Counsel R&D Contracts
Takeda fosters a collaborative and stimulating work environment filled with opportunity and the chance to make a difference in people's lives. It is a workplace driven by integrity, one of Takeda’s long-held values that extends to both the patients we serve and our employees who develop and deliver medicines. Across our company, Takeda employees bring together diverse strengths that together create a stronger whole.
As one of the world’s leading biopharmaceutical companies, Takeda is committed to bringing Better Health and a Brighter future to people worldwide. We aspire to bring our leadership in translating science into life-changing medicines to the next level, in our core focus areas; oncology, gastroenterology, neuroscience, rare diseases, plasma-derived therapies, and vaccines. The Greater Boston Area is headquarters to many of our Global and US business units.
We are a passionate team doing important work that impacts patients’ lives. If you are driven to create better health and a brighter future, join us!
What makes a successful member of our team? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Results Driven
- Team Player
Life at Takeda
A Global Top Employer
Recognized for our culture and way of working, we’re one of only select companies to receive Top Global Employer® status for 2020.
Check Out Takeda’s Cambridge Office
View a panoramic tour of the Cambridge office, study a map of the Takeda campus, and see all the amazing nearby attractions
Research & Development
By focusing R&D efforts on four therapeutic areas and other targeted investments, our aim is to thrive at the cutting edge of innovation that solves unmet medical needs, through internal R&D and in collaboration with cross-industry partners. We have the scale and expertise to be a leading global, Values-based, R&D-driven biopharmaceutical company with dynamic, focused R&D efforts.
Bold initiatives, continuous improvement, and creativity are at the heart of how we bring scientific breakthroughs from the lab to patients.
Since 1781, the values of Takeda-ism (Integrity, Fairness, Honesty, and Perseverance) have guided everything we do—from decision-making to interacting with patients.
Our people-first mission extends beyond patients to include their families, communities, and our own Takeda family.
Through trust and respect, you will have genuine support from leaders, managers, and colleagues to do your best work.
A strong, borderless team, we strive together towards our priorities and inspiring mission.
Recognized for our culture and way of working, we’re one of only 13 companies to receive Top Global Employer® status for 2020.
Counsel R&D ContractsApply Now
Counsel, R&D Contracts
- Support complex legal agreements of the R&D organization.
- Provide consistent legal advice on pharmaceutical product discovery, clinical trials, and research and development legal issues.
- Contribute to a company culture that reflects a strong commitment to patients, trust, reputation, business, employee engagement, diversity and inclusion.
- Under appropriate supervision, draft and negotiate agreements covering basic to complex legal agreements of the R&D organization; including but not limited to, cinical trial agreements, consulting agreements, master services agreements, licenses, supply agreements, and development and manufacturing agreements.
- With Manager’s guidance and in collaboration with other R&D Legal professionals, ensure consistent legal advice on pharmaceutical product discovery, clinical trials, research and development legal issues including healthcare fraud and abuse, pharmcovigiliance, product liability, antitrust, privacy, and other matters relevant to the discovery and development of innovative pharmaceutical products and any supporting devices;
- For assigned areas and teams, provide legal support to development focused global product teams and/or functions;
- For assigned teams, serve as a legal representative on global product team(s) and coordinating with other global colleagues as needed;
- Identify and analyze specific legal and business matters under appropriate supervision, with a focus on enterprise-wide reputational risks to the company and propose appropriate solutions;
- Proactively coordinate with legal colleagues globally to contribute to and to stay abreast of global pharmaceutical laws and regulations;
- Foster strong relationships with colleagues in the R&D function, compliance, commercial law, intellectual property law and other related groups within the global enterprise to create efficient and effective processes with clients;
- Contribute to cultivating a company culture that reflects a strong commitment to ethics, patients, employee engagement, diversity and inclusion;
DIMENSIONS AND ASPECTS
Technical/Functional (Line) Expertise
- Basic understanding of research and development of innovative pharmaceutical products;
- Experience in drafting and negotiating clinical trial agreeements and complex contracts
- Basic understanding of US laws and regulations of drug research and development
- Develop an enterprise view in developing and delivering legal guidance to client base
- Work with outside counsel as appointed
Decision-making and Autonomy
- Identify and as appropriate, contribute to leading and making process improvements to ensure optimal coordination of legal services and related functions to the global R&D organization
- Collaborate with legal and non legal colleagues that contribute to the company’s drug discovery and development efforts
- Have an interest in piloting new approaches to improve legal services in a risk appropriate way
- Experienced in drafting, negotiating complex legal documents in the pharmaceutical industry under appropriate supervision
- Experience in navigating successfully a highly matrixed global work environment
EDUCATION, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Knowledge of pharmaceutical industry and health care compliance requirements preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years in a law firm or in-house counsel role or similar experience drafting and negotiating complex contracts.
- Organized, responsible, detail-oriented and proactive.
- Capable of working independently and able to understand and incorporate legal guidance into work product.
- Strong communication and negotiation skills, ability to network across functions.
- Ability to multi-task and manage competing priorities.
- J.D. from an accredited law school
- Active membership and in good standing in a state bar
Job ID R0021051