Head Pharmaceutical Sciences, Business Process Improvement
Takeda fosters a collaborative and stimulating work environment filled with opportunity and the chance to make a difference in people's lives. It is a workplace driven by integrity, one of Takeda’s long-held values that extends to both the patients we serve and our employees who develop and deliver medicines. Across our company, Takeda employees bring together diverse strengths that together create a stronger whole.
As one of the world’s leading biopharmaceutical companies, Takeda is committed to bringing Better Health and a Brighter future to people worldwide. We aspire to bring our leadership in translating science into life-changing medicines to the next level, in our core focus areas; oncology, gastroenterology, neuroscience, rare diseases, plasma-derived therapies, and vaccines. The Greater Boston Area is headquarters to many of our Global and US business units.
We are a passionate team doing important work that impacts patients’ lives. If you are driven to create better health and a brighter future, join us!
What makes a successful member of our team? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Results Driven
- Team Player
Life at Takeda
A Global Top Employer
Recognized for our culture and way of working, we’re one of only select companies to receive Top Global Employer® status for 2020.
Check Out Takeda’s Cambridge Office
View a panoramic tour of the Cambridge office, study a map of the Takeda campus, and see all the amazing nearby attractions
Research & Development
By focusing R&D efforts on four therapeutic areas and other targeted investments, our aim is to thrive at the cutting edge of innovation that solves unmet medical needs, through internal R&D and in collaboration with cross-industry partners. We have the scale and expertise to be a leading global, Values-based, R&D-driven biopharmaceutical company with dynamic, focused R&D efforts.
Bold initiatives, continuous improvement, and creativity are at the heart of how we bring scientific breakthroughs from the lab to patients.
Since 1781, the values of Takeda-ism (Integrity, Fairness, Honesty, and Perseverance) have guided everything we do—from decision-making to interacting with patients.
Our people-first mission extends beyond patients to include their families, communities, and our own Takeda family.
Through trust and respect, you will have genuine support from leaders, managers, and colleagues to do your best work.
A strong, borderless team, we strive together towards our priorities and inspiring mission.
Recognized for our culture and way of working, we’re one of only 13 companies to receive Top Global Employer® status for 2020.
Head Pharmaceutical Sciences, Business Process ImprovementApply Now
At Takeda, we are transforming the pharmaceutical industry through our R&D-driven market leadership and being a values-led company. To do this, we empower our people to realize their potential through life-changing work. Certified as a Global Top Employer, we offer stimulating careers, encourage innovation, and strive for excellence in everything we do. We foster an inclusive, collaborative workplace, in which our global teams are united by an unwavering commitment to deliver Better Health and a Brighter Future to people around the world.
Here, you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission.
As Takeda’s R&D pipeline matures, Takeda’s Research Management Council (RMC) has declared that beginning with fiscal year (FY) 2020 the Takeda R&D organization will display an even more increased focus on execution to “Predictively deliver on our key development commitments”.
Subsequently the Pharmaceutical Sciences (PharmSci) organization will increase its focus on execution, business processes and accelerated transformation, in line with the Takeda R&D operating model, the Takeda R&D strategy and our vision to become an industry leading organization that “will partner with stakeholders and industry leaders to boldly deliver an increasingly complex portfolio. Pharmaceutical Sciences will be a world-class, patient-centric organization that attracts, motivates and retains top talent, and implement innovative approaches to deliver high-quality products”.
One year after the acquisition of Shire, with a doubling of the organizational size to over 700 scientists while being leaner on a headcount-to-program ratio, the addition of a European Site in Vienna (Austria) to our already existing sites in San Diego, larger Boston (USA) and Shonan (Japan), the Pharmaceutical Sciences organization sees itself in a unique position to further accelerate its transformation and rethink how we execute.
The Business Excellence and Transformation group drives the PharmSci focus on execution and our future vision and design. The objective is to deliver on behalf of patients world-wide the promise of a modality-diverse , innovative and accelerating pipeline in various development stages, reaching from pre-clinical, through clinical and pivotal-stage, all the way to medical device development and life cycle management (LCM) activities, that is furthermore heavily partnered.
The Head of Pharmaceutical Sciences Business Process Improvement will report into the Head of Pharmaceutical Sciences Business Excellence and Transformation and lead efforts to:
Create a culture of data driven, continuously improving and innovative business process design
- Manage a framework by which to lead critical, large-scale cross-functional business process initiatives and ensure delivery according to strategy and plan
- Tailor, promote, deploy and govern Business Excellence Framework for PharmSci and provide expertise and leadership to globally drive Continuous Improvement Mindset.
- Support development of next generation of business excellence experts.
- Identify internal or external training opportunities to support a continuous improvement culture. Advise on tailoring of content, if applicable. Mentor new trainees.
- Provide process improvement (Lean, Six Sigma, Agile) mentoring, guidance and support to PharmSci technical functions and project teams
Build, improve and manage current cross-functional processes that enable effective execution:
- Oversee PharmSci processes which provide critical input to governance and strategy meetings. Drive alignment with Therapeutic Area Units (TAUs) and other key functions within and outside of R&D
- Develop and execute against a PharmSci model and framework that is consistent across assets and continuously evolves based on lessons learned. Create and/or support PharmSci portfolio management processes.
- Implement business processes that support a sustainable approach to technical and execution excellence across the development continuum (R2D2C) and manage project team performance vis-a-vis the framework
Support PharmSci Transformation projects to map current state, identify improvement opportunities and define the PharmSci of the Future
- Lead the execution of complex global work streams within the future state design effort. Includes data gathering, analysis of current state and development and execution of future state design. Will include specific accountability as a business partner in defined area(s): specific technical functions, regions and/or therapeutic areas to identify waste, robustness and process issues within their value stream. Develop roadmap on how to reach the strategic goals for the extended value stream.
- Collaborates with cross functional teams and PharmSci technical functions, PharmSci Leadership and key internal business partners (Research, Global Manufacturing, etc) to ensure successful assessment, execution, and sustainability of such work streams. Integrates activities across project execution and transformation workstreams
- Surfaces capacity, pacing, and resourcing issues as well as any other “red flag” considerations that require PharmSci leadership attention or intervention.
- Ensures effective stakeholder engagement and communication (at all levels of the organization).
- Ensures timelines are adhered to and engages senior leadership with respect to significant risks, issues or barriers.
- Provide project management support to the Head of Business Excellence with primary focus on fully implementing the Business Excellence structure, governance and operating model.
- Generation of metrics and summary reports to support reporting to the PharmSci Leadership Team
- Contribute to creating and communicating an employment culture and values which attract, retain, and develop the most effective people.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- BS/BA degree required; Advanced degree preferred; MS/MBA preferred.
- Minimum 10 years of relevant business experience required; Pharmaceutical experience preferred
- Minimum 8 years project management and leadership experience
- Expert project management and process improvement (lean/six sigma/agile) skills preferred
- General Process Development, Research and Technical Operations experience including clinical development, commercialization supply operations, regulatory and compliance experience.
- Direct experience in CMC R&D in pharmaceutical industry or related field
- Experience working within a complex organization and demonstrated ability to work across functions and regions, at all levels where the incumbent may not have direct authority
- Comfort with ambiguity
- Self driven and clear track record of delivery
- Strong proven ability to manage large and global change agendas
- Ability to influence and work effectively with various business partnerships, regions, and cultures.
- Excellent communicator with strong written and verbal presentation skills
- Proven track record of leading and driving global scale business process transformation and organizational culture change as well as delivering on programs with complex business deliverables is a plus.
- Track record of successful leadership & management of medium to large, multi-disciplinary globally dispersed teams is required.
- Strong judge of talent with the ability to mentor and develop is a minimum requirement.
May require approximately 5-10% travel.
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Discover more at takedajobs.com
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please
JPN - Shonan Research Center, Vienna, Austria
Job ID R0020488