Head of Digital Communications
Takeda fosters a collaborative and stimulating work environment filled with opportunity and the chance to make a difference in people's lives. It is a workplace driven by integrity, one of Takeda’s long-held values that extends to both the patients we serve and our employees who develop and deliver medicines. Across our company, Takeda employees bring together diverse strengths that together create a stronger whole.
As one of the world’s leading biopharmaceutical companies, Takeda is committed to bringing Better Health and a Brighter future to people worldwide. We aspire to bring our leadership in translating science into life-changing medicines to the next level, in our core focus areas; oncology, gastroenterology, neuroscience, rare diseases, plasma-derived therapies, and vaccines. The Greater Boston Area is headquarters to many of our Global and US business units.
We are a passionate team doing important work that impacts patients’ lives. If you are driven to create better health and a brighter future, join us!
What makes a successful member of our team? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Results Driven
- Team Player
Life at Takeda
A Global Top Employer
Recognized for our culture and way of working, we’re one of only select companies to receive Top Global Employer® status for 2020.
Check Out Takeda’s Cambridge Office
View a panoramic tour of the Cambridge office, study a map of the Takeda campus, and see all the amazing nearby attractions
Research & Development
By focusing R&D efforts on four therapeutic areas and other targeted investments, our aim is to thrive at the cutting edge of innovation that solves unmet medical needs, through internal R&D and in collaboration with cross-industry partners. We have the scale and expertise to be a leading global, Values-based, R&D-driven biopharmaceutical company with dynamic, focused R&D efforts.
Bold initiatives, continuous improvement, and creativity are at the heart of how we bring scientific breakthroughs from the lab to patients.
Since 1781, the values of Takeda-ism (Integrity, Fairness, Honesty, and Perseverance) have guided everything we do—from decision-making to interacting with patients.
Our people-first mission extends beyond patients to include their families, communities, and our own Takeda family.
Through trust and respect, you will have genuine support from leaders, managers, and colleagues to do your best work.
A strong, borderless team, we strive together towards our priorities and inspiring mission.
Recognized for our culture and way of working, we’re one of only 13 companies to receive Top Global Employer® status for 2020.
Head of Digital CommunicationsApply Now
Title:R0020700 Head of Digital Communications
Are you looking for a patient-focused, innovation-driven company that will inspire you and empower you to shine? Join us as a Head of Digital Communications in our Boston, MA office.
At Takeda, we are transforming the pharmaceutical industry through our R&D-driven market leadership and being a values-led company. To do this, we empower our people to realize their potential through life-changing work. Certified as a Global Top Employer, we offer stimulating careers, encourage innovation, and strive for excellence in everything we do. We foster an inclusive, collaborative workplace, in which our global teams are united by an unwavering commitment to deliver Better Health and a Brighter Future to people around the world.
Here, you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission.
As Head of Digital Communications working in the Global External Communications team, you will be responsible for leading global enterprise digital communications to enhance Takeda's corporate reputation. You will be responsible for defining and leading an integrated, best-in-class channel and content strategy across Takeda’s internal and external digital and social channels. You will be expected to use data and insights to inform and guide the digital communications strategy, and develop approaches to continually improve communication, channel usage and engagement to elevate Takeda’s external profile.
- Define and drive Takeda’s global digital communications strategy, in alignment with Takeda’s global corporate communications strategy and narrative
- Identify strategic opportunities to advance Takeda’s digital communication footprint and elevate its corporate profile globally
- Define metrics and measures of success to track progress of digital strategy implementation
- Partner with other functional areas within Global Corporate Communications to execute integrated communications strategies
- Oversee implementation of the digital channel and content strategy, informed by industry best-practice and benchmarks
- Oversee the management of global internal and external enterprise digital channels, as well as the development and approval of new channels in alignment with the domain strategy
- Oversee the management of Takeda’s digital editorial calendar and ensure strategic links to corporate themes and narrative
- Lead the editor/contributor community across the enterprise
- Define and lead implementation of digital communication policies, procedures and governance to manage digital channel performance and reputational risk
- Ensure thorough compliance of digital content by collaborating with Legal, Global Ethics and Compliance, Pharmacovigilance and Regulatory teams
- Oversee the management of all of Takeda’s external corporate websites, including Takeda.com, Takeda.jp, and Takeda.US
- Lead and oversee the coordination of all country websites to ensure strategic alignment and protect Takeda’s reputation externally
- Oversee the management of website content development and the review and delivery process
- Provide counsel and best practice guidance for Takeda-owned websites such as Disease Awareness, Brand, and Campaign websites
- Lead collaboration with Investor Relations for investor related content uploads to corporate website
- Oversee the management of website integration and consolidation where needed
- Oversee the management of global internal and external enterprise social channels and team execution of the social content strategy
- Oversee support to regions/LOCs around social media channel management
- Establish and lead effective social community management guidelines and PV reporting responsibilities for owned external channels
- Define and ensure alignment with the social content strategy in collaboration with wider organization
- Monitor and review performance of social content and provide best practice guidance for teams
- Monitor and review performance of paid/promotional strategy across Takeda’s global social media channels
- Sign off updates to social media playbook and content templates
- Oversee the development of employee training and amplification programs
- Establish internal benchmarks based on historical data, available or commissioned industry benchmarks to evaluate performance of the digital strategy
- Monitor effectiveness and performance of all digital channels; apply data/analytics and insights to inform, improve and adjust digital strategy accordingly
- Oversee the implementation and lead uptake and optimization of digital platforms including websites, social channels and Office 365 across the business
- Oversee the development and approval of new digital tools and platforms
- Define and implement global policy/training to equip and enable employees to act as ambassadors on social channels and educate across the enterprise to promote uptake
- Lead and oversee execution/team delivery of the digital communications strategy, and sign off final materials
- Lead and supervise direct reports with responsibility for global projects
- Manage team development activities including performance reviews, quality conversations and EOY talent reviews
- Design and own a feasible, flexible global digital comms budget, and monitor and regularly report progress to Head of Global External Comms
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- A skilled digital strategy mindset continuously focused on desired and measurable business outcomes
- Demonstrates ability to present unique or complex ideas, strategies, and identifies opportunities and connections that others do not
- Ability to anticipate problems and opportunities in the digital space, accurately estimate the likelihood of their occurring, and isolate their key drivers to manage them efficiently
- Strong communication and presentation skills that consistently exhibit professional maturity, confidence and competence
- Global understanding, acumen and the knowledge of how to work in an international structure and varied cultures
- Passionate about and knowledgeable of the pharmaceutical and/or life sciences sector
- Selects digital content style based on the desired stakeholder reaction and modifies it to be channel appropriate
- Digital content and messaging is compliant and consistent with organizational and corporate narratives, and effectively targets behavior change where possible
- Uses in-depth audience understanding to review and edit digital materials, assets and messages prior to being sent out for public or broad viewing
- Has thorough knowledge of audience’s key values and uses it to achieve digital communications and campaign goals and objectives
- Has a solid understanding of channel benefits and options and thoughtfully selects the most beneficial channel mix for the digital strategy depending on audience and desired digital outcomes
- Strong interpersonal and partnering skills, and able to work effectively work with multi-disciplinary project teams and within a multinational company
- Ability to work effectively with all levels of management and resolve problems in a timely manner
- Builds constructive relationships across the organization to build trust, rapport and effectively influence partners
- Confidently engages with senior leaders and provide strategic counsel and feedback on digital activity
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work with outside business partners, including digital and social agencies
- Ability to coach communications colleagues and business partners in core digital communications skills, strategies and best practice
- Provides leadership to and empowers direct reports to develop their own skills, capabilities and drive success for the business
- Initiates and maintains work schedule and priorities; must be able to manage workflow and handle multiple projects simultaneously in a high-volume environment, while meeting deadlines and attention to details
- Efficiently uses and promotes the full range of technologies required for the role, and remains open to learning and adopting new technologies quickly where needed
- Can connect the digital communications strategy to behavioral/tactical metrics and measures campaign success by monitoring all metrics appropriately, and effectively to translate findings into recommendations for action
- Coordinates team members effectively and efficiently by allocating accountabilities and delegating ownership of work
- Manages a budget and monitors and reports progress to key stakeholders
EDUCATION, BEHAVIORAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience working in a corporate communications, digital or social strategy related function
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in healthcare or pharmaceutical industry strongly desired
- Bachelor's degree; concentration in concentration in communication, journalism, political science, or business is preferred. MBA or other advanced degree desirable
- Expertise in integrated digital communications and campaign planning, including development, execution, and measurement strategies in the healthcare industry
- Demonstrated experience in crafting integrated, multi-channel digital strategies at a global scale; with a deep understanding of audiences and channels
- Experience of working with C-suite level executives and proven record of building and maintaining excellent stakeholder relationships – within teams, across the business, with senior leaders and external agencies
- Track record of successfully managing teams, and experience of showcasing and executing leadership in a multi-national, and multi-cultural scale
- Experience working with digital / social agencies
- Experience and understanding of multi-cultural, multi-country/region businesses is preferred
- Fluency in English
- Some travel required
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Discover more at takedajobs.com
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.
Job ID R0020700