Compliance Investigator, Americas
Takeda fosters a collaborative and stimulating work environment filled with opportunity and the chance to make a difference in people's lives. It is a workplace driven by integrity, one of Takeda’s long-held values that extends to both the patients we serve and our employees who develop and deliver medicines. Across our company, Takeda employees bring together diverse strengths that together create a stronger whole.
As one of the world’s leading biopharmaceutical companies, Takeda is committed to bringing Better Health and a Brighter future to people worldwide. We aspire to bring our leadership in translating science into life-changing medicines to the next level, in our core focus areas; oncology, gastroenterology, neuroscience, rare diseases, plasma-derived therapies, and vaccines. The Greater Boston Area is headquarters to many of our Global and US business units.
We are a passionate team doing important work that impacts patients’ lives. If you are driven to create better health and a brighter future, join us!
What makes a successful member of our team? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Results Driven
- Team Player
Life at Takeda
A Global Top Employer
Recognized for our culture and way of working, we’re one of only select companies to receive Top Global Employer® status for 2020.
Check Out Takeda’s Cambridge Office
View a panoramic tour of the Cambridge office, study a map of the Takeda campus, and see all the amazing nearby attractions
Research & Development
By focusing R&D efforts on four therapeutic areas and other targeted investments, our aim is to thrive at the cutting edge of innovation that solves unmet medical needs, through internal R&D and in collaboration with cross-industry partners. We have the scale and expertise to be a leading global, Values-based, R&D-driven biopharmaceutical company with dynamic, focused R&D efforts.
Bold initiatives, continuous improvement, and creativity are at the heart of how we bring scientific breakthroughs from the lab to patients.
Since 1781, the values of Takeda-ism (Integrity, Fairness, Honesty, and Perseverance) have guided everything we do—from decision-making to interacting with patients.
Our people-first mission extends beyond patients to include their families, communities, and our own Takeda family.
Through trust and respect, you will have genuine support from leaders, managers, and colleagues to do your best work.
A strong, borderless team, we strive together towards our priorities and inspiring mission.
Recognized for our culture and way of working, we’re one of only 13 companies to receive Top Global Employer® status for 2020.
Compliance Investigator, AmericasApply Now
Ethics & Compliance (E&C) focuses on what the organization needs by partnering closely with the business stakeholders to help create, support and enable an embedded ethics and compliance framework. We do this by
- Ensuring that our values are at the core of business conduct and underpin individual behaviours and decisions to effectively manage corporate risks
- Being a forward-thinking leader who anticipates the impact that changing regulations and public debate on topics of ethics will have on the business
- Taking a modern approach to the E&C operating model by establishing and maintaining a functional structure and agile framework, supporting the achievement of Takeda’s Vision 2025 and the E&C strategy
E&C will respond rapidly to changing environment and business needs, it is close to the market, and encourages and help enable ethical behaviour in line with Takeda’s values. By working in an agile manner E&C ensures the balance between stable structures, governance, processes and systems, and dynamic approaches to delivering innovative solutions to appropriately manage risks.
E&C commits to
- Act as role model for Takeda's values and foster an ethics and values-based decision making mindset in internal clients, partners and team
- Enable the organization to make ethical decisions in line with our priorities of Patient, Trust, Reputation, and Business
Collaborate across all E&C teams and partner with stakeholders in BUs / BFs and LOCs to embed ethics and compliance as part of the inherent way of work at Takeda
The primary responsibility of the Investigator is to assess allegations of misconduct, assign, conduct and document investigations of alleged violations of laws and regulations, Takeda’s Global Code of Conduct, policies or SOPs, across the Americas. The Investigator will:
- Plan and run global and/or local impact investigations for a multi-national, Japan / US listed pharmaceutical company
- Assess and manage the concerns reported and determine if an investigation is warranted. Develop and execute an investigation plan and supervise the work of internal/external resources involved in an investigation
- Support the Global Investigator in their role as the first point of contact for the relevant Business Units/Business Functions and subsidiaries in North American and Latin American countries (e.g., USBU, Plasma Derived Therapies, Global Manufacturing, Research & Development, Vaccines Business Unit, Corporate functions, and others) on matters of concerns raised and investigated
- Cover TBD BU / BF independently on concerns and investigations
- If required, also support investigations in regions outside the Americas
- Where relevant, oversee the execution of local investigations to ensure they are performed according to internationally recognized standards
- Partner with Human Resources, Ethics & Compliance and Legal departments on matters of investigations and disciplinary actions
- Scale up and maintain investigation capability internally including the balanced use of internal and external resources and expertise
- Manage vendors supporting investigative activities
- Drive building of local investigative capability to ensure consistency and quality of investigations across the organization. Identify, train and provide guidance to local E&C Officers and other personnel in charge of conducting local impact investigations
- Collaborate with the Compliance Risk Assessment and Monitoring Lead for outcome reporting with BU/BF Presidents to enable effective risk and control management
- Build local investigative capability to ensure consistency and quality of investigations across the organization. Identify, train and provide guidance to Compliance Officers or other employees capable of conducting local impact investigations
- Do regular assessments on the potential causes of misconduct and recommend areas to be reviewed to prevent/minimize that similar instances occur again. Work collaboratevely with the relevant Business Units/Business Funtions/Regional/Local E&C Heads and other relevant functions to proactively identify potential risk areas (internal/external) and support the development of case studies and best practices that would raise the awareness of key ethics and compliance risks and mitigate them
- Partner with the global Head of Third Party Management and perform confidential due diligence for mergers and acquisitions across the Takeda geographic footprint on behalf of the relevant leadership teams
- Provide regular assurance reporting on the overall investigations to Global Investigator, Head of E&C Investigations, the Chief Ethics & Compliance Officer and other key internal stakeholders
- Demonstrates ability to deliver results in a matrix organization
- Works cross-functionally and collaborates effectively with multiple business stakeholders including Human Resources, Finance, Group Internal Audit and IT
- Uses business acumen and insights to effectively manage investigations in the company matrix model including across multiple sets of stakeholders
- Communicates effectively with senior leaders
- Collaborates well with external consultants and experts
- Ability to interpret and contextualize rules, guidelines, policies, procedures and controls
- Sound and independent judgment in complex and sensitive cases
- Ability to prioritize and work on multiple cases/projects
- Uses analytics to build and keep improving the investigations program to ensure value added to the business
- Preferably, experience in managing M&A due diligence, including the use of external specialized companies
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- 10+ years of hands-on experience managing sensitive and complex investigations internationally including cases of fraud, harassment and corruption or equivalent
- Proven track-record in planning and executing corporate investigatons for a multi-national company
- Knowledge of the laws, regulations and industry codes relevant to the healthcare industry in the region and the applicable extraterritorial regulations (e.g., FCPA, SOX, , False Claims Act, Antikickback Statute, Prescription Drug Marketing Act, etc.)
- Good understanding of US pharmaceutical law, including fraud and abuse, anti-kickback and FCPA matters.
- Knowledge of the current compliance issues that the healthcare industry is facing in the region
- Experience in providing assistance with the development of remedial measures of risk areas/gaps identified during investigations
- Experience in managing teams of external investigators in fieldwork and forensics
- Spanish and/or Portugese is highly preferred
- Legal or risk background strongly preferred
Job ID R0021709