through internal R&D and in collaboration with cross-industry partners. We have the scale and expertise to be a leading global, Values-based, R&D-driven biopharmaceutical company with dynamic, focused R&D efforts.
Bold initiatives, continuous improvement, and creativity are at the heart of how we bring scientific breakthroughs from the lab to patients.
Since 1781, the values of Takeda-ism (Integrity, Fairness, Honesty, and Perseverance) have guided everything we do—from decision-making to interacting with patients.
Our people-first mission extends beyond patients to include their families, communities, and our own Takeda family.
Through trust and respect, you will have genuine support from leaders, managers, and colleagues to do your best work.
A strong, borderless team, we strive together towards our priorities and inspiring mission.
Recognized for our culture and way of working, we’re one of only 13 companies to receive Top Global Employer® status for 2020.
Head of R&D Digital Strategy GroupApply Now
Are you looking for a patient-focused company that will inspire you and support your career? If so, be empowered to take charge of your future at Takeda. Join us as a Head of R&D Digital Strategy Group, in our Cambridge, MA office.
At Takeda, we are transforming the pharmaceutical industry through our R&D-driven market leadership and being a values-led company. To do this, we empower our people to realize their potential through life-changing work. Certified as a Global Top Employer, we offer stimulating careers, encourage innovation, and strive for excellence in everything we do. We foster an inclusive, collaborative workplace, in which our global teams are united by an unwavering commitment to deliver Better Health and a Brighter Future to people around the world.
Here, you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission
- Provide leadership to the R&D Digital Strategy Group with accountability for refinement of overall strategy and remit for the group
- Develop the infrastructure for the Digital Strategy Group including templates, tracking tools, training material etc to enable the group to support Global Project Teams
- Drive and influence Takeda’s R&D digital agenda through collaboration with a broad array of stakeholders within the Data Science Institute, as well as Therapeutic Area Units and Global Project Teams
- Evolve of Takeda’s operational model to enhance adoption of digital strategies
- Establish interfaces into enterprise-wide digital approaches via partnership with Digital Advisory Board and supporting work-streams
- Drive Takeda R&D’s external strategy on areas such as regulatory policy, consortia and professional bodies
- Leads and manages the Digital Strategy Group, setting the strategic direction for the team and empowers and develops Digital Strategy Leads.
- Partners with TAUs, Digital Strategy Leads and Head of DSI to coordinate and prioritize Digital Strategy Group engagements across the portfolio focusing on the design, execution and analytics of highest value digital solutions enhancing asset strategy as well as operational data and analytics
- Develops operating model with key interfaces for deployment, validation and testing of digital tools within clinical trials (eg clinical operations, Device Center of Excellence, clinicians, transnational scientists)
- Leads efforts to source external subject matter experts (e.g., digital KOLs, patients, academia) and cultivate a network to help advise and inform GPT digital strategies and technologies
- Defines and implements necessary tools and practices to enable portfolio view of needs and asset-level solutions across R&D portfolio
- Partners closely with DSI (Data Architecture) to enable common prioritization of complex R&D digital deliverables
- Works with GPTs to lead concept design and early execution of digital solution development
- Collaborates with Takeda Center for External Innovation (CEI), Takeda IT, DSI colleagues, and Takeda Digital Advisory board and external partners to select appropriate technology platforms and vendors for efficient solution development and deployment
- Owns digital asset strategy for designated GPT’s , leading concept design and early execution of digital solution development
- Partners with R&D leadership and learning to identify platforms and opportunities for scalable experiential digital learning (to build comfort with digital concepts and approach)
DIMENSIONS AND ASPECTS
Technical/Functional (Line) Expertise
- Comprehensive understanding of the pharmaceutical industry; deep understanding of pharmaceutical, med device clinical development process, timing, inter dependencies, regulatory, privacy, and ethics
- Digital literacy and proven ability to drive change pragmatically using novel technologies
- Understanding of programming principles, tech development, and data management process
- Demonstrated ability to work across functions, regions and cultures
- Enterprise level leadership with the ability to inspire, motivate and drive results
- Excellent communicator, able to persuasively convey both ideas and data, verbally and in writing
- Proven skills as an effective team player who can engender credibility and confidence within and outside the company, demonstrating humility and resiliency
- Ability to distil complex issues and ideas down to simple comprehensible terms
- Executive leadership presence and confidence
- Embraces and demonstrates a diversity and inclusion mindset and role models these behaviors for the organizaiton
Decision-making and Autonomy
- Broad decision making responsibilities:
- Ability to make highly complex decisions that impact the enterprise
- Ability to seek diverse input from multiple constituents and stakeholders to drive innovative solutions
- Ability to incorporate feedback and ensure decisions are made swiftly to yield flawless execution
- Effectively navigates the changing external and internal environment and leads others through change by creating and inspiring and engaging workplace
- Ability to effectively implement R&D’s partnership strategy
- Effectively represent Takeda in High-level negotiations with the ability to resolve conflict in a constructive manner
- Ability to build strong partnerships and drive role clarity with other interfacing Takeda functions
- Visionary and forward thinking with the ability to influence and effectively drive organizational change and continuous innovation
- Comfortable challenging the status quo and bringing forward innovative solutions
- Ability to take risks implementing innovative solutions, accelerating time to market
- Ability to work in a global ecosystem (internal and external) with a high degree of complexity
Breadth of knowledge required across therapeutic areas, indications, and/or modalities
EDUCATION, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- MS, MBA, Ph.D. or equivalent advanced degree 12+ years relevant experience required.
- Proven track record of leading and driving business process transformation and organizational culture change as well as delivering on programs with complex business deliverables
- Operational experience in pharmaceutical drug development with significant direct exposure to clinical development and digital technology
- Health care business acumen with a comprehensive understanding of the pharmaceutical industry
- Proven experience leading the design and implementation of digital strategies in an R&D environment
- Self-directed with eternal curiosity and desire to learn
- Strong external network in innovative digital technologies (e.g., innovators in academia and startups)
- Proven experience in learning from failure
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Learn more at takedajobs.com.
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.
Job ID R0016528