US Head, Global Regulatory Policy and Innovation
Washington, District of Columbia
US Head, Global Regulatory Policy and InnovationJob ID R0082855 Date posted Dec. 20, 2022 Location Washington, District of Columbia
About the role:
At Takeda, we are a forward-looking, world-class R&D organization that unlocks innovation and delivers transformative therapies to patients. By focusing R&D efforts on four therapeutic areas and other targeted investments, we push the boundaries of what is possible in order to bring life-changing therapies to patients worldwide.
Join Takeda as a US Head, Global Regulatory Policy and Innovation where you will serve as US Head for regulatory policy and advocacy activities, and US regulatory intelligence lead for therapeutic areas and regional teams as determined in collaboration with regional US, Japan, China and Global Regulatory Research and Intelligence colleagues. Lead and develop company relationships with key regulatory agencies in the US regions with a focus on rare disease development, regenerative medicines, digital and data regulatory issues (incl. RWE), patient focused drug development, clinical development, and life-cycle management. Lead team of 3 to 4 FTEs globally regarding policy and advocacy activities and work collaboratively with EUCAN, Japan, and China colleagues to deliver a work plan to meet that vision. Work with Global Regulatory Policy and Innovation (GRPI) team to create global and regional vision for drug development and regulatory environment. Also works closely with the Regional Policy leads to drive success at the regional regulatory interface.
With GRPI colleagues you will define and oversee the systems/processes to monitor the regulatory environment for changes that may have an impact on Takeda’s products and goals. As such bring functional excellence to Global Regulatory Policy and Innovation. Drive best practices and excellence in execution within the department and cross-functionally. Utilizing your experience to oversee the strategic assessment of external regulatory changes globally and, to work with subject matter experts within the Company, to drive or support the decision-making process to understand and prioritize the regulatory risks & opportunities globally: the internal impact analyses, development of strategies/ positions and drive for appropriate action(s) relevant to Takeda's Therapeutic Areas of focus and development projects.
As part of the Global Regulatory Policy and Innovation, you will report to the Head, Global Regulatory Policy and Innovation.
How you will contribute:
- Lead Global Regulatory Policy & Innovation, GRA, and Takeda on US-focused internal and external forums/networks as assigned. Provides impactful summaries and strategic advice, back to the business, regarding assigned internal/external activities. Provides leadership to influence the regulatory environment to meet business needs.
- Oversee GRA and R&D participation in US trade associations and pre-competitive consortia to drive effective networking and representation to ensure a one voice policy.
- Lead the development and execution a regulatory intelligence strategy for US region. Keep abreast of internal and external changes, trends, developments, and other dynamics relevant to the regulatory environment that may have impact to Takeda’s regulatory and access strategies and propose action plan.
- With GRPI colleagues, develop a US regulatory policy and advocacy strategy for Takeda. Work closely and partner with GRPI colleagues globally, as well as subject matter experts, and Public Affairs to build regulatory advocacy positions, strategies and tactics and facilitate engagement with regulators on key topics of interest.
- Oversee and have primary accountability/responsibility for the management and maintenance of special projects such as US Regulatory Affairs Priority Topic list, position papers, and regulatory issues/trends reports, as assigned.
- Maintain consistent oversight of deliverables. Keep GRA management and all internal customers, partners and stakeholders abreast of progress and provide interim updates on ongoing activities and current initiatives. Ensure issues are escalated when needed and encourage resolution at the appropriate level.
- Lead routine and ad hoc meetings within function and cross-functionally. Presents to senior management as relevant.
- Leads personnel within the US to ensure coverage for regional responsibilities; Elevates needs when necessary.
- BS – PhD, JD, MD, PharmD or equivalent strongly preferred.
- A minimum of 15 years pharmaceutical industry or regulatory agency experience. This is inclusive of 5 years regulatory experience or a combination of 10 years of regulatory and/or related experience in both development and post-marketing phases.
- Thorough Knowledge of regulations and guidance governing drugs and biologics in all phases of development, including post-marketing, with a focus on US and FDA, with a good understanding of basic regulatory requirements in other global markets (Japan, EU, China). Sound knowledge of intelligence tools and methods.
- Strong network with regulatory-focused trade associations, (e.g. BIO, PhRMA, FOCR, Duke Margolis) and knowledge of US regulatory agency structure and leadership.
- Understands and interprets complex scientific issues across projects and therapy area(s) of responsibility as it relates to regulatory requirements, regulatory intelligence, policy and strategy for the region. Proven track record working with a major regulatory agency, specific experience in government affairs or policy is also desired.
- Excellent collaboration/relationship building, strong influencing and negotiation skills, integrity and adaptability. Outstanding written and oral communication skills as well as managing and adhering to timelines. Proven success at stakeholder engagement across organizational levels and boundaries.
- Must be strong overall and able to train/develop staff in the area of regulatory intelligence and policy such as understanding broad concepts within regulatory affairs and implications across the organization and globally; proactively identifies regulatory trends and offers risk mitigation strategies.
- Ability to develop regulatory strategy to balance short and long term objectives, and support GRLs/regional regulatory leads to drive teams to make decisions and achieve deliverables within agreed parameters and timescales.
- Must be strong leader, working well with others, within global teams and communicating with senior leadership.
- Must be strong leader that creates vision for group. Inspires and motivates group. Takes stand on important issues in productive, respectful way. Able to mentor and develop skills of staff.
- Experience in managing personnel required; experience managing relationships with CROs and/or contractors also preferred.
- Willingness to travel to various meetings or client sites, including overnight trips. Some international travel may be required.
- Requires approximately 10-30%.
What Takeda can offer you:
- Comprehensive Healthcare: Medical, Dental, and Vision
- Financial Planning & Stability: 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs and company match of charitable contributions
- Family Planning Support
- Flexible Work Paths
- Tuition reimbursement
More about us:
At Takeda, we are transforming patient care through the development of novel specialty pharmaceuticals and best in class patient support programs. Takeda is a patient-focused company that will inspire and empower you to grow through life-changing work.
Certified as a Global Top Employer, Takeda offers stimulating careers, encourages innovation, and strives for excellence in everything we do. We foster an inclusive, collaborative workplace, in which our teams are united by an unwavering commitment to deliver Better Health and a Brighter Future to people around the world.
This position is currently classified as "hybrid" in accordance with Takeda's Hybrid and Remote Work policy.
Base Salary Range: $194,000 – 278,000, based on candidate professional experience level. Employees may also be eligible for Short-term and Long-Term Incentive benefits as well. Employees are eligible to participate in Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, 401(k), Charitable Contribution Match, Holidays, Personal Days & Vacation, Tuition Reimbursement Program and Paid Volunteer Time Off.
The final salary offered for this position may take into account a number of factors including, but not limited to, location, skills, education, and experience.
In accordance with the CO Equal Pay Act, Colorado Applicants Are Not Permitted to Apply.
Takeda is proud in its commitment to creating a diverse workforce and providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, parental status, national origin, age, disability, citizenship status, genetic information or characteristics, marital status, status as a Vietnam era veteran, special disabled veteran, or other protected veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws, and any other characteristic protected by law.
LocationsUSA - DC - Washington
Time TypeFull time
- Job Type Full time
- Job Level Senior
- Travel Minimal
Global Regulatory Affairs (GRA) develops and executes innovative regulatory strategies to provide life-changing therapies to patients. GRA has a strategic role in all stages of global product development and across the Takeda Enterprise.
At Takeda, we strive to provide transformational opportunities for every member of our team, and we empower our people to take charge of their futures. In an environment that fosters lifelong learning and a growth mindset, you’ll have the support you need to thrive — at work and beyond.
What makes a successful team member within Regulatory Affairs at Takeda?
- Oversee regulatory activities
- Provide strategic focus
- Collaborate cross functionally
- Ensure regulatory compliance
Where You Fit In
When you join our Regulatory Affairs team, you’ll help ensure the fastest, safest path for our treatments to get to patients. With colleagues who encourage you to question everything for better outcomes, you’ll be part of a team that’s deeply involved across each therapeutic area, from candidate selection to post-marketing.
At Takeda, you’ll join an environment with the energy and flexibility of a start-up. We continue building on our 240-year history as a global biopharmaceutical leader through our innovative mindset and lean governance. Find everything you need on our Regulatory Affairs team to positively impact patients’ lives while taking strides within your own.
We sit outside of the traditional disciplines, so we’re able to get involved in everything. Our role is to distill complex information and pull insights that give us a competitive advantage.Nahid latif Head, Global
Our internal research capabilities and external partnerships contribute to an R&D engine that has produced exciting new molecular entities (NMEs) across our core Therapeutic Areas. Check out our pipeline and see how we’ll continue delivering a steady stream of next-generation therapies.Learn More
What We Believe In
Our values of Takeda-ism are Integrity, Fairness, Honesty and Perseverance, with Integrity as the core. These are brought to life through actions based on Patient, Trust, Reputation and Business, in that order.
Our belief in putting people first extends beyond our patients — it includes their families and communities, as well as our Takeda colleagues and their families.
We are committed to embracing our differences, valuing different perspectives, and fostering a culture of respect, inclusiveness and empowerment.
Our embedded Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DE&I) strategy enables us to attract and retain exceptional talent, drives innovation, and helps address systemic inequalities in our communities.
Working at Takeda
Here, you will feel welcomed, respected, and valued as a vital contributor to our global team.
A strong, borderless team, we strive together towards our priorities and inspiring mission.
Bold initiatives, continuous improvement, and creativity are at the heart of how we bring scientific breakthroughs from the lab to patients.
Recognized for our culture and way of working, we’re one of only 15 companies to receive Top Global Employer® status for 2023.
Our people-first mission extends beyond patients to include their families, communities, and our own Takeda family.
Through trust and respect, you will have genuine support from leaders, managers, and colleagues to do your best work.
View All Regulatory Affairs JobsSearch
2023 Summer Internship - Global Regulatory Strategic Sourcing
Boston, Massachusetts Intern/trainee/apprentice Apply for 2023 Summer Internship - Global Regulatory Strategic Sourcing
Associate Director/Director, Global Regulatory Affairs Development
Cambridge, Massachusetts Regulatory Affairs Apply for Associate Director/Director, Global Regulatory Affairs Development
Senior Director, Global Regulatory Affairs CMC
Boston, Massachusetts Regulatory Affairs Apply for Senior Director, Global Regulatory Affairs CMC
We Take Action by Focusing on Our Four Priorities
- Create an exceptional people experience
- Responsibly translate science into highly innovative, life-changing medicines and vaccines
- Protect our planet
- Unleash the power of data and digital