Director, Business Operations, Global Evidence and Outcomes
Takeda fosters a collaborative and stimulating work environment filled with opportunity and the chance to make a difference in people's lives. It is a workplace driven by integrity, one of Takeda’s long-held values that extends to both the patients we serve and our employees who develop and deliver medicines. Across our company, Takeda employees bring together diverse strengths that together create a stronger whole.
As one of the world’s leading biopharmaceutical companies, Takeda is committed to bringing Better Health and a Brighter future to people worldwide. We aspire to bring our leadership in translating science into life-changing medicines to the next level, in our core focus areas; oncology, gastroenterology, neuroscience, rare diseases, plasma-derived therapies, and vaccines. The Greater Boston Area is headquarters to many of our Global and US business units.
We are a passionate team doing important work that impacts patients’ lives. If you are driven to create better health and a brighter future, join us!
What makes a successful member of our team? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Results Driven
- Team Player
Life at Takeda
A Global Top Employer
Recognized for our culture and way of working, we’re one of only select companies to receive Top Global Employer® status for 2020.
Check Out Takeda’s Cambridge Office
View a panoramic tour of the Cambridge office, study a map of the Takeda campus, and see all the amazing nearby attractions
Research & Development
By focusing R&D efforts on four therapeutic areas and other targeted investments, our aim is to thrive at the cutting edge of innovation that solves unmet medical needs, through internal R&D and in collaboration with cross-industry partners. We have the scale and expertise to be a leading global, Values-based, R&D-driven biopharmaceutical company with dynamic, focused R&D efforts.
Bold initiatives, continuous improvement, and creativity are at the heart of how we bring scientific breakthroughs from the lab to patients.
Since 1781, the values of Takeda-ism (Integrity, Fairness, Honesty, and Perseverance) have guided everything we do—from decision-making to interacting with patients.
Our people-first mission extends beyond patients to include their families, communities, and our own Takeda family.
Through trust and respect, you will have genuine support from leaders, managers, and colleagues to do your best work.
A strong, borderless team, we strive together towards our priorities and inspiring mission.
Recognized for our culture and way of working, we’re one of only 13 companies to receive Top Global Employer® status for 2020.
Director, Business Operations, Global Evidence and OutcomesApply Now
Are you looking for a patient-focused, innovation-driven company that will inspire you and empower you to shine? Join us as a Director, Business Operations in our Cambridge, MA office.
At Takeda, we are transforming the pharmaceutical industry through our R&D-driven market leadership and being a values-led company. To do this, we empower our people to realize their potential through life-changing work. Certified as a Global Top Employer, we offer stimulating careers, encourage innovation, and strive for excellence in everything we do. We foster an inclusive, collaborative workplace, in which our global teams are united by an unwavering commitment to deliver Better Health and a Brighter Future to people around the world.
Here, you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission.
The Director or Business Operations GEO, provides leadership to a team that ensuring oversight and management of GEO Operations including, but not limited to contracting, vendor management, project co-ordination, oversight for the financial planning activities and reporting within GEO. This will be achieved by:
- Providing strategic, process and functional leadership to the team
- Partnering with the Head of GEO to set the vision and direction for the team and development of an operational framework that supports the business needs of GEO
- Supporting GEO stakeholders with vendor selection, oversight & management
- Collaborating with GEO stakeholders to support contract negotiation, review and approval with legal
- Management of GEO newsletter in partnership with the Therapeutic Area Heads
- Manages the team budget
- Partners closely with the R&D finance business partner, providing integrated project management support for fiscal planning and oversight in GEO
- Management of metrics & KPI reporting needs in support of Operational Performance monitoring
- Special operational assignments to R&D-wide projects or initiatives
- Serves as functional manager to staff and builds a high performing team by selecting, developing and managing direct reports
- Provides direction and mentors/coaches team in driving for results; helps them break down problems; looks for opportunities where team members can demonstrate abilities; uses effective coaching techniques to refocus and address frustrations; leads by example (e.g. maintains composure under pressure)
- Leads the definition, creation, documentation and maintenance of processes for contracting, vendor mgmt. and fiscal oversight
- Provides oversight for the MRP planning process, quarterly budget updates, budget tracking and monthly financial reporting to GEO teams and leadership
- Proactively identifies issues before they arise and develops contingency plans; communicates issues to Head of GEO and manages issues to resolution
- Directs change management process in modifying processes to maximize efficiencies and realize GEO vision
- Maximizes business results through continuous process improvements.
- Contributes to the creation and maintenance of systems/databases for the purpose of tracking and reporting
- Assures that appropriate training and education programs are in place that meet long term strategies and goals of Takeda and personnel development.
- Ensures consistent application and knowledge of project management methodologies, processes and tools across the function.
- Proactively identifies process improvement opportunities to optimize GEO operations and executes tactical plans to complete the improvement initiative
- Works closely with GEO leadership team to contribute to the development and implementation of business processes, policies and best practices
EDUCATION, BEHAVIORAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s Degree science or business-related field
- Advanced degree in science or business is preferred
- Project Management Professional certification with PMI desired
- 8 - 10 years of pharmaceutical industry experience. Previous drug development experience is preferred (e.g. Clinical Research, Regulatory, CMC, or BDM or other development related function)
- 6 years’ experience as a project manager leading complex pharmaceutical projects in a multi-disciplinary, global environment
- Minimum of 5 years people management experience and/or proven leadership experience in managing a global, matrix team
DIMENSIONS AND ASPECTS:
Technical/Functional (Line) Expertise
- Strong knowledge of pharmaceutical industry and business operations / program management experience in a global cross-functional environment, with strong knowledge / experience in Medical Affairs
- Previous experience with contract management, negotiation and preparation and ensuring compliance with business processes
- Strong background in budget management with experience in developing process and tools to support effective fiscal oversight (i.e. tracking & reporting)
- Knowledge of the drug development and commercialization process, and an understanding of the functions within the pharmaceutical industry
- Proven ability to communicate clearly and present key information objectively and collaborate effectively with management
- Knowledge of regulatory and compliance guidelines governing medical affairs
- Applied knowledge of performance measurement (e.g. metrics, dashboards)
- Detailed knowledge of the pharmaceutical industry and extensive project management skills are required
- Demonstrated leadership skills and strategic problem-solving ability
- Proven people management skills: experience should include managing manager to Director level employees.
- Uses knowledge and interpersonal skills to influence and guide others towards the accomplishment of goals and objectives. Requires the flexibility and tolerance to best manage change and differing opinions with diplomacy and competence
- Experience building effective networks with internal stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to clearly and concisely communicate with and prepare presentations for Senior Management
- Proven skills in negotiation, influencing without authority and working diplomatically through conflict.
- Generates collaboration, cooperation and communication globally and between regions ensuring that CMO/GMA goals are achieved.
Decision-making and Autonomy
- Ability to predict issues, anticipate risks and solve problems
- Ability to articulate and establish processes which impact cross-functionally
- Ability to drive decision-making within a cross-functional and cross-cultural, global team structure
- Issue identification and independent resolution
- Flexibility, tolerance and diplomacy to best manage change and differing opinions
- Ability to work in a highly complex, multi-cultural, often stressful environment
- Highly effective written and verbal Communication Skills: ability to express oneself clearly and concisely to internal and external partners
- Demonstrated ability to clearly and concisely communicate/present key information to senior management
- Excellent organizational skills
- Effective negotiation and positive influencing abilities
- Proven ability to work effectively and diplomatically in conflict situations
- Experience in identifying and driving opportunities for process improvement with significant organizational impact
- Management of multiple tasks of varied complexity to enable successful delivery of multiple and/or complex projects within a single or across therapeutic areas for Global Medical Affairs
- Management of a project management team engaged in the delivery of complex Life Cycle Management strategies in support of global brands
- May travel to the US, EU and Japan offices and other meeting locations internationally. Approximately 25% travel is required.
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Discover more at takedajobs.com
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.
Job ID R0023268